"Linkin Park’s music is so overproduced... they’re basically repeating the same song"

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Joe, Jul 28, 2011.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

The number of people who know LP's old music but haven't heard the new album is probably really high.
    I strongly agree with this. Whenever you see criticism about LP these days people still want to bring up "Numb" or something to diss them. It's just silly.

The only way they'll ever get out of it is if they release an album that gets critically acclaimed and wins a grammy for best album of the year or something.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I wish

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I'd love to see that happen but unfortunately I'm not so sure. It's been about 4 years since MTM came out and I would say that's when they didn't deserve the "nu-metal" label, although, when you release songs like Given Up as a single, I guess it's hard to steer 100% clear of it. I think with ATS though, they reaaally don't deserve that label, yet uninformed media outlets and "fans" still give it to them. It's just become a general term to associate with them and unfortunately, it's so much easier to stick with it than for the media outlets to come up with a new way to acknowledge them.

Examples are abundant with music blogs, radio & tv mentions and news articles. It's always something like "Nu-Metal giants Linkin Park... bla bla" or "Those angst-fueled rockers, Linkin Park..." It's just easy to do that, rather than sit down, listen to their new shit and come up with something that's not outdated by about 5 years. It's sad because you can't blame the media, because they're just going by what they know, and what they know is Linkin Park from HT & Meteora days who were commercially in their prime, and arguably fitted that "Nu-Metal" label.

"Fans" do it too. The amount of times on Twitter, Facebook and other random shit I've seen people say something like "Linkin Park on MTV? Is it 2001 or something?", like as if they went away and are still pushing out the same shit they were then, when nothing is further from the truth. Long story short, I can't see them ever escaping this persona by the media, if ATS didn't do it, I don't know what will. I'm sure they'll continue to try though and I hope they do.

PaulGardinerLP

PaulGardinerLP Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean regarding TV, radio and news article mentions. When ever I read or hear it, it annoys the hell outta me! I do fear that you could be correct though about LP being labelled Nu-Metal for the remainder of their career. However, I still hope that over the coming years, when current/past media reporters and interviewers are replaced by new and younger ones bringing in fresh ideas and having a firm grasp on new music (including Non-Nu-Metal LP), that the Nu-Metal label will be a thing of the past.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I still don't know how anything can be overproduced. It just means they know how to get polished songs. It's not like you can polish it too much and it starts to sound worse. That's the whole point of using a really nice recording studio. To, you know, get a high quality recording and mix.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

THIS coming from the Vocalist of "Busted"? Don't make me laugh, :lol: he of all people should know what "overproduced means".

LP haven't been "repetitive" since the days of Meteora. Now we can all safely say those "angst" ridden songs are far behind them now. I think this dude need to listen to ATS and re-think his career.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

What I think we are failing to realize here is that the general population and mainstream media that they get their information from is stupid.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Even amongst the old sound: One Step Closer sounds like Pushing Me Away and like My December and Nobody's Listening and Breaking the Habit?

Besides, one persons overproduced is another person's attention to care and craftsmanship.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Great point. :D

Benjamin

Aside from maybe 7 or 8 songs from those 2 albums all of the music sounds pretty damn similar.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

It's actually great marketing. I would totally bash another artist(especially if i am a nobody from a band nobody knows about) so that those fans who agree with me will feel some sort of camaraderie about me and that feeling will lend itself into them buying my album that i am coincidentally releasing at the same time.:awesome:

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I wonder if Mr. Simpson has ever heard of the likes of Disturbed or Godsmack . . . :hmm:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Oh brother. Maybe he just has an opinion.

Benjamin

An opinion that is obviously based on the guy only listening to LP in their early years. Given those conditions it's hard to respect his opinion.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Not to me.
    Darn them opinions, huh.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

That has nothing to do with the "lol he's clearly just bitter and trying to promote his own music" style responses.

Benjamin

Yeah. But don't get me wrong, I still like maybe half of it. I just think that they can only do rap/chorus/rap/chorus/bridge/chorus so many times before it sounds the same.

----------------

Just for fun I searched Linkin Park on Twitter and this is what comes up (tweets separated by line):

#NP In The End - Linkin Park
    linkin park - what i've done ♫ = #Curto
    ♥ Numb/Encore by Jay-Z and Linkin Park #lastfm: http://bit.ly/12PEmM amazon: http://bit.ly/167M5b
    ♪ Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong ♪ ... esta es recontra buenaaaaaaaa!!!!!
    Ouvindo Linkin Park, curti mto essa banda... Shadow of the day
    ♪ Linkin Park - One Step Closer ♪!!! .. jeje escuchando la carpeta de music de mi hermano XD
    Echa un vistazo a este vídeo. -- Linkin Park - New Divide (Lyrics) - GetThemLyrics http://t.co/iX1PpRk vía @youtube
    Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong (8)
    From the Inside - Linkin Park
    My girlfriend left me because of my obsession with Linkin Park. In the end it doesn't even matter..
    Taking a tour through teenage angst with 'hybrid theory' - ahhhhh the linkin park days. #CDsfoundinmycar
    #NP Linkin Park - Numb
    Linkin Park - Faint
    #jukeboxplays Somewhere I Belong by Linkin Park.
    ♫ #Escutando Linkin Park - Numb no @sitevagalume http://t.co/yC9k276linkin-park/nu…
    Bleed it out. (linkin park)
    Don't Stay /Linkin Park ♫
    ♫ Your lips say that you love,Your eyes say that you hate ♫♫ Linkin Park - In Pieces
    ♫ #Escutando Linkin Park - Numb no @sitevagalume

You get the point. I saw a few Rolling in the Deep references and TWO A Thousand Suns references. Odd.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

who is this charlie guy??

GekiLPL

GekiLPL Guest

ATS sounds more like this guy is describing than MTM did. MTM was their most all-over, GOOD album.

I hate ATS

I agree with him, in a way. The last 4 singles to be released by LP all have the same exact style pretty much. The Catalyst, Waiting For The End, Burning In The Skies and Iridescent are all very sllllllooooowwwww songs. Like Reallllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow. Like music you would hear shopping in a department store slooowwww. Songs like Given Up, Bleed It Out, No More Sorrow, etc., actually had some ENERGY to them. When They Come For Me, Blackout, Wretches, etc all have lots of energy, but they don't ever play those songs for some odd reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

A few thoughts...

1. This guy is trying WAY too hard to burn bridges. He's clearly ashamed of the fact that he's only famous for being part of one of the most manufactured groups to come out of the UK since the fucking Spice Girls, so he's trying his hardest to lash out at anything he percieves as mainstream.
    2. Who the hell are Friendly Fires?
    3. Kings of Leon is one of the most insufferably terrible bands I've heard in the last 10 years.

The Catalyst, "slow?" Really? At 135 beats per minute, that song is one of the FASTEST in the Linkin Park catalog. It's faster than Given Up, faster than Blackout, faster than even A Place for My Head. The only faster songs I can think of off the top of my head are Bleed it Out (at 140 BPM) and Breaking the Habit (at 200 BPM). I know speed doesn't always translate into energy, but I think The Catalyst has a ton of both.