Linkin Park Interview in Upset Magazine

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 14, 2017.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If I was drunk, I'd agree with me too. It's perfectly fine.

Sa6o_dfg likes this.
    fio1310

fio1310 Well-Known Member

So does anyone reckon we will hear another track before the release? We still have the live version of invisible to watch, or do you think that will wait til may?

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

@Derek

While i agree with you completly, it didnt change the fact, that most of the "haters" are in the believe, Linkin Park does it for the money. Thats atleast my biggest problem with such people.

Derek

Yeah, but the 'sellout' or 'all Linkin Park cares about is money!!1!11" comments have existed far before this album. They've been existing for a decade, if not longer. It's nothing new, and those people aren't going to go away.

beachdude42 and Sasuke like this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I said this before and I'll say it again: this "it's personal to them" argument is a total copout. You can't just write some subpar lyrics and shield yourself from criticism by stating "oh it's personal to me...". You CAN judge good writing by its use of literary devices like metaphors/simile, vocabulary, creative imagery etc etc. and I'm sorry to say but these songs severely lack in that department. The lyrics could be personal to them but if they don't reach me as a listener then the whole thing kind of fails. I've seen better writing from LP and this isn't it.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

That's fine you don't see it that way, but just accept the fact that the subject they wrote about isn't for you, the listener. I knew if I was writing songs about how much I missed my kids, it would be a pretty straight-forward subject without much complexity and zero thought or fucks given about who was listening to it and what they thought about it.

As always, with any song, the artist usually has their own subject, and even if it's clear, the listener could always find something about it to relate to.

beachdude42, brady, Sasuke and 3 others like this.
    Agent

Fair enough. But in the same breath, if you put music out for public consumption, regardless of how personal or impersonal the content is, you open yourself up to criticism. Can't have it both ways.

Also, going off of the lyrics in the three songs released so far, I sense very little of honest portrayal of deep seated personal turmoil and more of a radio-friendly/easily digestible vibe. But that's just me.

Hasnain

Hasnain Member

I logged in just to like this comment. Derek,you spoke my mind.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Too far. I really wouldn't assume the band's honesty with their lyrics. We're not there to experience their thoughts and memories at the time the lyrics are being written. It's not fair to assume the band is being dishonest when they share things that are deeply personal to them - frankly, it's not fair to do that to anyone, period. As simple as the lyrics are, it doesn't make them deceptive and it doesn't mean they're simple for the sake of radio play.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I think the reason LP is so popular with non English speakers is because of their simple, generic and easy lyrics.

beachdude42, blackout. and Henry like this.
    Agent

For me whatever bit of genuineness there was got lost in the mix of overproduced, radio-friendly cookie cutter production and bland display of lyricism. You might have a different view and that's okay.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I agree that the lyrics of those songs aren't particularly special. I was just listening to Every Breaking Wave by U2 and the song is just downright beautiful, lyrically and musically.

LP has had some songs with really thoughtful lyrics in the past (e.g. The Messenger, Valentine's Day) that Heavy and Battle Symphony are lacking. I believe One More Light (song) will be a beautiful one though, based on the snippet we got.

PS: And hey, at least we're not getting "hey baby girl I wanna make love to you tonight" pop, thank goodness for that. :p

Agent and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I dunno about all that now...

joshtrum

joshtrum Active Member

I think the problem this time was Linkin Park bashing Rock back in 2013-2014. Saying it was commercialized/disneyfied. Then to be a rock band and follow the current(read: pop) trends, has baffled/confused/angered the fan base. Then for them to say they don't care about the fan base at times(there paycheck and the reason they're successful at an extent) it creates a contemptuous environment. Again, I am just stating facts(although I admit I may be off a touch) I have heard snippets of three songs, and have heard the three released. I don't hate OML, I don't hate any album they've released and although HT and Meteora hold a special place for me, MTM and ATS are my two favorite because when I heard MTM the first time, and it was so wildly different on each song from one to the next, I was blown away by the sound. Where am I going with this? They will do stuff in the future return to form. Chester's scream is not gone. They release at the current time what they are grooving/vibing in/on and if you're over the age of 12 and are pooping your pants about this album, because the lyrics aren't written by God himself and it's just stripped down LP, then I'll be the first to by you your calm down juice/chill chili and point you in the direction of the sound you're currently craving to get you through to the inevitable next album cycle.

Serenity likes this.
    TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

2 things

1 - I have a strong feeling that the track One More Light is going to be my favourite LP song ever (I hope I'm not just setting myself up for disappointment)

2 - why do some people on this forum feel like Linkin Park personally owes them something? it's baffling

beachdude42, Avo, Henry and 3 others like this.
    Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

Well, what about thinking of it from another direction?
    I think everyone here agrees that every musical genre or subgenre has its own magic and its own vibe. Yes, they all have have ups and downs, or the bands or artists that represent the genre (or subgenre) greatly or poorly. But literally every genre and musical direction has something making it special. This magic is unique for every genre, whether it is rock, pop, hip-hop, EDM etc.

I understand that many fans are disappointed with what they've heard so far. And I can understand why.

But I'm personally glad that they're exploring the genres they are working with instead of crafting songs based on simple ideas about how it should sound like. They're trying to feel that magic, even if it's so unusual for them.

You may not like the songs and that's okay, but also you cannot disagree that everything that's coming from them is very well-crafted and keeps the magic alive.

Very weird post entry here, but I tried.

[GRAMMAR EDITED]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    beachdude42, Abel, Petar and 4 others like this.
    Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Your post isn't weird at all, in fact I'm glad that you typed this out. I wish discussions or opinions like this can be more frequent in this album cycle. While I'm in the group that has been (overly for some) harsh on the current released songs, I utmost agree with what you have said respectably. Cheers!

Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

I just wish someday LP decides to make music for the fans, not for themselves.

Just one album done thinking about us, about what we are expecting.

Derek

Hey if doing a left turn every album (even ones where fans feel they've 'sold out') keeps them engaged, excited and making music then I'm all for it. When I see all these bands breaking up after only 2-3 albums and then consider the fact that Linkin Park has been together for over 15 years with the same lineup, it shows that the band's changes were the right choice. I guarantee had they just made Hybrid Theory clones their entire career they would've felt burned out after the 3rd or 4th album, and never made it to 7 albums. The change with Minutes To Midnight saved the band in my honest opinion.

I'm sorry but that's incredibly selfish, even if you don't intend it that way. They should do what makes THEM happy.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I think the last time they did that was Living Things, which was sort of (in my opinion) a compromise between the personal album OML was gonna be and fanservice. I remember the break between ATS and LT where the band had a survey on what the fans wanted from the band. I felt that LT was the result of that. THP and OML were a return to their approach of them wanting to make stuff they wanted.

beachdude42, Abel, Avo and 2 others like this.