Linkin Park - One More Light | Release Day Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 18, 2017.

1. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Like everybody else, the more I listen to this album the more I like it.

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm only replying to this comment because I noticed your avatar. I'd give you a Penny for your thoughts, but I only have four quarters. I also feel like Yang would appreciate your hesitance about the arm-or being fused back together. :lol:

3. Christos

Christos Active Member

Just wanted to say how fucking brilliant Sharp Edges is. Works perfectly as a album closer to me. And really digging Halfway Right.

In fact I can't really fault any song on this album, and generally (with the exception of the perfection that is ATS) there have always been one or two songs on every album that's I've always been 'meh' about. I thought I'd been skipping Heavy with each album listen as I've played it death, but it works so well when in the contact of the album that it's become fresh to me again.

Ranking OML right now I'm finding too hard. The newness of it always adds a bias as I experienced with THP.. When it came out I thought it was great, but the replay value isn't there and looking back it would be bottom of the pile.

Another feather in the cap for LP adding to a greatly diverse discography.

Flozuki, Cely_lp and Jason like this.
  4. AThousandLivingThings

AThousandLivingThings Well-Known Member

My dad commited suicide about one month ago. After the first days this deep, deep sadness took over me. It was not the kind of sadness you cry about. I couldn't cry, I was too weak for that. For the last month this went on, I started going to university again, started meeting friends and sometimes even had a great evening. But inside there was still this deep sadness.
    Last night I listened to the song One More Light for the first time and I knew it would get emotional, but oh boy. I cried. Finally. I listened to it again and cried again. I listened again and cried even more. And it went on like that for almost an hour. This may sound really negative now, but to me it was the best thing I could do. Just let it all out. And I felt so much better after it. Linkin Park has - once again - been there for me. Thank you, LP

TobinKnowsBest, Abel, Fathom and 19 others like this.
  5. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

My wife, with fresh ears to the album this morning in regards to NCSM:
    "This sounds like Christian Alternative Rock."

I laughed at first but the more I listen - change a few of the lyrics and it could definitely be heard on a Sunday morning. Lol

6. Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

no lies, truth and promises in this album....

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine too (albeit not to suicide) and I can understand your pain. OML had that same effect on me, and it's a very therapeutic song. I hope you're doing okay.

8. joshtrum

joshtrum Active Member

I'm not going to repost my impressions, but this album is a B+ for me. I think people had such a backlash to the "honest" lyrics because of the three early releases we got two had features on them, one of which a song about basketball, so it was hard to understand the band mentally. I won't claim to be an expert, but a lot of the lyrics on this album are good and I feel the ones who say they aren't, just aren't fans of the pop/rnb/electronica sound. If I really had to pick half of the album for someone to listen to to get a feel, I'd say give Nobody Can Save Me, One More Light, Sorry For Now, Halfway Right, and Talking to Myself a fair chance. I think these 5 are where the band really succeeded. Not that the others are bad, cause sharp edges is a great song, but these 5 can desensitize someone to be able to appreciate the rest more.

9. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

Hooooly shit! Just listened to Sorry For Now for the first time right now
    From all the reviews I thought I wouldn't like this Song but omfg this shit is the best I've heard for a long time
    I really like the album. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD . LP did it again:):shinado:

VorteXLP likes this.
  10. Orange Box Nerd

Orange Box Nerd Drop the Keys to the Kingdom

I really did enjoy most of the songs on the album, however some of them seemed so bland to me(Heavy, Battle Symphony) I did enjoy Sorry for now, Talking to Myself. One More Light however was the biggest standout on this album and it made me feel many emotions at once. Reminded me of my Uncle and grandfather who died from cancer not even within 6 months of each other. And this song resonated with me.

Overall, its a 7.5/10 for me(Hell of alot more enjoyable then THP)

11. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I keep saying, nobody is prepared for SFN. NOBODY.

Abel, Blake, Sasuke and 1 other person like this.
  12. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

You're not alone. I feel a lot of divine/religious undertones in this album. It might be due to the organ that prevails through most of the tracks and lyrics aplenty about overcoming past demons. Not to mention am I the only one who imagines Chester preaching on Talking To Myself in one of those singalong churches? I'm not religious in the slightest but I can't help but shake the feeling.

13. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Sorry For Now would be better with more chipmunks. ;)

Blake likes this.
  14. Jadedjcbxnyc6981

Jadedjcbxnyc6981 Active Member

I will hold out til 7pm EST to listen to the album and tweet/post my first impressions of each song. The one song I dread to hear is One More Light. I am not ready to hear such a powerful and emptional song quite yet. 5 yrs ago tomorrow is when my aunt passed from stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. My whole family was devastated, and I keep hearing how emotionally raw the song is and am afraid that all the emotions I've kept inside might spill out. 5 years of hurt and pain might pour out of me. Either way, I have already connected to Heavy and Battle Symphony immediately. Thank you for pouring your hearts out and letting us into your lives:cry:

Blake and Halfway Dwight like this.
  15. Vic

Vic No game no life

This album just surpassed LT for me, now it's close to MTM and HT. NCSM is really growing fast on me, te melodies are so good and it's catchy in a very good way.

16. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

My deepest condolences, I am out of any "smart" words but I hope music and the community besides friends and famipy will somehow help you to cope as good as possible with your loss.

17. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

i love one more light song! who cares if one more light goes out!!

18. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Posts like this and the one above is why I feel this album is special. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but its very therapeutic in spots.

Jadedjcbxnyc6981 likes this.
  19. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Well, I finally listened to OML, shortly after receiving a download link in my e-mail. Still waiting on physical copy and t-shirt to arrive.

First Impressions, Subject to Change (Hopefully):
    Incredibly underwhelming, especially by LP standards. I barely remember any melodies, except those of the singles, TTM, and OML. TTM was the only song I was bobbing my head to, for it had actual energy. I can't say this about most of the other songs, maybe just GG.

Many of the other tracks were so predictable in structure, with only a few exceptions. I know LP uses the "universal structure" for many of their songs, but they didn't really try to stray from the formula all that much, with possibly SFN being the one exception (Chester rap-singing). To be honest, I was feeling too relaxed, even a little drowsy at times, while taking in OML.
    Yes, I even used a pair of quality headphones to hear all those amazing sounds that are supposedly layered in the mix. I heard some of them the first time, and they were cool, I guess.

All that said, I wouldn't say the album itself was truly terrible, just lacking in variety and plain boring at times. I'm sorry to say that this did not sound like a 6-man project, as some band members seemed underutilized or barely present throughout. Also, the lack of Mike was quite disappointing, too, though his lead parts on Invisible and SFN sounded pretty good.

I will probably post a full review after listening to OML front to back at least 2 more times.

20. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I've listened to the album about 10+ times now. It's grown more and more with every listen. Each song is very tightly produced, is catchy, and is memorable. For me I consider OML to be very, very good. Not sure where it ranks amongst LP albums for me since I don't even rank them but I consider it to be a very strong release by the band. Can't wait to see the live performances of the songs off of the album.

Sasuke likes this.