Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Brandon, Mar 7, 2012.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

[video=vimeo;37119711]http://vimeo.com/37119711[/video]

Help spread the word about Joseph Kony so that we can bring him to justice.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Ordered my action pack yesterday, so good that this is happening.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I hope this movement on the Internet isn't just a flash in the pan

Liz

Liz ChainsawLiz LPA VIP

Thank you for posting this. Was just about to do the same! I've donated! And actually written to a couple of Swedish newspapers hoping they will write about it!

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

This.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Wow, so many emotions. This is the kind of this I have always wondered..... we go off into Countries Like Iraq because of the leaders attacks on humanity to their people and we could never do the same in Africa. WIth the right resources this COULD happen. I'll share!

Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

well, it depends on people like you and me.

ordered the action box.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'll post the video around as much as I can. It's really depressing and maddening to see that we (as in the US) waste our resources in countries such as Iraq, but men like Kony get away with a lot more than just murder. I will try to donate when or if I can to help raise awareness so Kony can finally be stopped.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I watched the video and yeah, it's pretty damn disgusting that these things happen. However, am I the only one that is iffy about this campaign?

I don't know, maybe I'm just too sceptic towards stuff like this but let's just say my spidey senses are tingling...

Also the way the man says in the beginning "let's do an experiment" is kinda weird to me. I mean, this IS a project meaning to save child soldiers etc. To me, it's kinda wrong to call it experiment in these circumstances.

I do think they're actually trying to do good but if that is really the case, well, I don't know about that..

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I'm not sure what kind of ulterior motives this guy could have. Worst comes to worst, you're out a few dollars. I've wasted more money than that on useless shit.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

A lot of notice being put on this subject here at campus, and even back home. I've been posting the videos around trying to get people to pledge.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Not talking about the guy, 'cause like I said, I'm sure he's trying to do the right thing. Like you said, we in the West pretty much throw away our money for luxury products while there are f.e. people starving to death somewhere else.

But there are quite a few things that I've read that make me doubt whether or not this campaign really is helping (although the intentions are well meant):

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/
    http://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...n-and-koen-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra
    http://www.wrongingrights.com/2009/03/worst-idea-ever.html/
    http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

See what I mean? There will probably be some things off in these articles but you cannot disagree that the campaign is not as perfect/ideal as they claim it to be.

I'm not here to say that Kony isn't evil because he is, the things he has done in the past are cruel, sick and someone should just torture him the way he tortured others. Neither am I here to doubt the good intentions of 'Invisible Children' but the majority of the people are now persuaded by a 30 min. long video. That's it, in most cases no further research is done and that's where I get iffy.

I'm not accusing the campaign or the organisation of anything but until further research has been done, I'm kinda staying on the sidelines. That doesn't mean I think nothing should be done about things like this, like I said before, what that Kony guy did is wrong beyond imagination and there are many people like this in the world who need to be stopped.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

April 20th is gonna be epic.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I understand. To be honest, I'm not 100% comfortable with the endgame being more military intervention. There's a quote in one of those links that talks about "The White Man's Burden," and I got a hint of that in the video posted. We in the west have this compulsion to save everyone and get involved in conflicts that we only have a tenuous understanding of, and we often hurt more than we help. You're definitely not wrong in being apprehensive.

I think it comes down to perspective, really. Does the act of raising awareness outweigh the negatives? No charitable/humanitarian organization is perfect (even the Red Cross has been involved in some questionable activities), so I guess it comes down to whether or not you think the ends justify the means.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Made me think of this...
    [youtube]UbAjxltPmuI&ob=av2e[/youtube]

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

If I may pose a question, where did all this come from? I'd never even heard of this guy before yesterday, and now it's all I see on every site I go to. Why did this blow up like this? And why hasn't anyone even attempted to do anything about it before?

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Helen Ukpabio, a Nigerian witch-hunter who targets children, needs to be brought to justice as well, but I don't think many people know about her and her disgusting actions.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Well the video was uploaded to Youtube 2 days ago, so I'm guessing the entire campaign just started yesterday/today.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

It's easier as a collective whole to target on extinguishing one "fire" at a time.