Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (UPDATE: Part 2 Now Streaming on iTunes)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Blake, Feb 11, 2013.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Agreed. I've had it on repeat all day.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

One of the best albums ever. And yes, I'm not ashamed to say I love Justin Timberlake.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Didn't like it much on first listen; doesn't touch FSLS, but it might grow on me. Mirrors has become a standout track for me now.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

REASONS WHY JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE IS AN AWESOME MUSICIAN:

1. His voice is beautiful even without Auto-Tune.
    2. He doesn't settle for simple, clichéd radio ready songs, even thought they eventually do become radio hits. Let me list some examples.
    "Cry Me A River" - Timbaland beatboxes, Gregorian chants, Middle Eastern riffs
    "SexyBack" - instant "WTF" reaction, inhuman & processed vocals, dirty hooks
    "My Love" - all-falsetto-everything, slow-as-hell beats, chill-as-f***-T.I.
    "LoveStoned"/"I Think She Knows" - pop, hip hop, funk, classical, rock and R&B in one song
    "Suit & Tie" - classy old-school blues, Jay-Z breakdown
    3. He makes songs longer than 7 minutes sound awesome.
    4. He's an awesome dancer, whether he's dancing for "My Love" or for bringing it on down to VEGANVIIIIIILLLE.
    5. He has an appeal that can reach to hipsters and rock fans. Members of Fall Out Boy, Flaming Lips, Matt & Kim, Coldplay and Keane have admitted their love for JT. Pitchfork Media, of all websites, praised FS/LS and declared "My Love" the best song of 2006. "FutureSex/LoveSounds" was the reason why Coldplay named their album title "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends", with "Lost!"'s drums inspired by "Cry Me a River."

I rest my case.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

To be fair, 2, 3 & 5 are more "Why Danja & Timbaland are awesome producers". I doubt many artists these days get to pick their singles without going through their label. I love JT, but people seriously don't give Timbaland & Danja enough credit. They ARE Future Sex/Love Sounds. Without them that album just would not be in existence. I remember when he was talking about FS/LS and he said he went to Timbaland and "I asked him if he could do five or six more 'Cry Me a Rivers.'"

I think JT is very talented both vocally and with instruments, but the other half is his production team. I find it weird when people say "Oh man that new song is crazy! But man Timbaland is falling off with his beats, they all sound the same now." Whut?? He produced the beat!

Sorry. I'm a producer first and sometimes get mad when the artist gets all the shine haha

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    The Joesen One

Wow, I can't believe I forgot Timbaland and Danja. :p
    I do have to admit Timbaland shined in FS/LS, and his production there was pretty spectacular compared to Shock Value II, to be honest. The 20/20 Experience was great comeback for Timbaland, especially after "Pass at Me" disappointed me. J-Roc was also great in contributing to 20/20. I still wonder why Danja didn't co-produce 20/20, though.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Pusher Love Girl and Don't Hold The Wall are my favorites, by far.

Justin V.

Oh man, Shock Value II.... we were all scared after that. You're right about J-Roc. I believe Suit and Tie is actually J-Roc mostly and not Timbo, but since people don't have the liner notes they just put Timbo on every track lol. I need to listen to the album again. I did the whole stream in one go and it was very tiring. It may be much better when I can just listen to a few songs and take a rest for them to sink in. My initial reaction was if FS/LS was a 9, this album is an 8.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Well there's also that new interview where Justin Timberlake cites Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin as the influences for the longer songs. So are you sure the producers get all the credit for that? And why do you think a song can't be great but also have a boring beat?

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

I still wonder if I should get this..

Justin V.

I'm speaking personally when I say that. The people I know will dance to a Timbaland produced JT song while simultaneously saying Timbo has fallen off. Or "I love everything about Mirrors but Timbo needs to do better." It's like they praise him but at the same time, just don't like Timbaland outside of the context of Justin Timberlake. Again, that's people I know that can love a song, but then hate on the producer or artist that helped make it because they don't like that person outside of that certain project.

I mean even you said he writes in movements. You have to agree that on FS/LS a big part of the multi-movement songs working was the production, which is what I think doesn't work on this album most of the time. They become less multi-movements in a song and more just.... a really long song that kind of goes into an outro that is another 4 minutes. I did feel bored listening to this album, even with the great production, because the songs are just too long for no good or interesting reason.

Pusher Love Girl is basically 5 minutes. I was feeling the switch up at first. Then it was just "okay move on". The changes aren't nearly as interesting as FS/LS, but I imagine they will translate much better live when you have the energy of an entire crowd. I feel like he was trying to provide that live, jam energy on the record and it falls flat most of the time for me. And then he's playing the shortened versions live.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Justin Timberlake- The 20/20 Experience (Part 2) [November]

20/20 part 2 is coming in November.

This aligns with the previous statements saying that 20/20 experience would have 20 songs and that he wrote 20 songs for the album with Timbo.

I personally think he is making up for the long time he has been gone.

So who's excited? Will it beat part 1?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Eh. I never think it's a good idea to do double albums or put out two albums so close together, because the second album will almost certainly just be more of the same. It's kind of set up to be disappointing. But 20/20 Experience is great so...maybe it will be fine.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

:dafuq: Didn't expect this.

Good, good. The first part was great.

The Joesen One

It's not really confirmed. It may be tweet from ?uestlove, but we haven't had an exact confirmation from JT himself.

Then again, Timberlake is full of surprises.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

List all of your legitimate sources and explain why we should believe them.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Favourite songs: Tunnel Vision, Let the Groove In, Mirrors, Blue Ocean, Dress On, Body Count.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Does "Strawberry Bubblegum" make anyone else really uncomfortable?

"Tunnel Vision" is a real standout to me.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

:lol: Zak

http://www.rap-up.com/2013/03/17/justin-timberlake-to-release-20-20-sequel-in-november/
    http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php...c_id=11868379&mesg_id=11868379&page=#11868537

A guy named scarves

and this thread http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=403589.324

plus others

and everything adds up to it, just waiting for JT to say

but JT did record 20 songs for the album, so it makes sense. We will just wait but it's coming *inserts work smiley from KTT*

Strawberry Bubblegum grew on me. I just love everything about the first part. S&T is my least favorite. Imagine if part 2 ends up being better D:

EDIT: Why was it moved, they are two different albums? Should have contacted mods and explained not to have them merged.

It's like this:
    http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=403589.324
    and
    http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=341204.0

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator