How can I optimise my Mac?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Dedicated, Aug 17, 2011.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Okay, pretty much I've got a MacBook Pro but recently (not sure why), it's started to slow and some things can take a while to load. Now I'm not sure if I'm just incredibly impatient but I'm getting sick of it. Even typing this I've had a random lag for what seems like no reason. I just find it weird considering I've not heard or seen these problems on anyone else's Mac that I've used. So pretty much, I'm just wondering how I can go about speeding up/optimising my system so this kind of thing doesn't happen. So far I've used OnyX to try and delete some pointless files and I've just deleted a load of apps/programmes that I don't use/need anymore, but yeah, any other suggestions? I mean, I've still got like, 200gb space left on my hard drive so I don't think there should be an issue. I looked into defragmenting but apparently OSx doesn't require it or something? I've no idea tbh 'cause I'm fairly new to Macs haha!

Any help's appreciated, cheers x

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Have you upgraded to the new Lion OS?

Even though I have a Mac, I'm not an expert on them by any means so unfortunately that's all I have for advice :lol:

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Use Linux?

Or back to windows it is for you...

:lol:

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I haven't upgraded nah, didn't really see the point in it if I'm honest. It's been running a bit better since I deleted a load of log files and stuff but we'll see if that stays the same way...

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I upgraded to Lion Os X and things actually run smoother. I like the interface. Way to easy to navigate. Also mine started slowing down(before Lion) and I just left it off for a day booted it up and ran one program at a time for the remainder of the day and it started to run smooth once again. I find if you leave it on all the time things start to slow down. And defraging is pointless and can actually slow down a Mac. The only time you need to defrag is if your memory is almost full.