Linkin Park - One More Light | Release Day Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 18, 2017.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I love this album, it's so good. the production is KILLER! and Chester & Mike sound great. I can't stop listening :lol:

1- Sharp Edges 10/10
    2- Sorry for Now 10/10
    3- One More Light 10/10 (from 8 to 10 after watching the live performance :cry:)
    4- Invisible 9.5/10
    5- Halfway Right 9/10
    6- Nobody Can Save Me 9/10
    7- Talking to Myself 8/10
    8- Battle Symphony 7.5/10
    9- Heavy 6/10
    10- Good Goodbye 6/10

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    IronDust71 and Deliveranze like this.
    Caique Soares

Caique Soares Member

GG is a single?

Mufasa

Mufasa Member

@Jsigcha1 I had that issue but i received an email this morning saying that I had a package for delivery for May 19th around 2:45 PM. I checked the Warner Bros. store and it said my item was still processing. Well, after like 8 hours or so, I revived an email saying my Deluxe Boxset package has been shipped and will arrive tomorrow May 19th. So i guess, just wait it out?

OP: I am still going strong, haven't heard the full album yet so im gonna wait either till my package arrives or midnight tonight on spotify. I have really high hopes for this records seeing as I loved all the official singles so far. I caved in an listened to OML and TTM on the live version and thats about it. Im really eager to hear the record.

kickgift

kickgift Member

Listened to the leak first but now on spotify in high quality

I like the album, not sure where to put it yet but I think it's better than THP
    ~ 1 week later
    SFN 9/10 9/10
    Invisible 8.5/10 9/10
    TTM 8.5/10 9/10
    NCSM 8/10 8.5/10
    OML 8/10 8/10
    HR 8/10 8.5/10
    Sharp Edges 7.5/10 8.5/10
    Good Goodbye 7/10 8/10
    Heavy 6/10 8/10 (because of live version)
    Battle Symphony 5/10 6.5/10 (live version redeems it a little bit)

Battle Symphony has not grown good on me. I find the chorus very annoying and repetitive. Heavy sounds really nice live, don't really like the studio version.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

To those of you who have not listened to the album yet, I want to warn you of something:

You are not prepared for how amazing Sorry For Now is.

IronDust71, Abel, bogdan971 and 6 others like this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I'm writing a review right now which I may post in the coming days, but for now all I want to say is thank you Linkin Park. I doubt any of these songs will crack my top ten, but I feel like an absolute fool for ever doubting this record.

Abel, Blake and Kevin like this.
    Voitage

Voitage Part-time villain

Man, I see nobody can save me is getting a lot of love but it hasn't grown in me yet. Sharp Edges is GOLD and sorry for now is an amazing pop song but I cringed a little with the effect on Chester voice but it kinda reminded me of waiting for the end where mike is reggae rapping

Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Seems like the main consensus is that SFN is the top highlight for this album! And I'm glad. :)

Blake likes this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Minus you're killing me, I still got an hour and ten minutes to wait :cry:

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Right here with ya man. I'm holding on until the official release, something I've never done before with an LP album.

"HOLDING OOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN" :footlong:

Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

A repost from the leak thread but whatever, just in the spirit of sharing my thoughts again. :p

REPOST
    After some repeated listens and quiet considerations, here's my ranking and verdict on the album for me.

Song rank(best/most fav to worst/most dislike):
    1. Sharp Edges(interchangeable between 1-4)
    2. Sorry For Now(interchangeable between 1-4)
    3. Nobody Can Save Me(interchangeable between 1-4)
    4. Halfway Right(interchangeable between 1-4)
    5. One More Light
    6. Invisible
    7. Talking to Myself
    8. Battle Symphony
    9. Good Goodbye
    10. Heavy

Album ranking(best/most fav to worst/most dislike):
    1. ATS
    2. M
    3. OML
    4. MTM
    5. THP
    6. HT
    7. LT

Overall, not a bad album! While there are certain nuances that wasn't to my liking and a few songs lacked a certain punch/depth, there are enough redeeming qualities from others that counter-balance those flaws. I love 1-4 equally, hence it's difficult to pin down which one I love more since I'm discovering new things after each listen in those songs. As plenty of people have pointed as well, there's a weird mix of contradictions between the music and lyrics which somehow works, making it accessible in listening to whatever mood you are in, whether positive or negative emotions.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

How much have you heard so far? I've only listened to Heavy and Battle Symphony.

Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

Nobody Can Save Me is strangely positive.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I've listened to Heavy, Battle Symphony, Good Goodbye, Invisible, and the live performances of Talking to Myself and One More Light. I wasn't necessarily planning on holding off on the leak the whole time, but I had been toying with the idea. But after listening to OML I really regretted not saving it (I fucking KNEW I would but I caved in) and have since made it a mission to hold off on listening to another new song until at least a full album leak. But since the album leaked just 2 days before release I told myself "You can do it" lol.

SuperSaiyan4Kev

SuperSaiyan4Kev Well-Known Member

I'll admit....I had a chance to listen to the leak on YouTube yesterday, but now that I've got a mastered version from iTunes that just released in Tennessee (central time zone) about 15 minutes ago...the album sounds amazing. It'll take me a few listens to really give my opinion on the album, but it's definitely a different sound.

"Talking to Myself" is awesome! Kinda reminds me of hearing "Faint" for the first time when Linkin Park was live in Nottingham in 2003. The song sets itself apart from the rest of the album and I'm glad they kept it in there.

To me, though, it seems like there's hardly any guitar from Delson on the album, but hey..that's just me.

_Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

I'm not really one for making big album reviews or opinions, but in light of all the flak @Derek has gotten for his review, and the extremely divisive nature of the album itself, I want to at least be heard.

I wasn't a huge fan of Heavy. I liked it as a song, but it just tick that "Linkin Park music" box for me, for whatever reasons. Battle Symphony, on the other hand, I enjoyed a whole lot more. Good Goodbye I actually got really excited for, because it sounded the most like the Linkin Park formula that I've gotten used to over the years. And Invisible I liked too, about as much as GG. Overall though, I was lukewarm on the album before the leak yesterday. I didn't know what to expect, or whether I'd like it. I would've been happy to hear it, think "this is nice", and then pick out a few tracks to add to various playlists.

But the album not only shattered my expectations, it actually reversed what I thought about the pre-release singles, as crazy as that may seem.

The opener, as Minus, myself and others repeated frequently last night, grows on you. The whole album does, frankly, but after Lost in the Echo and Keys to the Kingdom, I wasn't expecting the more... mellow opener. I had kind of shrugged it off on first listen, but it's one of my favorites now (granted, still early), and really sets the tone for the album as an upbeat, yet still deep, experiment into pop for Linkin Park.

Then we get to Good Goodbye, which has quickly become my least favorite track on the album. The problem is that it's both "too Linkin Park for this album", as I said in the shoutbox last night, but also the one that really misses the mark on tone for me. Chester's tone is too... serious, almost, for what is intended to be the kind of song you play when a basketball player fouls out. I just don't see it.

Talking to Myself through Heavy are all solid tracks, which I prefer more in the context of the album as a whole than as individual songs, but my takeaway by the time I get to Heavy is that I'm already surprised at the range the album has gone through, how upbeat it manages to be throughout, and how it all flows so well together without a single song transition - at least, that I've noticed.

But enough about that, can we talk about how Sorry for Now, Halfway Right, One More Light, and Sharp Edges are the best four songs on the album and an absolute monster combo to finish the album? SfN comes out of nowhere sounding like an Owl City song played on empty stage with Soulful Mike at the mic. Halfway Right has some fantastic tone shifts that really catch me every time I listen to it, and lowkey steals the album for me, with some real cutting lyrics and vocals from Chester. One More Light has grown on me a lot too, and the lyrics are incredibly powerful knowing the context of the track's inspiration. And Sharp Edges is an instant contender of "best closer on a Linkin Park album" for me, and I'm glad it was given the spot instead of OML - the listener needs to rise from that emotional nadir just a little before NCSM pops on again.

Tentatively, I'd say that this album is going to have really good staying power. I might skip through Good Goodbye on future listens, but the other 9 tracks create a fantastic album that deserves a second chance. Or a third.

Abel, Nicholas and tripleh3lix like this.
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Before I start this off, let me just say that I know most of my posts here have shown my support and excitement for the album, the new direction, as well as hoping that most members feel welcome despite differing opinions. A pop album is something I've always wanted from the band, and I'm glad they've done one after so many years of building up to this. What I don't usually disclose here is that I'm not keeping my standards/hopes high, and I'm simply *cautiously optimistic* about the album, especially after the LT era. I'm just saying this just in case people are surprised about my opinion on the record.

And so my final verdict after listening to the whole album is: it's an okay album. Like a solid 6-7/10.

I'm happy they're doing happy music. I love musical 180s, and this was definitely a thumbs up for me. I love how musically diverse this is, especially how they tackle different genres of pop in one record. I love that Mike and Joe are finally exploring great samples in "Battle Symphony" and "Sorry for Now". I love how the band still shines in "Nobody Can Save Me" and "Talking to Myself". I'm ecstatic that "Heavy" and "Sharp Edges" have catchy af hooks. And their lyrics are the best I've heard from them in years.

And yet, something feels a little lacking to me. I remember posting before about how frustrated I was in the band for not reaching their full potential and not making a great album per se, and that came back to haunt me here. I understand people like several admins here who felt the music here was too Top 40 instead of exploring great, crazy pop, and it kinda feels like despite all the personal elements, it seems too safe for me. I dig "Good Goodbye" but it still seems like an awkward hip hop record to me, and it's the only song I didn't really get into. That's why imo it's not a record for people who don't listen to a lot of pop (especially pop on the radio), as well as if you're not following the band constantly, which is why reviewers and critics don't fully understand the honesty in the record.

But what keeps me from disliking this album is how much fun they're having here. Sure it's Top 40 stuff, but as I've said, it feels like this is the album they've been wanting to make for years. Mike's singing is phenomenal, and all his songs are standouts - "Invisible" MUST be a single sometime in the future, and "Sorry for Now" is a great record, from the lyrics about being away from loved ones, to the breakdown that sounds a lot like the newest FOB record but with less guitars, and to the great Chester bit. "One More Light" and "Halfway Right" are such great stories from Chester. And I've come to appreciate "Heavy" a lot now. I may have my reservations, and the music isn't great, but it's hard to be disappointed if they've never sounded more optimistic, more sincere, more liberated than ever.

In terms of album rankings: ATS > HT > THP > M2M > OML > LT > Meteora
    Best songs: Battle Symphony, Invisible, Sorry for Now, One More Light

PS I want LP8 to be another pop record, but a lot crazier :lol:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    bogdan971, Nicholas and Jayhov like this.
    Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

This review resonates with me the most. Thank you for the write up.

_Depression likes this.
    JSigcha10

JSigcha10 Well-Known Member

Time to listen to a quality stream of the album on my headphones.

SuperSaiyan4Kev likes this.
    Evan_5397

Evan_5397 Well-Known Member

This album left me with a smile of content. I really like this album. Proud of the guys