Is Brad a good guitar player??

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by P.D., Dec 26, 2006.

?

Is Brad a good guitar player?

1. Yes! He rocks!!!!!!

75 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. No! He sucks!!!!!!

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. He's O.K.

65 vote(s)
    42.8%
  4. Don't know

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Yeah, he mentioned it in one of the LPU interviews. I was there. It was pretty sweet.

But yeah, he's playing a Strat on the record evidently. So I have some confidence.

m1tch103

m1tch103 Well-Known Member

ive never really cared for fenders :-/. foolish as it may be, seeing as how i have a prs i have kinda closed myself off to everything but ibanez's and prs's :p.

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

i say esp and prs

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
    m1tch103

sep or esp?

[LP]Ori*[LP]

[LP]Ori*[LP] Guest

He said on one of his firsts interviews or something like that.. that he doens't play any complex riffs because of Linkin Park's songs.. The band has been always Nun-metal and didn't require any complex stuff to sound really like rock...
    In my opinion, he's really talented and I've heard he has improved and mastered new sounds with his guitar for the third album..
    Talking about guitars.. I want to heard Phoenix like really doing some complex sounds.. that should be interesting :eek:
    And anyone can make mistakes... and it has been confirmed by Brad and Chester in interviews that Rob is a "perfectionist" (dude, I don't know how to spell that word, but you know what it means), and so Phoenix, so probably you won't heard any huge or any mistakes at all by them two...
    Even tho' Mike, Brad, Chester and Joe has made mistakes live, they really know how to impro' and I think that's excellent.
    I've been in other concerts such as Fall out boy, My Chemical Romance, and others... that really mess up BIG in their lyrics and songs live.. and those bands kinda faint (lol) when they do a mistake and has to start the whole song again.. which by the way LP doesn't b/c they impro..:)

[LP]Ori*[LP]

[LP]Ori*[LP] Guest

Yeah.. I just noticed it..
    See.. If you are just any fan of LP you don't notice it but if you really know this band and their songs, it's obvious you are gonna notice it..
    Although, the mistake is not even that bold, and he did a good impro.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Please don't double post. Use the edit button.

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

o shit i meant ESP of course ;)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Well, in terms of Phoenix doing some complex things, Qwerty was actually built around an idea he had for a song, and Phoenix also wrote the guitar parts to From The Inside, having formally been a guitarist himself (Ironically, brad used to actually be a bassist as well.). Also, with Points of Authority, Brad wrote the original part and then Mike sliced it up to the skipping riff you hear on the final version which Brad relearned to play it live. So yeah..I wouldn't put it past both Brad and Phoenix to have improved, since the band always share ideas with each other.

m1tch103

didnt brad also do alot of bass recording on HT and reanimation?

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I think he did all the bass on HT, but not reanimation, 'cos phoenix had rejoined the band by then.
    :cloud:

nenemaru_18

nenemaru_18 Member

a friend of mine idolized him a lot!

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

well it's says so in the booklet. Brad Delson: Guitar and bass. But on the Papercut video you can see that Brad is playing the guitar and Phoenix the bass ;)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm pretty sure Phoenix just sits there nodding his head in the Papercut video while the others perform the song.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Wasn't that Rob?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Crap. :lol:

P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

wonder why he's doing that :S

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

brad did roughly half of the bass recording on "hybrid theory" - i don't know whether the dust brothers did all the bass parts for "with you". hell, i don't even know what they did apart from bass, if they even did that.

as far as i know, there were no re-recorded bass parts on "reanimation" (and no drum parts, either).
    brad and phoenix are both playing acoustic guitars in the "papercut" video. ;) and it's rob who is sitting there and nodding his head (and having his face warped, ha.) phoenix doesn't do the bass on the actual song; ian hornbeck did it.

i had that clip ages ago and i picked that [error] up the first time i watched it. i thought it was deliberate since that show was chock full of new intros and the like. ha. it sounded really good, so, yeah.

anyway, i see a difference in brad playing a wrong note and brad playing the wrong song or the wrong part in a song. the latter still sounds good and it doesn't mean brad can't hit the notes properly; he just plays the wrong part (or song) by accident but he gets the notes right and those parts always happen to fit well with whatever the band is playing. personally, i have never heard brad stuff up in concert. and i never expect to. if he plays simple parts, he plays them well and they sound awesome.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
    P.D.

P.D. Well-Known Member

I know that Ian Hornbeck played the bass on Papercut. and Brad is playing acoustic guitar and Phoenix acoustic bass ;)

and for the Re-Animation cd; Rob did all drum parts by his own ;)

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Dust Brothers did beats on With You (mainly the stuff you hear in the intro), not bass. Brad played bass on 7 tracks on Hybrid Theory: With You, Points of Authority, Crawling, Runaway, In the End, and Pushing Me Away. Scott Koziol did bass on One Step Closer, and Ian Hornbeck did bass on Papercut, A Place for My Head, and Forgotten.

I know on Reanimation, none of the drum parts were re-recorded, they either just used the original drum tracks or the remixers made new beats themselves. One of the studio journal entries mentions how Rob didn't have to record any drum parts, so he sat in the studio and listened to everything and gave opinions on how it all sounded. As for bass, off the top of my head, I know in the booklet for each individual song, it mentions who worked on what a lot of the time, and it says "bass by Phoenix" on P5hng Me A*wy and By_Myslf. I know each song didn't have all 6 members of LP working on it together (Brad was really the only guy that assisted Orgy on Pts.Of.Athrty, and Wth>You was almost all Mike, Chester, and Joe, etc.), so it's hard to say who played on what. The booklet gives a pretty good idea though.