Kerrang! Reviews Minutes To Midnight

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

You can listen to something without reallying listening to it. I don't know exactly what Will did, but it is very possible to go into hearing something and subconsciously decide it will be crap before the first note is played.

EDIT: It is just as easy to decide it will be genius before the first note is played of course. Which is what Will believes a portion of the "fans" are doing.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I didn't like the two songs that I'd heard ("Given Up" and "What I've Done") before the album, so I was preemptively judging the album based on those two songs.

When I listened to the album all the way through the first time, I had an open mind. I didn't like it. I listen to so many different styles of music that you'd find it hard to believe that someone can do something like that, but to hear all those different styles of music mushed together on one CD was overkill. The second time I listened to it through, I listened to it with an open mind again, thinking maybe it would change my mind. It didn't, it was just as bad as I'd thought it was the first time I listened to the album. Even the third listen didn't do anything for me.

I think the album is all over the place. There's no flow to any of the songs, and the good songs end way before you think they're going to. The songs the band hyped up the most ended up being the worst songs on the disc for me. The lyrics were extremely cliché, too, to the point where I'd say that some of them were pretty emo in nature.

I realize they were trying to change their sound, but they did it way too drastically, and they didn't do a very good job at it at all. The idea is good, but there's just no consistency or flow to the album whatsoever.

I had a friend listen to it (who equally loves and hates some LP songs) and he said the album was complete trash, just like I said the first time I listened to it. He took a four-hour road trip today and listened to nothing but the album, and said nothing changed his opinion: He hates it because there's no flow or consistency.

I think the only good songs were "Bleed it Out" (but only Mike's rapping), "Hands Held High" (which needed to be another 10 minutes longer) and "What I've Done."

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's a hit and miss. Just like every other album LP has come out with.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Well...it's like the other albums...I don't necesarily like every song...but at least I can listen to every song without having to force myself...and the few songs I really like are definately gonna be worth listening to on the album in a couple days...

(but...I have to agree with will...eventhough I like the album overall...it's just too many diferent directions jammed into one...)

actually...I'm confused... XDDD

Petey Pop

Petey Pop New Member

I've listened to the album about 4 times, hoping that it would grow on me, but it hasn't. Its my least favorite LP album to date. Definately does not have a natural flow to it. Seemed as if their music hasn't evolved but rather, was forced. This would explain why the songs don't compliment eachother well for this album.

Just my .02 cents.

chaosblade

chaosblade Well-Known Member

Although i like most of the album tracks individually, Will's right. The consistency (or lack of) here is all over the place. What surprises me is that Mike said in his post about the leak that he wanted even those who downloaded a leaked copy to listen to it in the correct order.

All in all.. I'll probably buy the album (i cancelled my pre-order for now) because i respect the band individually as artists (Mike Shinoda is a really amazing person in my eyes), But as for being my "favorite band" (if such a notion still exists in my day and age).. I have no such anymore.

kev_

kev_ Well-Known Member

3 out of 5 sounds a little low, I'd say 3.5ish. I'm not in love with the lyrics but the instruments have progressed a ton. It's not like Hybrid Theory where everything on the guitar is power chords in drop D. Even if Brad's solos on the last two tracks weren't the most difficult I would say they fit well. Also, the drums were more difficult and sounded good. I personally love the style of music. I my opinion it's the best album yet. The only thing I would change is the amount of samples and synth drums. A little but too much for me. What I've Done is an example of a good use of samples, Shadow of the Day is a bad example.

panza

panza Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is, after 2 years of working, 150 songs writte, everybody was expecting something that would almost change music history...me too. And I was disappointed. But then, I listened to it as a normal album, without any expectations and I think some songs are fantastic and I just stuck on my mind, while some songs I can't listen to the end and I just skip them, like leave out all the rest...it's too...sticky-poppy-radio-friendly. when it comes to ballads, their epic sound just seems too pathetic to me. In between is not epic, it is sung by mike and is really nice and little tings were just too hyped, that solo is too simple, brad could give a little more feeling into it, it sounds like he's been learning it note-by-note

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

I agree with Will I could not get into this album, theres way too much diversity. Feels like i'm listening to Fort Minor one minute then AFI the next, it just doesn't feel right, and it's deffenetly my least favourite of theres to date, both musically and lyrically.

The songs I like from the album are: Given Up, Bleed it out, No more sorrow, What i've done and TLTGYA (just barely). The rest I actually can't stand listening to :(

arbaks

arbaks Well-Known Member

this was as big dissapointment as Spiderman 3!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant believe they both turned EMO, its like a freaking plague...

there's no edge at all, i cant believe i was yawning hearing this horrific boring album...

and im not happy saying this because i love tha band, i wish everything goes well for the guys but im not buying this album...

this isn't even rock anymore its like Maroon 5 mixed with something reaaaaly bad...

and i was one of the people waiting for a change not somethig this bad

good luck anyway...

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

honestly, lp is not a metal band we all know that, so the fact that the album isn't incredibly heavy shouldn't be bothering anyone. its not like lp is compares to killswitch engage or somthing along those lines of how heavy they are. the fact that this album is less heavy really doesn't matter. so far what i've heard i liked...im a hahn fan though i hope he's in it enough.

maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

yeah, for a Linkin Park album, they DEFINETLY have won me over once again after hearing this album..Chester sings so good, and Mike's rapping is good on the songs he raps on. LP forever in my opinion. I think "Minutes to Midnight" will be another number 1 album for them. Both "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" were number 1's, i dont see why "Minutes to Midnight" wont be.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory never made it to #1. it did make it to #2 though.

Nothin*2*lose

Nothin*2*lose Well-Known Member

It's all a matter of self opinion. I myself hate WID but love Given Up. Overall the albums a bit hit and miss and I think the Kerrang! reviewer got it spot on with the review and 3/5 K's, It doesn't deserve any more or any less.

Seroth

Seroth New Member

To be honest, a 3 out of 5 is higher than I'd ever rate this album. I've been a die-hard LP fan for years, Hybrid hit like a bomb, liked it instantly back in the days. Reanimation had awesome remixes, and meteora...well, it had to grow on me a bit, but I really started to like it after listening to it for a few times.

As for this album though...it's just wrong. LP killed every single aspect which made them LP to me. I'm not saying the entire album sucks, some of the songs are...reasonable. But most of 'em are uninspired, slow, soft, and just...not LP material. LP defined their style back in the day with the rawness of their songs. Deep guitar riffs, awesome beats and scratches from mr. han (where the hell is mr. hans usual solo song on this album?) emotional lyrics and grunting from chester mixed with awesome raps from mike...but now? The lyrics are bland, trying to sound way too much like [insert stereotypical emo-band]. Not that their lyrics haven't been emo in the past, but hey, at least they had more meaning to them (to me at least), and the music made up for a whole lot. Their songs used to be catchy, raw, hard...but now it's just...I dunno. I can't even describe this crap. I looking forward to this album for years, but now that it's finally hit the shelves, I'm glad I downloaded this first instead of buying it straight away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big LP fan, they've done too much for me in the past to just give up on 'em now, and there are a couple of songs which are 'likeable' on the new album, but this really didn't turn out the way I hoped it would. I hope the remaining 136 songs are gonna be recorded some day, because at least a couple of them should sound like the old LP we all know and love...and that's what I'm gonna be waiting for right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.