Linkin Park - A Day In The Life

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

NoiseCreep followed Mike & Chester around during a day of press and spoke to them about A Thousand Suns and what it is like for them to do interviews and such. Check out some excerpts, watch a short video and read the full article below.

[​IMG]

"The connection that I think is really funny is the connection between the idea of the human race blowing itself up," he said. "We didn't intend for 'Minutes to Midnight' and 'A Thousand Suns' to reference that same thing, with 'Minutes to Midnight' being the moments before and 'A Thousand Suns' being the moments after. I think that's the one that snuck up on us and once we realized it, we figured that, 'OK, subconsciously it's always been there.' And it's not just us, it's a lot of people."

"'The Catalyst' didn't change a lot," Shinoda said. "The first demo was a little heavier as far as guitars, and we didn't like it. We liked the song, but as soon as we took those out and added that echoey organ keyboard sound, then it was like, 'What's this?' There's always at least one moment for each of the songs where it goes from, 'OK, that's cool' to that moment where everyone's really sucked into it."

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Awesome article

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Nice to read more about Brad's role in the studio. Good article!

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

That was good. But for some reason I pictured Brad being the Joe of ATS. Not as much as he used too, like Joe with MTM.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I pictured Phoenix to be like that, but the WTCFM LPTV Brad looks pretty into the beat.

Minus

Remember, he got so into it he forgot Mike was supposed to be recording vocals (from the DVD) :lol:

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

That was funny. Mike having to call him on his cell to remind him.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think MTM and ATS work well as companion pieces. MTM explores the mindset of a human who's watching the world fall apart, whereas ATS is the aftermath of the devastation and the rebuilding of mankind from the ashes.

Minus

If it were me I'd get completely lost in the music like that as well.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

It's things like that I love. It shows he contributes. Remember when he was overly into it and was like "YEAH! I LIKE THAT! Maybe it should start like that!" Guess what, the song stars with just a hi-hat like Brad said. When he "forgets" to record Mike's chorus ideas? Guess what, no real chorus in the song. It shows that Brad does way more for Linkin Park than play guitar chords.

Minus

I'm sure that's NOT how that chorus came about. Just a funny little coincidence.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Great read.

LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Epic Read... 'Shinoda laughed, then deflected the question.' Um...Mike, are you trying to cover up your ass or what?

LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Yep, that about sums it up. :)

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Is easy to see this is a great site by far...
    in another place i'd expect to read something like OMG DIT-THEY-CHEING-GUITARZ-INTO-THE-CATATRYST!!!WANNA-HEAAAR-THOZ-HEAVY-VERSIONZ-AND-HEAVY-BRADPOLE.
    But yeah, good this place is clean lol. Great read.

EDIT: any news from Wretches and Kings remix?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I'm not usually big into reading articles because they're usually just the same ole' same ole' but I'm REALLY glad I decided to check this one out. That was a good (and entertaining) read.
    I was really glad they asked about Brad. And the interviewer actually had good questions, not the general cookie-cutter crap.

Excellent.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Awesome questions.

But Hasn't Brad been LP's main song writer since the HT days too? I remember an artical where the band talking about writing the songs and how most of the ideas came from Mike & Brad (e.g. brad writting a riff for POA and mike coming in rearaging the parts, so Brad had to learn a complelty new riff)

But anyway, its great to hear that Brad's been doing alot more than we think on ATS.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That's true, but it was a bit more obvious when there were guitar riffs all in your face on those songs too -- with the lack of obvious guitar parts on this new album, it's a bit harder for the casual listen to assume Brad plays a big part on the album. ;)

Watching the making-of DVD, I too noticed that Brad played a big part in coming up with different arrangements for the songs. :) Since the new songs are full of these ideas (particularly in terms of song structure) that Linkin Park aren't really used to incorporating, that job is more important - and, therefore, more difficult - than ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.