Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Brandon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Words of the wife:
    While that attention was great for raising awareness about Joseph Kony, it also brought a lot of attention to Jason and, because of how personal the film is, many of the attacks against it were also very personal, and Jason took them very hard," she said.
    Well Jason is an adult man with a message "Stop at Nothing", and by publishing a video like that he knew was gonna have two kind of responses, as every other human on earth. Rebecca Black managed this better than him, and she was 13 with millions of dislikes just as she stepped into the YouTube world.
    These justifications are all a bunch of bullshit.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think we should all donate to the cause of getting off in public. I don't think enough men and women let their naughty bits fly, and Jason's brave display of solidarity with public masturbators is not only inspirational, but also a call to action for all the men out there who have been afraid to let their flag fly.

Society knows not what's best for us. Jason is a hero to all. Let it all hang out!

3. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

My sarcasm meter just went through the roof. :lol:

4. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

:lol:

5. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I think since I'm the one who started this thread, it's only right that I post this video now.

[video=youtube;k1FKS1SHSsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FKS1SHSsc[/video]

6. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

That was ROFL.

7. shinformant

shinformant Banned

This is like admonishing a diabetic for not being able to eat high sugar foods, because everyone else can. Not everyone's mind works the same way. You're also comparing someone who recorded a novelty pop song to someone who tried to spearhead a socio-political cause - enough said really.

Man's clearly had a breakdown. At least acknowledge that instead of just kicking him while he's down.

8. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

It's not what they did, it's the response they got. She's a teen and got bullied, menaced of death even. If you don't understand what I'm saying, avoid to respond, or read better. Or inform about the facts. You probably donated already, I'm sorry for you.

9. shinformant

shinformant Banned

No, I don't support Kony 2012. That doesn't mean I can't think you're being a dick. Skimming through this thread all you've done is blow smoke, cherrypick and accuse anyone who challenges you of being deluded without directly acknowledging what they have to say. I feel sorry for you.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

If you read my posts in other sections you might discover I'm a normal person who likes to joke often and surely doesn't get unsympathic in many circumstances. If I threw up a lot of bad stuff here is because I don't believe in this shit and is my right to do so, and proves ("breakdown" of the video leader and Uganda people responding to the video) have shown at least I wasn't 100% wrong, maybe 40% of the things I said were bullshit to many, but the 60% right was admitted by nobody, so why should I aknowledge anything coming from others either.

I support what I think is worthy to be supported, I don't get a heart-melt for a single humanitarian act, specially if it smells fake or for profit. Most of all, I became EXTREMELY bothering since an ADMIN defined me "ignorant" for a -back then- very little opinion. That was the spark to everything I said after. Worse even that he misunderstood half of the things I've written.

Not you nor Mark nor me nor anybody else wears Jason Russell's pants so no one knows the real truth, ergo there is liberty to have diverse opinions.

EDIT: On last sentence, I swear, there was no pun intended, it came like that!

11. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Just the fact that only around 31% of the money donated to the Kony 2012 cause only goes to actual charitable organizations, most (if not all, most likely) go to the Ugandan government, who's just as bad as Kony is, if not worse. His regime and military actively encourages and practices rape, torture and pillaging of villages.

But, I mean, whatever. Lollerskatez, he masturbates in public and shit, NOW the campaign is a joke. How.... very typical. The entire premise and foundation of this organization is the Ugandan government, that's it. That's some viral warfare shit. Trick people into donating money to stop this random guy that none of US, the intended targets of this glorified "infomercial", and make it seem like he's the Antichrist incarnate. Meanwhile, this entire campaign supports and funds the Ugandan government, not the guerrillas, which is Kony. Kony is trying to overthrow his government, this is how they play.

While they're doing the same crimes Kony is, if not worse crimes, they're getting all of this money from willing Americans (and those abroad, I'm sure) and governments from around the world discussing Kony (probably for the first time in many cases, I'm sure).

Sure, it's a good thing really, because Kony does deserve everything that's coming to him. But that's not to say those that provoked this entire situation, the dude who was jerking off in public, and even the Ugandan government, shouldn't just get to walk away from this without having to answer for a lot of things (and hopefully some severe punishment).

12. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm doing that.

14. HybridBharath

HybridBharath Well-Known Member

This is an issue that's been going on for a long time and i dont mean the Kony one but the situation where kids lose their parents and become slaves/soldiers. Some guy posts a 30 min video and now all of a sudden people care?

15. shinformant

shinformant Banned

Storm, it's your right to not support this campaign if you don't wish to. As I've already stated, I don't either. However, it is actually extremely fallacious and ignorant to accuse those who do not agree with you of being brainwashed and what have you - I wasn't even arguing on behalf of the charity, for goodness' sake. You're not exactly in the greatest position to get riled up over the doubts of others regarding your own sincerity, unfortunately.

Let me try to help you understand where I'm coming from. I have first and second hand experience of various different mental illnesses, and have worked with various different charities in that field where time has allowed me. The number one problem that they face and seek to combat is the mass of various misconceptions and taboos surrounding mental illness, and knowing what I know and having worked on their side anything that suggests such attitudes can be very disheartening to me.

As far as what is confirmed to have happened is concerned (and this does not include public masturbation, funnily enough, not that that would change anything) it is very much a textbook mental breakdown. Now, I wouldn't wish that on anyone... except maybe Mel Gibson, or Chris Brown, or Rick Santorum, but I digress! If he were, say, a paraplegic, and he'd suddenly encountered a problem with that you'd almost certainly have been less likely to make fun of him, irrespective of who he is, and that is my main point of contention here. The fact that people who initially rejected his campaign on grounds of righteousness and genuine compassion have reacted in such a fashion smacks of ignorance and cynicism for the sake of cynicism.

16. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Rebecca Black is 13, makes a corny song, gets death threats and publicly shamed for it by millions and millions of people for no other reason than people think it's lame = handles it like a champ

Jason Russell, 33 makes a video, gets glorious media hype and fat checks for it, only for some people to call his intentions/plan of action into question = complete and incredibly public mental breakdown.

Just throwing that out there.

17. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm not trolling, and I'm going off topic, but I actually respect Rebecca Black after all that. She didn't go nuts, she actually made other videos and was able to poke fun at her own viral video. I was impressed.

18. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Be like World Vision and let only 33% of the profts reach their cause.

19. shinformant

shinformant Banned

If we're going to keep at this irrelevant pissing contest, at least represent them both fairly. It's been over a year since Friday (which was, I reiterate, a novelty pop song) and in that period she has actually had enough people embrace her for her to forge something of a career off the back of it, so if everyone else is insisting we only take everything at face value I would say either
    a) she's in at least as good a position to just take whatever angst she may have to the bank.
    or
    b) it's just as much a case of her doing a really good job of dealing with it as it is Russell doing a bad one.
    This is also after she had to leave public school due to bullying.

Also, saying Russell only recieved "some" criticism is a pretty big understatement.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  20. Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

For once. Casey isn't talking shit out of his ass and has valid points. And why are we conparing a youtube pop sensation who abused autotune to a real life dictorship, that we suddenly give two craps about thanks to the project Kony 2012? Really pissing on the pavement people.