Linkin Park is not a very good band. It took me 10+ years to finally realize this.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, May 19, 2017.

nomorelight

nomorelight New Member

I'm not sure if I agree yet, but I think I understand what you mean. Basically, good for LP for at least trying to branch out from nu-metal and trying to evolve as a band, but the fact of the matter is they haven't been successful at doing so. They simply aren't good at anything but what originally made them famous. Again, not sure yet whether I agree or not, because I love ATS - it's one of my favorite albums of all time, to say nothing of my favorite LP album - but I must admit to reacting to just about everything since M2M with a resounding "meh."

Edit: And this is not a matter of preferring the heavier LP sound over their other dabblings. To wit, THP is one of those albums that was passable at best.

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I don't even like the music that the band has put out since Minutes To Midnight and even I think that's wrong. Linkin Park HAS been successful in branching out away from nu-metal. Minutes To Midnight was ultra successful and a great album. A Thousand Suns was also very successful and a great album. Living Things maybe wasn't as good, but it was still decent enough, and had a pretty big single in Burn It Down. The Hunting Party did alright and the touring for the album was successful, Mike said it was the most successful touring the band had ever done for any album so far in their career. And then you have One More Light, which had a pretty big single in Heavy, and is doing good as of now (I think).

The comment of ''they simply aren't good at anything but what originally made them famous'' is ridiculous. The band doesn't owe you anything, if you don't like the music, that's fine, you can listen to the millions of other bands and artists in the world like I have. I actually just started becoming active in the LP community on this site this year because I missed that.

Hybrid Theory and Meteora are at times cringe worthy to listen to, but I still love them, simply for nostalgia and getting me into music for the most part in my early years. However, unlike some people, I've moved on from my 13 year old self and have discovered many bands and artists that I enjoy that sound nothing like Linkin Park. I think anyone who is still stuck in the whole ''nu-metal is the best kind of music and I will only like that'' mentality should try branching out a bit, like the band and many fans have done. I mean c'mon, there is tons of great music out there in a large variety of genres!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Sasuke and Iopia like this.
    nomorelight

nomorelight New Member

If that was the takeaway you got from my post, refer to my edit. I certainly like(d?) more about LP than their nu-metal sound, which was notably missing from my favorite album, A Thousand Suns.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Breaking news: Band sells fewer albums in 2017 than in 2000! Electronic pop album not popular on rock forums! Critics give lukewarm reviews to band that they never liked in the first place! And god forbid we mention the infamous general feedback. What has the world come to!?

Brandon, Crankshaft, Nicholas and 2 others like this.
    Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory and Meteora really don't have that much ''variety'' on them, IMO, they are pretty much textbook nu-metal albums. I personally think they did do nu-metal better than most bands, but that doesn't negate the fact that they are still nu-metal albums ultimately at the end of the day, at least to me. Sure, you had SOME variety on Meteora, with songs like Nobody's Listening, Session, Easier To Run, Numb and Breaking The Habit. But Meteora still would fit with nu-metal. And it's ok if you like nu-metal, I like both Hybrid Theory and Meteora a lot, but I would never say they aren't ultimately nu-metal.

With Minutes To Midnight, they had a lot of variety, I even heard Mike call the album a ''patchwork'' album the other day in an interview, saying they purposely wanted each song to sound drastically different from the last. They also experimented with song structure a bit, etc. Sure, you still had a trace of the heavier sound with tracks like Given Up, Bleed It Out and No More Sorrow, but those were much different than the nu-metal songs of the past for them. After Minutes To Midnight they just started experimenting with tons of different styles and genres, etc. and went even further.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Halfway Dwight likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

They've been successful at evolving as a band in that ... they've evolved as a band. :huh: Commercial and critical success is always outside of their control so it makes sense for them to not factor that into the creative process. LP make music that they're happy with, first and foremost, well before anyone else hears it and judges it.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

The fact that you're not ashamed about the One Step Closer video says everything that needs to be said.

Here I thought this was an obvious thread about how Linkin Park isn't a good band on a technical level... At this rate it'll take you another 10+ years to figure that out.

IronDust71, brady and Avo like this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

:wat:

Linkin Park is one of, if not the most successful band to come out of the nu-metal era. Most other bands faded into irrelevancy.

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

It's 2017 man.
    To quote Chester who directed this line to people exactly like you, "Move the fuck on already" from those albums.

Rhel

Rhel Member

Hell, even speaking as someone who unironically enjoys most stuff from Meteora (Yes, even the "Heal... Feel" Somewhere I belong ^^) it's blatantly obvious in hindsight that it was easily their least ambitious record to date. I still like it, a lot even, but that has more to do with the emotional impact of the songs, the memories and nostalgia and generally the way the album makes me feel than with it being somehow a masterpiece of instrumental virtuosity or brilliant songwriting.

As an expression of emotions that a lot of people never really stop feeling even after they "grow up" (Outrage at people pushing them around, fear of not being taken seriously, of being manipulated and lied to) it's still perfectly valid and, in my opinion, works as well today as it did back then. But I'd hardly consider it part of a "golden age." Not when they did nearly the same better on HT and have an Album like ATS.

Edit: That said, I might be a bit unfair to Meteora here. There was some evolution, Breaking the Habit being a thing and all.

os neutral and IronDust71 like this.
    IAmTheNight

IAmTheNight Active Member

Bye. Leave. I'm pretty sure nobody will miss you, though. If you can't move the fuck on from a 20 year old album, then you should probably get out.