In my opinion, the band deserves to move forward with Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 22, 2017.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

They didn't deserve this. Linkin Park is their lives work. It is not easy to form a new band and break through.

With that said, Linkin Park's sound HAS changed a lot. Even with Chester, the band was unrecognizable this album cycle. I think they should take a long break and reassess everything but return as Linkin Park with a new lead singer. The focus on the live shows can be new material, but easier songs to sing like In The End, Shadow of the Day, Waiting for the End, etc can be done---none of the screaming songs i.e. A Place for My Head.

If this thread is "too soon" or insensitive in any way I apologize, but if for some chance a band member is lurking i just want you to know that I will support you guys no matter which direction you take your careers, but i think Linkin Park should move forward. What happened to Chester and what he did was tragic, but it was also fucking selfish and that needs to be said.

EDIT: I was angry at Chester when i made this post but who am i to call him selfish. Dealing with this loss with so many different feelings. Apologies if anyone were offended.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Lesley Weeks and blackout. like this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

No one deserves it. Linkin Park does not need to continue and it should not.

Mike and Brad were the brains but Chester was the heart and soul and without him there is no Linkin Park.

annie, Masquerade21, Filip and 5 others like this.
    thesungoesdown

How can you say no one deserves this? The band members do. Everyone is devastated by the loss, including me, but when reality sets in a part of what he did was incredibly selfish. Lead singers have been replaced before. There are precedents for this due to deaths or just bad behaviour (including STP when Chester stepped into Scott's place and blind sighted him). The band have families to support.

Mitch likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Paree

Paree I love my scars!

No one can replace Chester. "Dont let anyone take my place"

Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

An example of why that wouldn't work is the band, Three Days Grace. Their fanbase were fuming after the original lead singer was changed. Another example would be Queen, yeah people say Adam Lambert is good but others believe he'll never replace Freddie Mercury. Chester's voice is part of what made Linkin Park's sound to start with. Removing that removes the character from Linkin Park's music.

Ditching the screaming songs will cause uproar considering Faint and Bleed It Out are the main staples of Linkin Park sets due to the fact they're fan favourites. Remove them and live sets lose their bite.

Masquerade21 likes this.
    thesungoesdown

This is a load of politically correct bull shit. It's impossible to know what a person whose thinking of committing suicide is actually going through and it's irresponsible to sympathize completely for them and give them a pass because their unwell mentally for what society deems as unwell in this generation we live in with the emergence of the pseudo-science that is psychology and people with PhD's becoming "experts" on the human condition. It's so arrogant to even assume what is going on internally for anyone and how we should all behave towards someone who is " unwell". Thousands of years ago our ancestors are literally living outdoors fiending off predators and we've evolved to a point where we cry ourselves to sleep at night because we don't have friends. This is such a western problem. The Caitlin Jenner's, the tortured rock star, etc give me a fucking break. At the end of the day he has permentantly traumatized his family members and jeopardized the careers of his bandmates who have families. I just watched his interview as recent as 2 months ago talking about depression, and gave a very eloquent definition of clinical depression and acknowledged he's experienced this in his life, and clearly had the mentally facilities to say seek help for my FAMILY's sake, but he didn't. That is selfish .

EDIT: I just watched this:

It seems like he's already asked for help as he was seeing a therapist. I think part of what he did was selfish, but i won't pretend to know what he went through. I've gone through depression and anxiety since I was 10 but could never off myself for my families sake and i have a sensitive spot for children without their fathers because i lost my Dad when i was young so i hate that Chester did that to his kids. Apologies if this post offended anyone, i'm feeling a mixture of motions as it tends to come with suicide from someone you cared about: sadness, frustration, confusion, anger, etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Hans Muster likes this.
    Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

Wether or not they should continue with Linkin Park is not our decision. Our judgement is meaningless, it's only up to the members to decide if this is good or bad.
    They could move on, with Mike as the lead singer, or go back to Xero, or become Fort Minor, or whatever. I will accept all their decisions.

Lirial72 and Lesley Weeks like this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I hope they decide to continue as a 5-piece under Linkin Park. Nothing will ever be the same, and I don't think they should replace Chester at all. Take a long break, Mike can front the band and bring in a guest vocalist or two to fill some things he can't sing.

Edit: Particularly more female guests.

blackout. likes this.
    rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

I think it would be beautiful if they made an album for Chester, a tribute for him and Linkin Park. The latest album from the band, the end and goodbye. An album sung by Mike or maybe with songs with the voices of the rest of members. An album with a meaning similar like Nightmare from Avenged Sevenfold or The Grey Chapter from Slipknot. This would be nice, but now it's time to stay with friends and family. R.I.P Chester.

Lirial72, Agent and Captain-EO like this.
    Modern Guitar God

You made your points. Very aggressively but you made them. I have mental illness myself but it doesn't mean I can't be open to opinions like this. These are some valid points, regardless the approach in which you decided to respond.

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

First off, you seem to have lived for 1000s of years to have studied our ancestors and conclude they did not have any mental health issues. That's awesome! *sarcasm*
    2nd. Its not a western problem. There are high number of suicide rates in developing countries like india where mental health issue awareness is not even to the level it is in the west. So many indian publications are using Chester's death as a way to help spread the awareness of mental health issues because awareness back in India is incredibly low. That's why so many students kill themselves in India.

Just a few months ago, there was a college kid in India (bangalore or Mumbai, I don't quite remember) who live streamed himself drinking bottles of alcohol and eating various shit at a hotel and telling the viewers "see you on the other side" moments before he committed suicide (jumped out the window to his death). That kid was rich, had friends and seemingly had everything you'd think anyone would want. But that's not how depression works. You need to know that. I think people like you feel its so easy. "Just don't be depressed" or "man up, you have others around you".

Yes, Chester's death has led to so many issues surrounding his family and friends. That does not make him selfish.
    Why didn't he ask for help? How do you know that he didn't? We don't know so many things about why Chester did it. Alcohol might have triggered something in him during that day. Who knows? But stop calling him selfish. Chester was an advocate for mental health issues for so many years. If anything, the fact that he did so much despite all the shit that he went through was proof of how strong he was. So many would have given up ages ago.
    Jeez man, it's clear from your post that you know nothing about mental health issues. But at least don't be disrespectful about someone who used his life events to be an advocate for it.

kcg, Avo and Halfway Dwight like this.
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

You've firmly cemented your status as an absolute piece of shit human being, congratulations. Psychology is pseudoscience? Thinly-veiled transphobic jabs? Classic ignorant "suicide is selfish" statements coming from someone who has clearly never been down that road or else you'd understand it well enough to not say such a thing?

Fuck you.

Linkin Park can move on without Chester in time if that's what they decide to do, but you don't have to throw a dead man under the fucking bus to justify it.

kcg, polleo, lpandpie and 4 others like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Yeah, I had no idea how to respond to his post. It was stunning but then again, I never know if I'm right or wrong in my views regarding these things. I do have mental illness (meaning having been diagnosed and gone to psychiatric facilities). I've been around people who both have told me I'm imagining and have no real problems and people who have told me to be more open about my illness. In other words, people who have told me I'm being a wuss and need to stop thinking I have problems. And other people who have been diagnosed with mental illness telling me my views are validated.

I'm confused about what I think most of the time regarding this topic. My own family criticizes me for having mental illness (if you agree with the idea of mental illness) and believes it doesn't exist.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I wouldn't listen if they got a new singer. Chester and Mike are the reason I loved LP. Mike vocals on his own would be acceptable but getting someone new would be stupid. The LP name should retire.

Krizlinkin

Krizlinkin Active Member

The decision is really up to the band of course, but one thing is sure; Chester can not be replaced. But it would be very beautiful for them to do a song/album as a tribute to Chester.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I think the primary consideration should be what Chester would have wanted. Would he have wanted them to go on, or would he have wanted the other members of the band to move on and pursue new things? I honestly don't know the answer to that.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

Another consideration is whether or not this is something that could work. I really want to believe that it could but I just can't see how. All the existing discography relies heavily on Chester, Mike is just not a rock singer. I don't think any of us want to see a replacement.

And in case they continued with hiphop/electronic music, they wouldn't need Brad and Rob. As incredibly sad as it is, I really think Linkin Park is dead with Chester.

annie likes this.
    Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Seconding Astat in calling you a clueless piece of detritus. You have no idea what it's like to grapple with depression and suicidal ideation. You have no idea what it's like to spend the majority of your day hiding in the den, curled up in the space between the chair and the wall crying yourself to sleep, hoping that your heart will spontaneously give out so you don't have to face tomorrow and a constant refrain in your head calling you worthless and beckoning you to drag yourself past the door and across the street so you can take a leap in front of the next train. This caused me to isolate myself from my friends and my family and drove me to drop out of college after only a year to move back to the boondocks which only became more unwelcoming to someone like me, a queer atheist of mixed descent. In the years between then and now, I've gotten therapy and a job taking care of the developmentally disabled, but it still lingers and can be triggered by anything, may it be financial issues or the death of a client or a family member.

Chester doesn't owe you or anyone else a goddamn thing and the band doesn't owe you fucking shit.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

A lot of Hip Hop songs use a live drummer, they could still use Rob. If they did go Hip-Hop/Electronic I think the most realistic continuatio in that case would be Mike, Joe, and Rob