"Late To The Party" Albums

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Sep 27, 2013.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I came up with this thread idea whilst using Pandora the other day. I've always been a big Keane fan but somehow I had never heard their second album, "Under The Iron Sea". Pandora suggested "A Bad Dream", and after hearing that I had to download the album. It's fantastic: not a single skippable song, in my opinion.

So have you ever stumbled upon an album from the past for the first time, only to realize what you've been missing out on all these years?

Other albums that come to mind:

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
    Radiohead - The Bends
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    Foo Fighters - The Colour and The Shape

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Funny you mention Keane, because I have also known couple of their songs but never gave a listen to any of their albums... and then one friend suggested that I listen to their third album Perfect Symmetry and it blew me away immediately.
    Also:

Editors - The Back Room
    Nelly Furtado - Loose
    Rammstein - Mutter

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

I only listened to it this year. And I've been meaning to since 2010. :lol: Incredible album.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

Train's Drops of Jupiter, released in 2001, was something I put off listening to for a while after I had started listening to Train and their latest studio album at the time, 2009's Save Me, San Francisco. Upon first listen, however, I instantly fell in love with it and today would put it high on my list of best albums of the 2000s.

Embrace's Out of Nothing, released in 2004, was also something I put off after discovering an artist. Although I had been listening to "Gravity", a single from the album, I never gave it a good listen because I was enjoying 2006's This New Day way too much to care about Embrace's other music. However, when i did listen to it, I also fell in love with the album instantly. "Someday" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Daft Punk's Discovery, released in 2001, is also something I regret not listening to before. I've been exposed to all four of the album's singles beforehand, and liked the songs, but I wasn't really a fan of Daft Punk before I gave Discovery a listen. After getting used to the album, it's definitely one of my favorite albums now. In my opinion, it's the best Daft Punk album.

Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, released 2010, was an album i never really wanted to listen to. I, at the time, hated Kanye West, and still to this day, The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation and especially 808s and Heartbreak, are albums I hope never to have to listen to again. My personal distaste for Kanye West's music held me from listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. But then I heard "All of the Lights" for the first time on MTV when it was initially released as a single. I remember being simply amazed, then I listened to "Power" out of curiosity, and I was loving every second of it! Kanye West changed his music so much that even I was loving it! Something I definitely regret was not getting in the loop when the album was being released. This album nowadays is an easy second on my list of best albums of the 2010s. Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns tops the list, if you're wondering. :p

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

You don't like anything else? And not even Graduation?

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

Shit! So many 1's

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Every Other Linkin Park album before A Thousand Suns
    Every Beatles Album
    Every Coldplay Album before Mylo Xyloto
    OneRepublic - Waking Up
    The Black Keys - El Camino (only released in my country earlier this year)

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Alice in Chains – Black Gives Way to Blue, for example.

I guess I could cite more, but I don't get the feeling you described getting, Mark. When I listen to an album that's a little older, I go like: "Oh yeah, I like this!" I don't really go "Fuck, I've been missing out on this for all these years!"

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

i think it was only this year that i listened to "Camp" by Childish Gambino. shit was dope. the album was released late 2011.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I was kind of late to the party with NIN in general.