Just quit smoking cigarettes

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Nobody Can Shave Me Now, Sep 18, 2012.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

So, I just quit smoking. I'm on day 4. It sucks really bad as you're so conditioned when it comes to smoking and it really becomes tethered into a daily routine that involves many of the activities that one does. The withdraw is pretty amazing. :rolleyes:

I went cold turkey and plan to keep it that way. I've been tenaciously chewing gum. I think I need to eat :carrot:'s because I've been eating more food since I quit.

I know some of you are/were smokers. What route did you go; if you did quit? How did you avoid triggers? Also, what would you compare quitting with? I compare it with fasting on days end.

Yup :turrible:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

A close friend of mine worked on quitting cigarettes a little while back and he did it by adding vigorous workouts to his daily activity. For him, he was the type of person that needed to be occupied with something else in order to focus less on not being able to smoke. He still smokes on occasion, so I'm not sure how well that worked out.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

I Went 6 months and 2 months cold turkey. Stay strong buddy !!!

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

The best way to handle cold turkey IMO is to do something productive/important that you feel you don't make enough time for.

Focus all of your energy on that and none on smoking. The more you think about how you are not smoking, the more you are thinking about smoking, which is totally counter-productive.

Best of luck!

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

You can do it. :thumbsup:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

http://www.thevaporpro.com/

I wasn't, and I'm still not, looking to quit smoking cigarettes, just cut back drastically since the cost of a pack keeps raising every few months. I went from Marlboro to Pall Mall, if that tells you anything about prices. It's like going from steak to McDonalds hamburgers. But, anyway.

These little things are expensive but, I'm serious, it's quite worth it. And you can smoke them in-doors. That has to be a plus for any real smoker looking to actually quit. It's just vapor, so it's odorless. You have to buy nicotine juice (which is how it keeps your cravings at bay), but I've had the same bottle since July and I'm not even close to running out.

If you're serious about quitting, and going cold turkey is proving to be too hard and your being tempted to going back to cigarettes, this is a good alternative.

alton

alton New Member

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up. :sweating: :rasberry:

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

*hops on soap box* Do the right thing and quit! Smoking's bad, M'kay! *slips off box* ...ow, lol!

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I have to quit the ol' Mary Jane because I have to get my commercial drivers license for work. It's not so much a physical addiction as much as it is me saying to myself "boy I'm stressed, a doobie would be amazing."

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I quit as part of "Stoptober". I'm on day 3 now and I'm pretty much okay. I get the odd craving here and there, particularly because I'm on holiday at the moment so alot of my time is spent just relaxing and lounging around but to be honest I'm glad I can finally breathe properly again. :lol:

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Good on you guys. I never smoked, but, I know it is a hard thing to kick. My mom quit cold turkey when she found out that she had Breast Cancer. She was smoking a pack + a day. She smoked for 27 years. I think if you were to do it, that's probably the way to go... I know everyone is different, but, I'm just interpreting what I know.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Niacin and lots of water, if you do happen to fall back into the routine of wanting to smoke a joint when you're stressed. As long as you aren't a heavy user, that method will work. But, for something like that, required for a job, I wouldn't risk it honestly. If you really need the permit, go clean, get that license then toke that shit up when you do get it. A reward for yourself, so to speak.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The r/Dallas group had an event where we all quit smoking. I made a promise that I would be the last one left and so far I'm keeping to it. It's only been 7 days and only 2 of us are left.

How am I quitting? Cold turkey + the will to win.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

FTFY

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

That's my plan. And I can handle not doing it super often but when there's a week when I get stuck with one of the shit heads in the shop for 5 straight days I just fucking need it Lol

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I quit. It's been a little over 4 months.. haven't touched a cigarette. One day I just realized that my rate of smoking per day was increasing at a fast pace and decided it was time to quit. The will to live with a good health pushed me. I didn't have any withdrawal or anything... just told myself I wouldn't smoke anymore and I just stuck with it. The first week or so was quite difficult to deal with but after that it was all good.

Minus

Bullshit, we're all going to die anyways. I'm in it to win it, not live it.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

There's a phrase that sums what your saying, but I can't think of it for the life of me :kappa:

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Minus

A good way to quit cold turkey is to warm up the turkey.

No but seriously, a good way to quit cold turkey is to man up and just do it.