Kanye West - Yeezus

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by RazorEye, May 19, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

It's not even about the content of his lyrics for me. It's the quality of them. I'm not expecting '94 Nas from Kanye, but there is some laughably bad shit on this album. It's not a total deal breaker, just a little disappointing.

I'm with you on the production skill critiques, though. I guess the production isn't for everyone, but I like that it's abrasive and rough around the edges. It fits the mood of the album.

2. EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

If this hasn't been said before, this album to Kanye is A Thousand Suns to Linkin Park. You're going to love it or hate it. It's polarizing, and even though it shows hints of some old work, it's a completely new sound that's heavily electronic and dark, which will take some getting used to for those who expected the "All Falls Down" or "Celebration" type songs.

3. RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

:ditto:

4. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

From an interview with Rick:

Just two days before the album was supposed to be turned in, five songs still needed vocals. "Don't worry, I will score 40 points for you in the fourth quarter," Kanye allegedly told Rubin. "In the two hours before he had to run to catch the plane [to Milan], he did exactly that: finished all lyrics and performed them with gusto," Rubin said.

Now it all makes sense.

5. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

After two listens through, this seems like an album you have to try to like. I don't think that's a good quality for an album to have. It's a very abrasive album that, in my opinion, is flat-out annoying in parts.

This coming from someone who is only a casual fan of Kanye, meaning I'm not that invested in hoping new material is as good as "album X", etc. Really liked his stuff on Watch The Throne, and that remains my favourite stuff from him.

6. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Hah no wonder most of the lyrics are so terrible.

7. Justin V.

It is kind of a niche album for someone who is a hip-hop fan. Not many fans are going to be like "Oh man, I love Chicago House! This is perfect!" Someone big into Death Grips might like this.

So I wouldn't say you have to try to like, but you just have to be one of those people that happens to like what influenced the album and like Kanye West. On the flipside, WTT is what I've liked least from him. A few of the beats were great, a lot of them felt like throw away beats. I think Watch the Throne = Half-assed Jay-Z album + a half assed Kanye album. The best beats were mainly not Kanye (No Church, Niggas in Paris, Who Gon Stop Me).

Besides the lyrics, my only gripe is the length. I want more!! "I'm In It" is my jam!

8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, I like abrasive textures in the hip-hop that I listen to so I'm pretty sure that "Yeezus" won't disappoint me. :)

9. Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

I'm a fan of Kanye and I was excited about this album. After listening to it however...eh. Doesn't have any replay value for me.

10. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Went [for the first time] over "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" ... and shit, it makes "Yeezus" look a little pale.

11. Justin V.

To me they're on the opposite end of the Kanye West Production Scale

Crazy Ornate <- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > Minimal
    MBDTF - Late Registration - Graduation - College Dropout - 808s - Yeezus

12. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;Vns-81egipQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vns-81egipQ[/video]

Probably the most honest review I've seen so far. Although I don't necessarily agree with the rating, I do think he brings up some valid points ("Like Jesus would even care").

Even so, that doesn't take away the fact that I still enjoy the album and have been listening to it during the last couple of days (without getting tired of it).

I've read your review on the album, Rahat, and you clearly did not like the horns on "Blood on the Leaves" at all haha, so much was clear. But I loved them, made the song way more powerful to me (the horns are courtesy of TNGHT, who co-produced that track).

In other words (if you hadn't figured out already), it all comes down to what you think about the album (as it should always be). Opinions are always gonna differ.

13. Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

LOL I wrote that review while I was high. I should give it a listen while sober I think.

14. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Hahaha gonna give your review another read tomorrow. This should give it an interesting, fresh perspective :rastamike:

15. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

They're supposed to be different and Kanye has clearly succeeded in setting "Yeezus" apart from all of his past work.

16. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That was great! Kept my attention the entire 15 mins, which is difficult to do.

17. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Yeah Fantano's review really summed up my feelings towards the album. I'd give it a 3/10 at best.

18. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The first four tracks blew me away. I really liked the aggressiveness about them. I've listened to those four tracks quite a lot, and I really like them.

The rest of the album was okay.

19. snailharvest

snailharvest nice

The first track and Black Skinhead are the best imo. I love the production on those. I love the production on most songs. The musical side is my favourite of the whole album. The lyrics aren't really my cup of tea, but they're not /bad/. That's coming from a casual Kanye fan though, like someone said earlier.

Enjoyable, and different. Props to him to making something that'll please him, and not his fanbase. I do prefer WTF over this, though.

I like this album though.

20. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Having only heard "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and "Yeezus", I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol: