israel-palestine

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by tunnelvision, Jun 25, 2005.

tunnelvision

tunnelvision Active Member

what do you guys think of israel withdrawing from the gaza strip?? personally i think this is MASSIVE history-wise. would really like to hear your thoughts......from anyone GENUINELY interested and has something to say worth reading. anyone else, please don't waste our time ^_^ thanks

Justin

Justin See you there

I think this is huge news. The region has been in a state of turmoil for centuries now. Transition is going to be really shaky. Palestinian/Israeli relations are strained but a lot better than when Yasser Arafat was in power. He didn't have much power anyways. What's worrying are the victories and huge public support for Hamas, which is dedicated to the destruction of the Jewish homeland. Although many Palestinian militant groups (including Hamas) have agreed to a truce, there have been daily attacks by independent groups.

The Israeli/Palestine conflicts are really complicated and go really far back; there's a lot of stuff I don't know about it.

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Glad that progress is finally being made. :)

The thing is, there'll be a bunch of angry people. I hope nothing huge happens. :eek:

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

ok i have mixed opinions on this. its a great idea because it makes a clear border and seperation between the two, but on the other hand it is going to get a lot of people angry and might cause even more trouble. there was a guy on the news saying he lost his olive plantation because of this as his house is on one side and his olive plantation is on the other. yes it may sound a bit pathetic, but that guy probably made a living off that and now it's gone.

tunnelvision

tunnelvision Active Member

thank god. theres other people out there like me who actually care.
    HUGS TO YOU GUYS!! anywho, a real real good site on the complete history of palestine/israel, kind of simplified, is http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/midd...tml/default.stm . its like a timeline. check out the whole section of the bbc site on the middle east, theres heaps on iraq and that too, it really is the most awesome site.

exactly. and already theres been israelis refusing to leave. it's funny tho, as in funny curious not funny haha, that for centuries these people have been living in practically warfare conditions, and now somebodys finally making the first logical step towards peace and they dont wanna leave. totally understandable of course, i mean it's their homes. therell always be somebody who opposes but thankfully the majority are happy to leave, and theres just the radical few. but these events are astounding to me personally, i mean this is the brink of what may hopefully be the end of one of the longest and majorest (majorest?? is there such a word??) arguments in our planets history. i cant believe how little recognition this is getting, which is why i praise websites like the above bbc one to the high hills.

not at all, in fact its a perfect example of why some people oppose the new plan. their whole livelyhoods and everything theyve put into them are gone, for who and why?? their lifelong enemies!! its like saying to that annoying guy who mows his lawns at 6 am"here you go mate, im giving my house to you and all my property because i hate you so much. dunno where im gunna go but i guess we'll see"
    hmmm...perhaps on a much grander scale, but you get what i mean??

but....despite all this, i am allowing myself to hope against hope that this will work out. of course, reality does hit when you look at the history of this and you think "yeah, right" but i truly believe that theres a chance here. a small glimmer of hope perhaps......

yes theres always the possiblilty of even more fighting and destruction and the situation getting worse. but what can you do but try, if you dont try you wont ever find out. ARGH its just so frustrating, peace already people!!