How to Pull Off Robot Boy Live

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by Zane, Mar 13, 2011.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

So with the recent LPU chat with mike, he discussed the reasons and issues for why Robot Boy has yet to be played live. His primary reasoning for this was because of the song's densely packed multi-layers in vocals and how it'd be quite tough to pull off live.
    He claimed that if ever played, Robot Boy would be most likely a very simplified version of the original; meaning something probably like Pushing Me Away Piano Live. Well, my question to you is how would you feel about a dimmed down version of Robot Boy. Do you believe the song would lose the emotions or mood created by the multilayers or do you agree with a simplified version like Pushing Me Away. Or perhaps you have ideas for how Linkin Park could pull off a live version of Robot Boy. Personally, I have always seen Robot Boy live as a gang vocal song with Mike and Chester primarily louder than the rest of the band. And most likely, there would be pre-recorded backing tracks as well to help recreate the atmosphere of the original.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

If it indeed is hard to pull off, I say go with a simplistic version. There's no point in trying and failing to make it sound like the studio version.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

The band would know more than I do, but to me they would sound just fine if Chester and Mike just sang together the entire song and yeah, maybe have some gang vocals in there. It may not sound like the studio version, but I wouldn't care.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I dunno, if I'd want a version where it's just an acapella of the song with a piano. I think the synth bridge is a vital piece of the original song and chester's screaming in the background gives the song the energy and emotions. It's practically the life of the song that differs it from all else of ATS. I think even a duet of Mike and Chester with prerecorded in the background would even be amazing. I have high hopes for a well performed Robot Boy. It could be great live

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Im sure LP will give it a go soon.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Well, really, it wouldn't be too hard to pull of, just have the vocals simplified with Mike and Chester's vocals phasing in and out and add a sort of echo.

And play the rest like they do Jornada Del Muerto

jessiexo

jessiexo Well-Known Member

But harmonizing requires perfect pitch.. even now Mike is quite off-key for many parts, making it sound horrendous :p

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Make a unplugged version

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

It's live.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

They have VST plugins that can harmonize or layer your voice very easily. Come on, LP.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They could pull this off way more easily than Mike's making it sound like. Sure, there are over a dozen vocal tracks in the song, but you don't need anywhere near that many singers to pull it off. The main verses of the song are arranged in 3-part harmonies, with Mike and Chester doubled up on each part, so there are 6 tracks there. The "ooh-ooh" part from the intro is the same way, but it's in the background of the second verse as well, so there's 12, and there are a couple ad-lib tracks of Chester at the end, so I'm counting a total of 14 vocal tracks.

The easy way to arrange it would be to have Mike, Chester, and either Joe or Phoenix sing the intro/first 2 verses, sample the "ooh-ooh" part in the second verse or remove it entirely since it's an insignificant part anyway, and then have Mike, Joe, and Phoenix sing the ending while Chester goes off on his ad-lib section. Instrumentally, they probably wouldn't have to do anything unusual, other than maybe having Brad play the piano part while Mike plays the synth solo.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Yeah, I personally think Mike's excuse is pretty lame :lol:. It doesn't get any harder than The Catalyst and Blackout.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Is brad actually good at playing piano?

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

He can play the notes needed in Waiting For The End. chuckle.

jessiexo

jessiexo Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's good enough to play their songs. LP's piano parts aren't particularly difficult.

And about Robot Boy being live - I know it's live, but still... harmonizing requires better pitching than singing a solo... If it's off the frequencies don't fit and it's just =\

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

hire a choir.

Pez

Pez Awesome Poster

Just give the crowd a few Mics.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

Just grow a pair, and sing the damn song live and we would be too excited to care.:D Or else, Mike needs to make it up to us by singing No Roads left instead.:awesome: Just saying. The lesser of the two evils.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Harmonising doesn't require perfect pitch, it requires relative... Just sayin'... lol

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Mikes woahs in WFTE and decent because he's focusing on one pitch, so if he does the appropriate notes for most of the song the he's golden.