Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by RazorEye, Jun 5, 2014.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

[​IMG]

As you've probably heard already, there's another album besides The Hunting Party coming out on the weekend of June 13, and it's on the polar opposite side of the musical spectrum! Lana Del Rey is set to release her highly-anticipated second studio album Ultraviolence. The album is also co-produced by Lana with The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach!

Three tracks have been lifted off the record so far; "West Coast", "Shades of Cool" and "Ultraviolence". Listen to the three tracks below!

[video=youtube;oKxuiw3iMBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxuiw3iMBE[/video]

[video=youtube;KuX_xwghhsw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuX_xwghhsw[/video]

[video=youtube;EJSk2RySqKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJSk2RySqKg[/video]

Viper224

Viper224 Well-Known Member

So far this is my favorite song from the album

[video=youtube;T5xcnjAG8pE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5xcnjAG8pE[/video]

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I'm going to need a lot more time with this album because right now the songs just feel so repetitive and boring to me. They sound the exact same.

And I liked Born to Die.

Kaique Smart

Kaique Smart There's nothing to fear but fear itself

Ultraviolence is by far my favourite of the four.
    West Coast is great too.
    Shades of Cool I haven't really got into it.
    Brooklyn Baby is okay, but I need to listen to it a couple of times more.

So, in my opinion: Ultraviolence > West Coast > Brooklyn Baby > Shades of Cool

What I've heard so far isn't bad, but I hope the rest is better.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I love what she's doing so far, I have to give props to her for not selling out and staying true to her work. That's what a true music artist is all about, but I'd respect whatever she does. Maybe that makes me a bit of a blind fan, but I think she makes genuinely good music, and I support whatever she does. I can't wait to her the rest, and I'm just as excited for her as I am the new Linkin Park album. I will be buying both to support them. That week should be a good week in music for me.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Has anyone listened to the album yet besides me?

My favorite album of the year, I think. Comes close with 'Elements' by Kina Grannis for me, but I think this beats it. I'm only on my third listen so far though, however, I have played certain songs more, just third play through as the whole album. It doesn't help that tho album is an hour long :p

But this album is good, very good for the entire Hour. I'm a bit eh on Money, Power, Glory because she is full of yourself and my person beliefs are that money is the root of all evil and you shouldn't chase after power. But my beliefs aside, the song itself sounds very good and well done.

My favorite tracks after first two listens: Guns and Roses, Florida Kilos, Pretty When You Cry, Sad Girl, Ultraviolence, and Cruel World.

Edit: after 3rd listen, My favorite songs are: 1. Guns and Roses 2.Florida Kilos/pretty When You Cry (haven't decided which one I like more) 4. Ultraviolence

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Nicholas

Good album, about what I expect from Lana.

My top 5 favorites are

1. Ultraviolence

2. Old Money

3. West Coast
    4. Fucked My Way Up To The Top :kappa:

5. Florida Kilos

Blake

This was my only complaint on the album. The song is good but... She couldn't be any more creative? Like, really?

Anyways, how does this compare to the other music you have heard this year?

Kaique Smart

Kaique Smart There's nothing to fear but fear itself

I have listened to it a few times. I didn't like it much at the first listen to be honest, but it really grew on me after a few more listens. It's pretty good, but I don't think it's as good as Born to Die.

Favourite songs so far: Ultraviolence, Pretty When You Cry, Sad Girl, West Coast, Brooklyn Baby, Money Power Glory, Guns and Roses and I Fucked My Way Up to the Top is kind of catchy, even though the lyrics are meh.

Black Beauty is good too, but it's an old song, so, I don't know.

Cruel World, Old Money and Shades of Cool are okay, but I haven't really got into them. Maybe they grow on me after a few more listens.

The Other Woman and Florida Kilos
    probably won't. Definitely my least favourite songs.

Nicholas

I have a huge crush on Lana, but my soft spot for LP is just too high. I might have to rank THP higher, but that's only because of how much of a fan I am. Oh, and I'd rank Coldplay's "Ghost Stories" higher as well, but again that's due to the huge soft spot I have for them (Next to LP, they're my favorite). The Fray's "Helios" was pretty good too, but I think I might like "Ultraviolence" more. As for other music artist/bands I listen to with an album that came out this year, I'd say "Ultraviolence" is better than The Black Keys "Turn Blue" and Foster The People's "Supermodel". There's a few other music artists I listened to this year as well, but only singles or not their full albums so I wouldn't be able to fairly judge.

Overall, compared to what I've listened to this year, I'd place "Ultraviolence" at #3. I think this is a very good album, but Born To Die appealed to me a bit more, this is a much darker album. I actually liked the more pop-oriented side of her. However, I think it will grow on me and I'll appreciate it more as time goes on.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Dan has gone on record calling this record "real narco swing". It's going to be a departure from the more hip-hop based Born to Die. I'm still very excited for the album.

Lana: Dan said that everything on the record, all the songs have this kind of narco-swing. So whereas the beat and the verses on “West Coast” were really direct, the chorus naturally slipped into this half-time beat. I just remember everyone at the label being like, ‘God, it’s getting slower at the chorus?’ And we were like, yeah!

http://radio.com/2014/06/12/lana-del-rey-interview-maleficent-ultraviolence/I love it!

Blake

To your first sentence, LP is a top 7 band for me but if an album releases better for me I will rank it above such.

Anyways, good response! Glad to hear you like it! For me it's the best album of year as for, with 'Elements' by Kina Grannis close behind (and possibly better, just as of now, Im putting it behind, could change). 'In The Lonely Hour' by Sam Smith sits at #3 for me with 'The Hunting Party' at #4.

However, 'X' by Sheeran comes out in two weeks and will probably beat them all.

As for this album itself, I just love every song. It has more a chill side to it and it's very smooth. Smooth throughout the whole album. Just every thing sound well crafted besides the lyrics to "F@cked My Way Up to the Top." That's really the only downside I can see from this album. It just sounds so good. My favorites are still the same as well but probably different order:
    1. Guns and Roses
    2. Ultraviolence/Florida Kilos
    4. Pretty When I Cry

As for 'The Hunting Party' the three albums I had before have no bad songs on the album, whereas I think THP has 2 bad tracks and that "The Summoning" is pretty useless. If the two tracks I don't like were any good whatsoever, It would probably be #1.

Nicholas

I feel like I should listen to this guy, he's been getting a lot of attention lately. I'm usually late when it comes to adopting new music into my "portfolio". I listened to a short teaser of one of his new songs a few weeks ago. Kind of sounds like pop in a way, I might like some of his stuff. I'll definitely check him out soon.

I agree! My favorite time to listen to music is when I'm in bed at night trying to fall asleep. It's why I like bands like Coldplay and Radiohead, even the softer side of LP, and of course music artists like Lana. I'm all for laid back, soothing music, and I of course like to sometimes break the tradition and go for something heavy when I'm in the mood (THP happened to release right at a time when I was looking to break that tradition, so I think I ended up liking it even more than what I should have).

Hahaha, I think that's one of the reasons why I like that song. I like it when music artists don't confine themselves and do something out of the ordinary. It's a welcome change of pace for me, and I like Lana for keeping it real. On Paradise I liked her even more when she sang "My pussy tastes like Pepsi-Cola", she clearly doesn't give a damn and doesn't care what anyone thinks. She does her own thing and stays true to her work, it's part of why she's one of my favorite music artists of today. I can kind of see how it may disrupt the album, but part of that unexpectedness is what makes me like her even more. Besides, not everything has to be PG/Disney :kappa:

Anyways, I have to give her props for not selling out and confining to what everyone wants her to be. She did what she wanted on this album, and I respect that. This album is basically a big "F you" to those who wanted her to go all pop. This album brings none of that, instead we get a dark, gloomy album that gives no fucks and brings her best intentions. Despite what some say about her, I think she deserves all the success she gets. This album is not only well-crafted, but proves there's still true music artist left in the world that don't cater to others, but instead make what they intended. This album is bad-ass, and sorry Linkin Park, but it looks like Lana is going to over-take you next week and I think she deserves it :D

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Listening to the album right now, "Cruel World" is rather good.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Just a little pop :kappa:

Blake

I agree with this. Noth Lana and Sam Smith stayed to themselves which I appreciate. No need to change who you are because people tell you too. I applaud that aspect in both albums, especially this one, cause you can easily tell. Its a great album and I agree, she deserves the success.

As for Ed Sheeran, you should check out 'Kiss Me', 'Give Me Love', 'Drunk', and 'Lego House.'

lime treacle

The album didn't leave a huge impression on me on the first listen. Too monotone. Might change after a while, though.

Blake

That is one of the reasons I enjoyed it. I like the very chill atmosphere of it.

lime treacle

It just doesn't hold up to Born to Die and Paradise. But I've only heard it once. Might give it another listen this very day.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

This was my thought initially as well. I really need to sit down without distractions and listen to it again though.