I'm not sure you'll like it anyway...

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by hawk, Sep 12, 2010.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

This is the idea got in my head.
    Something Exclusive to VIP Members > More VIP Members > More Donations > Better Servers.

Similar to how the LPU works, VIP member's every year get a short MP3 download to maybe some LPA exclusive stuff (remixes - no illegal stuff). Maybe this will make more people want to become a VIP, so they donate and then you get more ca$h in which you can use to buy more servers....

*read thread title*

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

That would be a very good idea. In my time (lol i know), it was difficult to get some shows live and I remember the era when we used to trade exclusives via IRC. It was mostly old demos (that are out now anyway) but i'm not sure if lives are illegal or not... I remember when the new york show of 2000 was a must to have and hard to get. Now there's youtube so you don't get to have exclusives anymore. Man, good old times, I remember spending hours on IRC my parents would freak out cause the computer was on 24/24

The show i'm talking about

[video=youtube;oaMKOH0xnYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaMKOH0xnYY[/video]

Oh and the day I got this one I fucking cried of happiness

[video=youtube;qfvUTQILjVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvUTQILjVQ[/video]

But yeah this was 8 years ago.

I don't know if it's illegal to share those vids if they are on youtube... I mean people would totally dig having someone put those videos alltogether and create like a DVD thing

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I like that you're thinking but this idea wouldn't work on many different levels.

First, addressing the obvious: The copyright issues. We'd be providing copyrighted material in exchange for a subscription fee, meaning we would be profiting off the Linkin Park name, brand, etc.. Even if they're remixes, live content, etc., you cannot rightfully sell and/or distribute said material for money without written consent from the proper copyright holders, in this case, Warner Bros. Anything written and/or performed by the band is protected by copyright laws.

Assuming we could find a workaround, that still leaves several large holes in the idea. First off, why would remixers/rare collectors limit their exposure to a compilation album that would only be distributed to a smaller number of people when they can put it on YouTube or any music sharing service and gain so much more? Also, there's a reason that the new LPU business model doesn't include a music CD anymore, and it's pretty obvious: It's because no matter how "exclusive" and protective you try to make something, the internet will still find a way to pirate it. Even if the LPA strikes a deal with certain remixers/collectors who all agreed to provide LPA-exclusive content, there's nothing stopping people from sharing it with others and thus, the MP3 package becomes pointless. It's not a question of trust as it is the more obvious, "You can find almost anything on the internet!"

Finally, by shifting transactions into a sort of subscription style, that means we'd have to actively provide a service to the VIPs on a consistent basis (even if it were annually), and a varied package is something I don't think we can provide. I think it's safe to say that's why we're a fan site and not a fan club. We don't have those types of resources/financial backing to begin with. The reason we can ask for donations and stay in the clear as it is now is because we're a non-profit website and anyone who does donate is simply doing it out of their own kindness. As a way to thank those who donate, we offer the VIPs a little extra that regular members do not have access to, and even then, it's still completely dependent on the honor system. I'll also state there would have to be a pretty high minimum to justify a subscription fee that could support upgrading the servers.

Again, I appreciate that you're thinking, but this idea just wouldn't work.

Meryl_

Meryl_ Well-Known Member

That makes sense...

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Hawk, I'm going to say this bluntly; Can you stop with the copyright infringement ideas. Copyright infringement is a big business and if such an idea was to be implemented the owners of LPA who have no direct affiliation with the band, but merely a big fansite, can be taken to court for millions and as much as the idea sounds promising, it cannot work for the reasons stated above by Keaton.
    And as much as I sound like a downright bitch at the end of this post, it's all true.
    [video=youtube;CKVQqx13Cv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVQqx13Cv8[/video]

I just don't want LPA to be taken to court and shut down because of copyright breach that is all.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I read what Keaton said, I got it all down in my head and I understand why. I actually thought remixes were okay when I read this, which is why I actually posted the idea - but as Keaton said they aren't.