If Meteora Was Released First...

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by general41391, Jun 21, 2007.

?

If M Came Before HT, how would you feel?

1. HT was their first album, that is why it is my favorite "classic"

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Whatever came first would be my favorite.

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. HT would still be better! Sophomore curse? Not a chance.

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. M was always better than HT, no matter where it came from

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. MTM is my favorite.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. Another album of theirs is my favorite.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
    general41391

general41391 Well-Known Member

Would you like that better than Hyrbid Theory?

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

no, hybrid theory is an awesome album compared to most albums that get released, being released second wouldn't change anything. Profesional crytics think hybrid theory is a great rock album (well good crytics), and even if they reviewed without knowing if it was their debut album or when it was released they would still think it's a great album.

lpdaniel

lpdaniel Daniel

i choose
    Whatever came first would be my favorite.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

HT would still be better

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

I can't imagine HT coming out after M.

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

If Meteora came in first, then there would be a few problems here and there. Fans who liked Meteora would be disappointed with Hybrid Theory if it came as a sophomore album because there was a lot less guitar featured on the album, the outcome is quite unpredictable. However I still think that Hybrid Theory would get excellent reception for their sophomore efforts; better than Meteora. Its a confusing subject prior to why the first album would be considered as classic, but usually it represents the bands image and sound.

Roubin

Roubin Well-Known Member

I think they both have the similar nu metal sound. So, no matter if Meteora came before HT, both albums would be succesful.

Linkinp_Jib

Linkinp_Jib Member

i like both . Whatever came first would be my favorite. but actually i like HT most

Black Orchid

Black Orchid Active Member

HT was their first album, that is why it is my favorite

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't know, to be honest with you. It's really hard to imagine how I would think of Hybrid Theory had Meteora been Linkin Park's debut. I would like to say that, perhaps, I would still appreciate Hybrid Theory more than I do Meteora, but for any album, its predecessor(s) has/have an astounding influence on what you're going to think of the record.

What I think would happen is that, perhaps, I would appreciate Hybrid Theory more, but in the sense that the style that they put out (the whole rap/rock style) wasn't watered down with the sophomore record, but was made more exciting and more hard-rocking. Our complaints with Meteora was that it was just a watered-down version of Hybrid Theory.

Our other complaints were that some of the songs seemed like clones (In the End and Somewhere I Belong, for example). I think that we would most definitely have had the same issue (except, we'd be saying that In the End was a clone of Somewhere I Belong). I think that fans would have had a similar reaction to a sophomore Hybrid Theory as they did to Meteora. It's reception would have essentially been the same, but perhaps slightly better among the fans than it was with Meteora.

Really, though, we cannot determine how Hybrid Theory would have been received had it been a sophomore effort instead of a debut. We can only imagine. Personally, I think a lot of us are tricking ourselves into believing that we'd be loyal to how much we appreciate Hybrid Theory and that we'd still like it because it's the same record. As I said, though, an album's predecessor(s) has/have a good deal of influence on how you perceive an album. How else would we have given an opinion on Minutes to Midnight? I'm willing to bet you a lot of money that your opinion of Minutes to Midnight would have been extraordinarily different had Hybrid Theory not been released, or Meteora not been released, or actually, both had not been released. You wouldn't have had a previous genre to go off of. You wouldn't have that influence.

So, my answer is, I cannot determine it. We cannot change the past and we cannot mess with time to see how we would have perceived Hybrid Theory as a sophomore release. All we know now is this: Hybrid Theory was Linkin Park's debut album. It took the world by storm, and Meteora didn't live up to the expectations among the fans and critics. Minutes to Midnight had a bipolar reaction among the critics but it was extremely well-received by the fans. There is no way we can change this and to be honest, I'm kind of glad the way it is. I doubt Linkin Park would have been so successful otherwise.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

I think the timing of LP's run into the big time with their style of music was perfect. So for that reason I voted what ever came first would be my favourite. Although as I write this I'm not even sure if that was the right choice lol

Meteora would have made a huge bang. And Meteora would have been considered their "old classic stuff" and HT would be the new direction. In any case either one would have change music for the better. And HT would have been in the "sophomore curse" situation, where due to increase in downloading and such would have suffered sales wise.

It's a hard subject to debate. It's really difficult to compare music that was four years apart and where the age of download took over in the middle. I listen to both albums with equal pride and passion and just find it hard to split them.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Going on what Louis said about In the End becoming a clone of Somewhere I Belong, it's hard to imagine a world without In The End being known by anyone and everyone. And in all honesty it most likely would not be my favourite song if HT came out after meteora. It would have been something off of meteora, I'm certain of it.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

One of the major gripes was with Meteora's crappy lyrics as well. Well, they were a bit rushed releasing Meteora, which probably ruined any chances for nice, polished lyrics. But then, if Meteora was released first, they would've obviously had time to write those lyrics, and in turn, make better songs. I, myself, was a HUGE fan of the sample-centric songs on Meteora with the supplementing of guitars and other instruments. If these songs had better lyrics, they'd definitely be my favorite songs of all time. But, as we know...yeah, I don't need to go into it.

Xenogenesis

There were some lyrics that had problems on Meteora, such as Hit The Floor with "walk on eggshells all day long" is just weird and random stuff for me. Its easy to interpret that it means that your either being humiliated or it hurts walking on eggshells, but it just doesn't fit for me. Somewhere I Belong also had that rhyming problem with "heal, feel, real" which people made complaints about it being too immature or childish; not well thought out of it. There wasn't as much in depths into the lyrics in songs like Don't Stay as well, but in overall the album was about rocking it out.

By the way, I wanted them to release Meteora first and then get a Meteora remix on Reanimation... :p

Penny

Penny LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I voted:"M was always better than HT, no matter where it came from"!!!
    Much better work than HT!

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Linkin Park took about 4 years to make hybrid theory(rhinestone a demo for forgotten was on xero's release) and songs developed so much that they had a near perfect album, but then meteora was rushed and some songs were weak and underdone. So it's hard to predict an outcome.

Pacey

Pacey Well-Known Member

Mm, It would have been weird if HT was second because it would have felt like they were going backwards, meteora is far more developed musically. But I guess that's a given seen as Meteora actually did come second...

But I agree with the above about the rush.

Jammist

Jammist Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory was amazing...however it kind of introduced LP to the mainstream in a way that just worked really well. While Meteora surely had a lot of radio friendly hits, it was a gradual ease toward more creative and less radio-friendly stuff in my opinion...so who knows what would have happened if that was released first.

Xenogenesis

I still don't understand how about roughly 18 months of writing the songs and stuff would be a rushed product.

pushedaway

pushedaway Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. If Meteora would've came first, then i personally think that the fans would be expecting a much better effort from LP, just like the fans were expecting when MTM was about to be released, but when it came out, i mean it's still selling out and doing really well, but its not as strong as Meteora was or Hybrid Theory as an Album.