HOT 99.5 Radio Claim Linkin Park Are Almost "Mostly Finished" With A New Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jan 2, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

In a news post today from a radio blog at 99.5 Hot Radio, it is suggested that Linkin Park are actually "mostly finished" with their follow up to the 2010 album A Thousand Suns, citing that the band only have four more songs left to master before they begin the final touches on their fifth studio release.

The currently untitled album is tentatively set for a 2012 release, but nothing is set in stone or confirmed by Linkin Park themselves meaning that this news should be taken at face value as we don't consider "sources close to the band" an official source. Read the full article below and let us know your thoughts.

UPDATE: After Mike responded to the news we posted on Twitter with the following..

@LPAssociation: HOT 99.5 Radio Claim Linkin Park Are Almost Finished With New Album” M: is HOT 99.5 where we get our reliable news now?"

... Hot 99.5 responded via their blog post with an update, highlighting Mike's posts and then going on to say this:

"Mike Shinoda addressed this blog on his TWITTER TIMELINE today, asking if "Hot 99-5 is where we get our news now," when fans retweeted this post earlier.

He also reported that the station is planning to change formats to a Classic Country theme, branded as HOWDY 99-5, a reminder that you can't always place credit in rumor and specualtion, and a reminder that the band will post their official news as soon as they're ready!

He did not deny, however, that some new LP music had been played for their promotions executives at meetings in Los Angeles at the end of 2011.
    "

We honestly never expected such a response from such a scarce news source, and as stated in our post originally, this should be taken at face value and not something official or confirmed. Linkin Park fans are no stranger to the rumor game when it comes to a new album, so the safe bet would be to believe the guy who is actually in the band.

Source: Hot 99.5 via Sucre06

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

For what it's worth, the station is relatively popular (91,000 Facebook likes) and apparently has interviewed Joe Hahn in the past. So, who knows? Maybe they're right.

Linkinarmy

Linkinarmy Sins of our fathers LPA VIP

Also theres was a interview with Rick Rubin a while back where he said the band was a lot further along with the process than they were in previous albums.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

I'm just going to guess that "mostly finished" would refer to album artwork, etc.

But this was pretty unexpected.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If they're talking about fall for the album release, yeah that's definitely very possible as the band has always wanted to release an album in 2012/early 2013. This coincides with the whole "album every 18 months" statement Chester made, and it also means that...provided they started in December of 2010 on a new album, by fall it will have been 18 months. So I think this estimate is rather likely. Hell there's even rumblings that it will be out this summer. Time will tell.

Benjamin

Just noticed a tiny little grammatical issue in the title.

"Linkin Park Are Almost "Mostly Finished" With A New Album"

Almost should be omitted /grammarnazi

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Album's coming this fall guys!!!

[​IMG]

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I actually removed it and then put it back. The reason I left it was because the four tracks left to record would mean they're mostly finished. Still having the four tracks left to record means they're almost mostly finished. Yeah, I know it makes no sense at all but blame the way the article was worded, hahaha.

Benjamin

:FUUUUUU:

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Well, based on my belief that the band wouldn't take so long to release an album after mixing (which honestly doesn't take that long, unless Warner Bros. has some reason to stall), the 4th quarter + last 4 songs to mix statement doesn't make sense. Of course, the station said the abum "should be released in the fourth quarter of 2012" meaning they themselves don't know of a release date. So in that sense, it would make sense that the band is this far in the record process and I would agree that a summer deadline sounds likely. Honestly, the recent explosion of LP album news after a 3 month silence makes it sound a bit too coincidental to be false....but who knows. And also, this radio station is in Maryland....not sure if it makes a difference but my first expectation for album news would have been either LA or Europe...not Maryland. But....HEY, I hope Linkin Park contradicts me and surprises me. If it's really 4 more songs to mix, then the final master should be coming soon and then that would mean album release fun stuff would begin soon!

EDIT: IF WE HAVE A LPU CHAT OR SOMETHING SIMILAR SOON..................IT'S GOING TO BE AN ALL OUT FRENZY FOR THE BAND........WE WANT TO KNOW.
    Just like last year when an interview said the album would have 12 songs and Mike debunked that fast.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Awesome, lets hope there right. :)

Zane

I just feel like all this news, especially this article.....It's restarting the album waiting frenzy.......I LOVE IT :D
    Reminds me of March 2010 when everyone was heavily anticipating and unsure of everything. And then May through July was the most fun time I've ever had with a band and of course LPA.

Yousefelso

Yousefelso Hands Held High

Yeah I dont understand how only needing 4 tracks to finish would make for a last quarter release. Especially assuming that they are going to tour Europe this summer because of the show they have scheduled already. That means they wont be in the studio during that time in the summer. It seems unlikely they will stop right before finishing and then go back to it after some shows. I think it will either be completed before the summer or the station is wrong and it wont be until 2013.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Interesting! Like everyone here, I'm hopeful that this is true! One thing that makes me question what's going on though: by "master", are they just referring casually to the idea of "finishing" songs - i.e. "Dude, we have MASTERED this song! Another one in the can!" or are they talking specifically about the audio mastering of the album?

Usually, the mastering process is the final step in the audio chain and, generally, you would only ever undertake the mastering process once you were absolutely certain that your album was 100% complete in terms of writing, production, engineering and mixing. Typically, an album would be mastered all at once, since one of the main aims of the mastering process is to get a uniform, consistent sound across the whole album, from song to song. This makes me wonder what is meant by they have "about four more songs left to master".

I presume they must just mean "mastering" as in "finishing". I can't possibly see why they'd be in the latter stages of mastering, and yet still be the best part of a year away from a release date... It seems I have answered my own question...

Either way, can not wait for the next album!

Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Frackin Frackers (",)

OMG It's like Xmas again, fingers crossed the source of the news is a good one

Zane

Well, from the Making of A Thousand Suns, I know that The Catalyst was mixed and mastered before everything else simply because it was the first single. It's the only known separate mastering that I know of.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I'm wary of radio sources.

LOL What I've Done preview in March! This station will play it first! Everybody online to listen! ...........psyche!

Benjamin

4th quarter could mean October too. I too don't think it would make sense if the album took until December to be released if the given facts in this article are true.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right, that's true. I hadn't thought about the fact that the first single (usually released a good month before the album) would probably be mastered separately from the rest of the album. Good point!

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

This has to be bullshit. I don't mean to be that guy, but living in the DC area, Hot 99.5 is by no means some big reliable source, and if there were only 4 songs left to master, we'd already have a tentative release date, album artwork, announced U.S. tour dates, etc. Mastering happens just weeks before an album release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.