Linkin Park vs Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 16, 2014.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I never really considered Coldplay rock rock. Sure they're a rock band, but more focused towards the alternative pop side, and it's clear since Parachutes that their music is more focused on a pop direction.

2. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

album sales are irrelevant nowadays. we're long past that. Linkin Park, among others have held well, whether they're tenth or first, this is respectable.

3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

A. I never said in this post that I downloaded the album, there are more ways to listen to music too.
    B. As Filip said, there are other albums worth my money more than THP. Sometime this week I will be going to buy 'X' by Ed Sheeran

4. M&M

M&M Banned

There is no other piece of music in the world that is better than Linkin Park.

5. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

That's probably the most ignorant thing I've ever heard :facepalm:

6. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

But he is right :kappa:

7. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Here's a little lesson. There's such a thing called opinions (I know, crazy right?). So when I say that I like "x" band don't tell me that they are a bad band and to listen to a good band like "y" band. We all like different music on here. We just all happen to like Linkin Park enough that we joined this website to talk about them (and other stuff).

8. thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Just for some perspective Jennifer Lopez's new album debuted at 6 with 33,000 sales. She's sold 55 million records in her lifetime, has American Idol, and is worth 250 million.....but only sold 33 k records.

LP did well first week. They'll probably push 2 million worldwide with THP.

9. Blake

So I always knew people were not buying music anymore but a sad realization just happened. So, there is this store called Fred Meyer in Washington (It's like a Walmart) and I had money left over on a giftcard from Fred Meyer. I was planning on buying 'X' by Ed Sheeran and using the giftcard for it. I wanted to purchase the deluxe version. There are two Fred Meyers relatively close to my house. First one I go to earlier in the week doesn't have the album at all. Second one which I stopped at yesterday has the album but did not have the deluxe version. I asked the guy working there if they had the deluxe version and his response was the following: "All that we have is what is out there, they have cut back our shipments since people don't buy music anymore." I knew people do not buy albums anymore but this was just sad.

It's very sad that physical cds will probably eventually be extinct.

10. jdanek630

jdanek630 Well-Known Member

Not extinct, but they are joining the ranks of Vinyls, audio cassettes, etc as collectors' items for their main purpose.

11. jdanek630

I think everyone would be able to agree upon the fact that KoRn remains a rather "big" rock band by 2014 standards, right?

Well...

The Paradigm Shift, released in 2013, sold 46,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, and debuted and peaked at #8 on the Billboard 200, making it KoRn's twelfth studio album to peak in the top ten.

Album before that? The Path of Totality, released in 2011, sold 55,000 copies in its first week to debut at #10 on the Billboard 200.

The band's most successful commercial album, Issues, debuted at the top spot on the Billboard 200 in 1999 with 575,000 units sold in its first week of release.

Notice a trend?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. Blake

Korn isnt that big today.

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Wow, THP debuted at less than I thought, and my expectations were already low (I was thinking around 125k). Regardless, to still sell over 100k in one week is healthy now days. It just goes to show that barely anybody buys music anymore, especially CDs. Whether this is a sign of overall decline in album sales or LP in general losing the steam they once had, I'm guessing a mix of both. As far as worldwide sales goes, Lana killed it. She did extremely well, I'm glad. She deserves it.

14. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

World Wide TOTAL SALES

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence - 356,000

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party - 270,000

Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour - 215,000

To be honest, LP's worldwide sales would have been the similar as LT if the US sales didn't go down so much. But it's a fact that LP decreased in sales worldwide too.
    Another point to be noted is that Sam Smith's album was already released in certain countries before which is why his sales is lower than LP's and Lana's.

15. jdanek630

Big relative to what though? They are still a well-known name - the masses know who they are, and what type(s) of music they make. Venues and arenas still fill up to see them. It's still shocking to me that studio albums selling 30K-40K can debut within the top 10. It used to be only a decade ago, give or take a couple of years, that selling that many records wouldn't even place an artist within the Top 50.

With all of that said, I am still somewhat disappointed by this release's debut - however, I have reason to believe that it's "staying power" or "pace" will hold steady. I think it will remain in the top 10 for week #2 and possibly week #3. Why? Until It's Gone is moving quickly up the mainstream and active rock charts, along with the Hot 100 -- which is where they want to be if they want to expand their audience base for this record.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  16. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Eh, technically you're both right. Korn is a big "legacy" band, they have a lot of respect and see healthy concert attendance, but mostly because of what they used to be as opposed what they're putting out now. They do ok nowadays, Never Never was a fairly big hit for them, but they're not exactly selling out arenas anymore, either.

Which is what LP may be heading towards, at the moment.

17. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

As long as there's ITE and Numb, LP will sell ou any arena.

18. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

Everyone makes THP sales sound bad when they really are very good for rock today. Look at other popular rock bands debuts, there all beetween 40-60k, other then the last avegend sevenfold album, I don't see that many rock records beating what LP sold with THP in the last year.

19. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

You also have to think, again, this is a band that's considered a decade out of their prime/peak/whatever. That the 2 albums before it were in the Top 10 at all, let alone #1 albums, is really, really impressive. Not even considering, again, this album hung in there with 2 very big name, very fresh acts.

20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

To me, this is a sad idea. LP might be this close to just being a "legacy act" and nothing more

From what I've seen in both videos of their shows and my own personal experiences, the vast majority of people who turn up are there only for "In The End" and "Numb". Maybe "One Step Closer" and "Crawling" too. They probably wouldn't even consider themselves fans of the band. I have no idea how they think that seeing the band perform those few songs live is worth paying hundreds of dollars and standing as part of a crowd for several hours.

They can't all be people who were dragged along by their spouses