Linkin Park Taps "Given Up"

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Atropo

Atropo Member

it should've been NMS......

I heard that the video will be made with parts of the live performance in London...
    It's a nice idea, but i miss videos like papercut or in the end, with supernatural things :cry:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Comparing the lyrical content of "A Place For My Head" and "Given Up" is like comparing the military capability of the United States and Ethiopia. That is an absolutely brutal comparison.

When it's said that "Given Up" is a "teen angst" song, we mean it's tailored for frustrated teenagers much in the same way "One Step Closer" and "Don't Stay" were. We're not saying other people can't enjoy it, and you obviously do, but it's an embarrassment of a song when compared to other songs from 'Minutes To Midnight'.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's definitely got more teeth than the power ballads.

misery

misery Well-Known Member

I think it's more about Chester's drug addiction than teen angst..

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

We've already have a song for that; which is Crawling in which suggests that someone has been through drug addiction (crystal myth according to Wiki). Also we also got Breaking The Habit if nobody has completely forgotten about the Meteora singles.

Rwey964637

Rwey964637 Active Member

Why is it that when it's Linkin Park, people seem more inclined to focused on the lyrics than the actually music itself? I mean, everyone was crying about the fact that they went from being angry, playing hard music, and then kind of went to a soft, melodic sound. And now that they are releasing a heavier song, people are crying because the lyrics seem to be geared more towards teen angst than anything else. So what if it is or it isn't. I'm 25 years old, go to college full time and work full time at CompUSA and I'm sure most of you have heard they are closing all stores. So basically I'm about to lose my job and others are more worried about "prices" than the well being of the people that actually work there (now to my point) I'm 25 and after a shitting day with dealing with assholes, it's a very nice thing to be able to go to the bar and request Given Up just to drink a beer and blow some steam off. It's got more meaning than "teen angst". Enjoy the music and try not to look too much into the "meaning behind it". The guitar riff towards the end is awesome :) Oh and another thing....it's funny how blabbermouth bloggers tend to rip LP a new asshole everytime theres a story about them on there, yet, they seem to like the fact they are releasing this song cus it's the only one other than NMS that they like lol.

CHW42

CHW42 Well-Known Member

Bleed It Out should of been a live song...the only thing LP could of done with Given Up is some video of a guy ODing like crazy. Which in many people's eyes would be kind of unlinkinparkish...considering they are mostly a non-explicit band. I still think they could of done another song like In Pieces or Leave Out All The Rest...even No More Sorrow.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It's not just Linkin Park, fans of all bands look at the meanings behind the lyrics of songs. It's the underlying message a song is trying to portray that is the most important thing, to me, but perhaps not to you.

The point of this is that this band has evolved and come out with a truly different album that is a fresh breath of air. They didn't rehash 'Meteora'.... with the exception of this song. Why Warner would release this song, when it is highly unrepresentative of the band's new sound and lyrical direction brought forth by 'Minutes To Midnight', is beyond me.

When you look at the other songs on the album, and their lyrical content, "Given Up" is far and away the most childish, whiniest song on the album (votes can be cast for "Valentine's Day", but I actually think it's a very heartfelt emotional song) and only plays into the hands of those who continue to pigeon-hole this band as whiny, cheesy nu-metal.

I'm sorry to hear about your job, and I'm happy this song is an outlet for you. I just feel it's probably the worst song they could have chosen out of the bunch.

It's a hell of a live song, though.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

To an extent, I agree with you. I feel that lyrics and meaning in a song are vital for how good a song is however I also believe that people do tend to take meaning a little bit too seriously. I mean it really isn't the end of the world if certain aspects of a song could be better but the song itself is good as it is.

Rwey964637

Rwey964637 Active Member

I understand where your both coming from. Thanks for trying to understand mine lol. and thanks about the job thing.

maclieberman

maclieberman Just caught in the undertow..

I love "Given Up"! Not because for a little bit, i made that my anthem because of how i feel in life, but because its a different sound for Linkin Park, and they sound great..

And a lot of people also say that another terrible choice for a single was "What I've Done"...i disagree. It sounds like a great comeback single..thats just what it was, was a comeback single.

But i dont like their decision on making the video a live video..i expected maybe a violent video, hence the violent feel of the song.

but did Chester say what the real meaning of this song is? What makes u think its about his past drug addiction?

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

The impression general people will get from this song is he's sick of life and wants to kill himself, it's a shame because it is deeper than that if you know what the song is about.

misot90

misot90 New Member

Given Up is a very nice song. I like the 18 second scream.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

i personally beleive this was a great choice video should be quite interesting

cavpollo

cavpollo New Member

yeah, I agree with you, thats one of the most impactant songs on the album (like bleed it out, and no more sorrow... but this one would be a little hard to sell)

its a little disappointing that the videos is going to be a live recopilation... but still I think it will be great :)

linkinparkfansid

linkinparkfansid Banned

well...
    Given Up is a nice song...
    but i personally think that it is not good enough to be the next single...

i guess the next single should have been either Leave Out All the Rest or Valentine's Day or The Little Things Give You Away....

those are the songs worth being the next single accompanied with a nice video!!

elemenT

elemenT Member

I really hope they get this one out soon, this track is INTENSE. I love the energy and the anger, should make for a cool live video!

wesley hahn

wesley hahn Member

http://www.7digital.com/widget/artists/linkin-park/given-up

[​IMG]
    Digital release date: 17 Feb 2008

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

?

ya I know that Given Up is going to be the next single but when is it coming out? I heard Feb 17. but it didnt happen so does anyone know the official date of release..it would be nice to know

lpfan913

lpfan913 New Member

Given Up is a great song and I'm glad LP is making it a single!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.