Let's discuss Mike Shinoda's singing.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Jun 3, 2014.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Invisible felt like Mike singing kind of just for the sake of variety (and because he wrote it). It didn't feel like something Chester couldn't do, but HOLY does he own Sorry For Now. That's probably my favorite performance of his, it overtook Rebellion as the best use of Mike as a lead imo.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I feel like there's going to come a time in the not-too-distant future where Chester's voice pretty much gives out for good and Mike will suddenly be the best vocalist in Linkin Park. Things have been heading in that direction for a while IMO.

Nicholas likes this.
    Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Even if somewhere down the line I end up hating this album somehow, I will always be glad it led to Invisible and (especially) Sorry for Now being released to us. Jesus Christ just drop a solo album.

Jesse and Nicholas like this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I think Chester is a better vocalist by far, but there's just something about Mike's that is much more soothing that I prefer. If any of the members are a standout on this album, it's Mike and his singing, and its a shame we don't have more of it.

Jesse, Gibs, brady and 3 others like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Mike is so damn good at what he does. Hearing a solo singing album (maybe with one or two rap verses thrown in) as an opposite Fort Minor project is a dream.

Avo and Sasuke like this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I've always enjoyed Mike's contrasting vocals but I've never considered them better than Chester's. However the final moments of Sorry For Now felt as cathartic as "lift me up, let me go" in The Catalyst. That's pretty impressive to me.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Chester and Mike have such different voices that they complement each other really well, whether within the same song or simply within separate songs of the same album like OML.

I don't know much about technique, but you can still tell Chester is at least a more confident and capable singer. Chester's tone is also much more unique than Mike's, in my opinion. But, when used the right way, Mike's voice adds another depth to LP that's become important. At this point, I think we've heard just about everything Chester can do, and in so many styles. It's nice to continue the variety by letting Mike try some things out.

They're both fantastic, though. Especially together on the same track (bridge of IMR, especially).

annie and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I actually quite enjoy In Between. It has great lyrics IMO (rare for Linkin Park) and I think Mike nailed the delivery. It's probably the least Linkin Park-ish song off of Minutes To Midnight, so I think that's partially why it received so much hate when it was released. No Roads Left is also great, I love the way Mike sang that song, he did a good job. It's actually a pretty unique sounding song, and it's obviously a huge fan favorite at this point, for good reason.

As for Invisible and Sorry For Now, he sounds great on those as well. I don't like Invisible, but that's because I find the song to be quite boring, it has nothing to do with Mike's vocal performance. The song just simply doesn't capture me. It's not a bad song, just boring to me.

Sorry For Now on the other hand, is great. I didn't like Chester's rap, but I enjoyed the rest of the song, Mike sounds good singing it, and I understand why so many fans love it. It's the best song on the album.

As for his singing on other random songs, etc. over the course of their discography, he never has really sounded ''bad'' to me, ever. Chester is of course a better vocalist but Mike isn't bad by any means.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Of course I think that Chester is a better vocalist, but damn do I love it when I get to hear Mike sing. My favorites of his are No Roads Left (its a shame that song is only a bonus song for MTM) and Sorry For Now. He owns these songs.

Captain-EO likes this.
    HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Mike's voice is much more "velvety" than Chester's. That's the only way I can really describe it. I still prefer Chester overall (he's one of the few singers who can bring me to tears) but Mike is no chopped liver.

annie, Bane, brady and 1 other person like this.
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I just want to say I think that Mike's been KILLING IT with his live singing lately.

Invisible
    Waiting for the End
    Leave Out All The Rest
    Castle of Glass
    The Catalyst

They all sound great. It makes me want him to try Burning in the Skies again. I think he could do it justice now!

Bane, Sasuke and TobinKnowsBest like this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I was thinking about making a thread where we rank Shinoda's dining song by song but I'll just post my opinion here. Chester is the better singer but I love Mike's singing for the most part.

Mike Singing (From best to Worst):
    1. Sorry For Now
    2. Rebellion
    3. In Between
    4. A Line In the Sand
    5. In My Remains
    6. No Roads Left
    7. Invisible

The top 4 of this list are really close to each other. I think each of those 4 songs showcases why Mike's voice is good in all different ways.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

Mike singing:
    1 Sorry For Now (best piece of singing Mike has ever done)
    2 The Catalyst (just can´t get enough of te parts "God bless us eveyone" and "Lift me up let me go", some of the best ever lines from LP)
    3 Iridescent (another solid singing by Mike)
    4 Roads Untravelled (the way he sings and plays the piano on this one is top notch)
    5 A Line The Sand (cracking song opener to gear up for the more aggressive part)
    6 Castle Of Glass (one of the best song openers by LP)
    7 Invisible (one of the songs I liked best on the new record)
    8 Blackout (blends very well with Chester´s aggressive singing)
    9 Rebellion (not so solid singing, but still not disappointing)
    10 In My Remains (Mike should have sung more on this one)
    11 In Between (just don´t like the song, although Mike doesn´t sing badly)

I think Mike sings very well and on some of the songs as good or even better than Chester so he should sing more often.

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Mike sings Devil's Drop, It Goes Through and The Last Line, all off of MALL, all by himself.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

All of those I haven't looked into.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

If I was to rank based on his performance it would be Sorry for Now as an easy number 1, probably Invisible 2, NRL 3, and then everything else is pretty much the same. Except maybe COG as last, because in the acapella you can hear some pretty harsh autotune on him haha (please don't start an autotune argument)