I'm having problems with IE on my new HP computer.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Scarlet, Jun 24, 2006.

Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

I have a HP Pavilion a1440n. I purchased it about a week ago. I have a problem with it though. Internet Explorer FREEZES A LOT. Everytime I visit a web page, write an e-mail, or click a link it just seems to stop responding and Internet Explorer closes. I'm very fustrated with it. I'm tired of losing all my work.

At first I didn't think of it as a problem becasue my older computer used to do it sometimes... rarley. But, as the days go by, my new HP computer continues to act up. Internet Explorer keeps freezing. This happens 10 or more times a day!--it's angering me.

I have virus protection and eveything is updated and safe. I visit safe websites just as I did on my older computer. I just don't know what to think of it anymore.

Here's more information on my computer:
    http://tinyurl.com/l58q5

That's a link to the Specs of my Computer...you know, info about RAM/Memory and stuff. ;)

Does anyone know what can possibly be wrong with my computer? Please help me out. I appreciate your concern.

BTW incase you need to know:
    Like I said, I already have virus and spyware protection. I have Trend Micro PC-chillin Antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper. My problem has nothing to do with viruses or spyware. My computer is protected and is scanned more than twice a week.

And my computer is brand new, so it has plenty of space (memory, ram, etc..).

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

First problem: HP
    Second problem: You're using IE

:lol:

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

use some other browser like opera.they're better.even netscape is good(atleast 4 me)

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Seriously though, I'm not quite sure what the problem could be, because the system seems to be well built. HP probably has some preinstalled shit.

Try reformatting with a clean copy of XP? Just download one, and use the serial on the side of your case.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

For the win.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Try going to tools>>internet optons

Try the delete cookies and delete files buttons.

I'd recommend using either Firefox or Opera from now on. Not as succeptable to freezing or anything IE is.

Scarlet

May I ask what is so wrong about having an HP computer? >:O Seriously.... what are you talking about?

Oh yeah... and what Explorer would be best to download? What works just as good as Firefox but is similar to IE when it comes to HTML codes? I have Firefox but sicne I work a lot with websites the coding doesn't show right. Only in IE.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
    Todd

If the websites you're making don't work in Firefox, then it's you who's doing something wrong, not the browser.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That is correct. In terms of the current standard of coding on the web, Internet Explorer doesn't make the cut and often uses very badly written code.

Firefox is probably the closest you're going to get to 'legal' coding results, as it were.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Ok...

First off, you probably bought some spyware and adware when you got your computer. What I'm getting at is that HP likely (read: definitely) installed some software in partnership with various different companies/ad agencies. It's all part of buying a factory-built computer...that revenue they make doing that helps them keep their prices very low.

Second: IE. The most vulnerable browser out there. Try Firefox or Opera (I use Opera). They're way less susceptible to attacks/spyware/viruses, as IE is by far the most commonly used browser out there. If you were writing browser-affecting software, which one would YOU target first?

Third: No antispyware/antivirus program is perfect. There's a chance (and based on your symptoms, a pretty good one) that something's slipped through and is now causing havoc with IE. I always cross-check spyware and virus scans with a second program (well, it's hard to do with an antivirus, but for spyware, I always run two programs for it back to back).

Fourth: Check your system resources. You have gobs of memory, but not the fastest processor - - yes, it IS dual core, but programs usually have to be written for that, and IE, AFAIK, is not. Therefore, it's only going to use one of the chip cores anyways, and 2.8GHz, while a decent speed, is definitely not the fastest. Also make sure you're not running anything else (system tray programs included)...it'll suck up your RAM.

Scarlet

Thanks "SmashPiliot" (don't know your name. lol) for that very informative reply. You said this: "but not the fastest processor - - yes, it IS dual core" I don't understand. Is my processesor any good? I used to have a Gateway.... are you saying that my HP processor isn't that good with IE? Do you think maybe I should have purchased another computer.. like a Gateway or Dell?

I have another question for all, I use Trend Micro PC-chillin Antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper. I used to use Norton on my Gateway. But I was told that Trend Micro PC-chillin Antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper are better than Norton. Have you heard of these programs and do any of you know if they are any better or if their safe?

Oh and SmashPiliot you said that I "probably bought some spyware and adware" ??? did you mean protection... the "anti" stuff? lol I'm confuesed?

Todd

He's saying your processor isn't the fastest there is out there, but it's the exact same processor you'd get with a Gateway or Dell.

No....he meant exactly what he said. Spyware probably came with your computer. Not anti-spyware, but the crap anti-spyware programs get rid of. Of course, don't call HP tech support for that, they'll deny it.

Welcome to the world of pre-built computers. Lack of options and preinstalled spyware to thank you for your business.

Canadian Joe

First things first, Norton is on my "Fuck ______" list. Norton sucks - it's bloated and it takes up a lot of memory, while still missing a lot of viruses/problems. Good idea to ditch it...sounds like you already have. PC-Cillin isn't too bad, but remember, nothing's perfect, and no matter how secure your PC is, you're going to get spyware/adware.

As far as what you should have done (you asked if you should've bought from a different company), what I was getting at is that the best thing to do is to build your own system. That way, you have complete control over what's in the case and what software gets loaded. With a third party building your computer, you lose that control (to a certain extent). And what I was referring to by saying "you probably bought some spyware and adware" is exactly that: PC manufacturers can keep their prices quite low by pulling some revenue in selling 'space' on every pre-built computer to advertising and traffic monitoring companies. The next time you buy a brand new computer, run a spyware test on it BEFORE you connect to the internet at all. You'll find gobs of the stuff on your system - - put there by HP/Dell/whoever.

Scarlet

Wow guys... I had NO idea they did that... putting spyware and stuff on the computers. Man that's strange. lol I always thought Norton was the best until my Uncle told me the exact same thing you all did. haha....

When I bought the HP Best Buy had some "Geek Squad" person come down to my house and set eveything up. I should have been watching him. But it's funny becasue when I first scanned it for viruses/spyware... I had like 5 or 8 of them. I was surprised by that. Who knows, maybe it did come with spyware.. haha.

Yeah, about the whole build your own computer... if I knew how and had the cash I would. You know what though... my uncle knows how to bulid his own computer. It's so cool.. haha He has like two screens and can burn like 5 dvds at the same time. He's totally smart when it comes to that.

But, I got my HP for my B-day. lol My dad took me to Best Buy and my Uncle (works there) told me the HP was the best one there. Thats why I was upset when one of you told me my problem was getting the HP in the first place. And know one told me why yet either! :(

lol.... Anyway, I called Best Buy helpline today. They told me somehting might be wrong with my Software ... the XP software and that I might have to re-install it. They also said their could be worse problems like with the actual computer. So now I have to test it. I had to press F1 for some different mode to satrt up... and now I have to keep it like that for an hour.... if the Computer freezes it means somethings worng with my Computer and they'll have to repair it (my dad'll proably get pissed and take it back... haha) or if it doesn't freeze I just have to re-install the XP shit.

Sorry for writng so much... haha just felt the need to inform you on what I'm going through. I'm on my Laptop now.... lol.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
    Canadian Joe

So they're having you reformat it a week out of the box?

Nice. Reason #49382 why I don't buy factory-built computers anymore. It's not as expensive as you'd think - - you're not paying for assembly or shipping if you buy the parts locally.

Anyways, good luck with the computer. Not sure what mode they had you enter (at first I was thinking safe mode, but that's F8), but it sounds like you might've got the bad apple from the bunch. Have fun reformatting...if anything, it's an excuse to grab a cold one and watch Futurama for a few hours as it goes :lol:

Todd

FWIW, Apple doesn't preinstall crap on their computers ;) The only prebuilt computers I will ever buy are Macs.

Scarlet

LMAO... My parents are pissed. Nothing froze up so the Computer people told me that it's the software. They said I have to Re-install the Windows software myself.. and that's when my dad came in yelling... GOD I hate when he does that. Anyway we did pay for a 3 year in home service plan so my dad even got madder. He told them to come down here them damn selves and do it. You know tommorow I think I might be packing this thing up. My dad spent a lot of money on this computer. There shouldn't be any problem with it in the first place!

They were going to show me how to re-install it over the phone... but you my parents didn't let that happen. Ahh! Well... I don't look forward for tommows crazy day... haha.

Thank you so much for everything and to everyone else who helped me and gave me nice advice.