Linkin Park: A Changed Act?

Discussion in 'News' started by Omar, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Oh I wouldn't go there my friend. ;)

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

It's not a matter of not supporting them. It's a matter of opinion. Some people are getting sick of the whole, "Let's make an album bashing the government" idea. If they don't want to buy the album unless they hear it some other way and they find it incredible, that's how it is. That doesn't mean they're not supporting fans. We all have our opinions.

I'm not going to criticize Will and Zak and such for not wanting to get this album unless it's absolutely amazing. That's their opinion and that's their plan and they can do whatever they wish.

For me, I have a different opinion. I'm getting this album because it's going to be different and I have a strong feeling that it's going to be awesome. I'm glad Linkin Park is taking a route like this. I liked the What I've Done video immensely. It was powerful and it sent a strong message. If the album does the same thing, good.

I don't want Linkin Park to make another album like Meteora or Hybrid Theory, which, to sum it all up, was about a teenager growing up and whining about his or her life. That's all it was. I want something different. Sure, other bands have completely taken the political thing to mind and have basically flooded the musical world with it. But I don't think Linkin Park is going to be as "Bush-bashing" as Green Day and System of a Down were. They'll be better about it.

You guys do whatever you want, but at least have some optimism.

lpxqwerty33

lpxqwerty33 Well-Known Member

its good that someone with a powerful voice takes a stand

Radox Redux

Radox Redux Member

I've been thinking along these lines since I heard they were 'changing their image', I had instant flashbacks to back after the release of HT when I defended them against any who accused them of being a 'sell-out' band. I just hope they don't go down that route. But I remind myself that the band is usually quite down-to-earth. We all know that bands naturally change with time, and they are the ones that are remembered twenty years down the line. I think LP can pull it off. I'll keep the faith... at least until I hear the album. I hope this won't be another 'Liberation Transmission'.

corsabubble

corsabubble Member

makes me chuckle that people say because its political etc that it wont be good...............listen to the lyrics of "what I've done"....not singing about him personally, its about what the world has done to itself. there are hidden messages in every song.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I'm just not buying it, because I don't have money to buy cd's that I already have on my iPod. I will own it if someone gets it for me as a gift, which I'm almost confident will happen, but I have so many other things I have to spend my money on.

I love Linkin Park, and I have spent a ton of money on their merchandise over the years, but right now I'm really poor.

Casper15

Casper15 Member

Why is everyone so glad that they "mature" ?
    I reall think the statement itself is really weird actually.
    If they're making music about politics, wear black jackets, and put dance beats into their songs ( as this news message was stating), why are they mature then ?

I'd rather have them make music about "things that happened to them 15 years ago in high-school". That music is really good and is "mature" enough for me. " Mature" is just a way you think anyway.

And does maturing means that Mike has to be bold and grow a moustache :ermm:

I like Chester and Brad's look, but Mike really tries to hard to be a though guy now :p I'm really disliking his look

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I've never thought of it as him trying to look like a tough guy.

Nihilanth

Nihilanth Active Member

It may sound strange but you can put a lot of thing under "pop" label. Take out agressive guitar riffs and people may start calling it pop. Make a lighter song and they'll call it pop. I doubt they made any cliche-pop(-rock) songs there, it's just that sometimes for some guys lighter song equals poppy song. You never know. But remember that In Pieces starts out with a reggae vibe? Some people may just not know what that means and simply say: it's more of a pop song.

Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

Yes, just because a couple of songs are about politics, it's going to be an album not worth purchasing.

In Pieces is a Chester song about his divorce and remarriage. In Between is Mike's song. I would list others as they sound non-political, but I'm too tired to be honest.

The only ones mentioned as political are TLTGYA and Hands Held High. What I've Done can be classed as half political, but its LP saying goodbye to what they experienced over the years and to their nu-metal genre.

Why are people so judgemental even before the album is out? I mean put it like this - it could be worse. They could have called it "American Idiot - The LP Version!"

I love the approach they're going in.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
    dancingjesus

dancingjesus Member

Eh I don't think its about him trying to be tough if anything its more about this is who I am now and the representation of where they are as a band. He's no longer going for the nu-metal look with the spikey hair. I think this album is also alot about finding "themselves" and who they really are as cheesy as it sounds.

Mel

Mel Well-Known Member

That or he forgot to shave before they shot the video :lol: . I Hope the whole "They look like a different band, but with the same members" is a good thing. I just hope they don't forget their roots, I have a good feeling this album will be good no matter what critics say.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I guess I should have included the quote where Chester says that the album DOES NOT take a particular stance on political issues--it only seeks to make them known, and then allow the listener to connect, and decide whatever they wish.

Re: Mike's line in 'Hands Held High,' whether or not your agree, that is the fact of the matter. He's not telling you how to feel, and I don't think the album will consist of "government bashing."

ProEdge

ProEdge Well-Known Member

I agree with the article. This is a new side to LP we've never seen before. After watching the video, I was suprised to see the new references they make in it. And now this. Still, I think it's great to see the band open up more and have their say.

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

Politics and stuff doesn't really relate to me in any way cause in the nicest way possible, I don't care as much. It's out of everyones hands about what the government do and music isn't gonna change that. I can understand they are trying to send out a message but all they are doing really is reminding us of the tragic things that have happened.

The mature thing is getting annoying now, they were not kids when they wrote Hybrid Theory. What made Hybrid Theory so great was because of the lyrics. For example "shut up when i'm talking to you" is just so great to listen to if you are irritated by something. Or "the clock ticks life away it's so unreal" you can make your own decision on how that relates to you. Unfortunatly this album may not be like that.

Because LP have been to the disaster places, they realise how bad it is therefore put it in their music and that way it relates to them more than me or even their fans. I am just hoping this album will not be everything about politics, but so far it is.

Arhaz

Arhaz ...waiting. LPA Super Member

though the video of what i've done looks political, when i first heard the song...it sounded nothing political at all. i feel the lyrics are just linkin park. it's the looks, sights and videos that are highlighting the transformation into a big deal.

general41391

general41391 Well-Known Member

I'm super excited!!! I can't wait any longer.

lpxqwerty33

lpxqwerty33 Well-Known Member

they do have some political songs but i bet they have majority non political

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

its only a couple political songs so its nothing tor eally be worried about...and i'm kinda likin' their new look

My Violent Heart

My Violent Heart Transmissions echoing away.

I don't understand why some of you just cant do something as simple as buying a CD and enjoying it's music without caring about the looks/political feel and all.
    And Linkin Park never said their entire work is going to be political. TLTGYA and Hands Held High are the only ones that have lyrics that are similar to politics. Listen to What I've Done without the video too. It sounds like them.

So what if some songs are political anyways? I mean, doesn't NIN do that quite a bit? Even before Year Zero, Reznor has put in political aspects into songs such as The Hand That Feeds or Right Where It Belongs. I know this is not a NIN thread, but they are still retaining a dark image, while holding a political side, and they succeed at that. I'm sure Linkin Park will do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.