Lou Reed & Metallica new album

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Shikshak, Jun 18, 2011.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

The Lou Reed parts are hardly the biggest problem with this song, it's just an unusual factor in the music this time around so one's reaction is to point that out as the most glaring. But, to me, I'm more.... offended, at how dead set Metallica are in not willing to change. It sounds dreadful.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Well that's fair enough I guess. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it.

In regards to the Lou Reed/Metallica song, think you'd have to be a fan of Lou Reed to enjoy this album properly. His voice is an acquired taste and to me it sounds a little mismatched with the music. It gets a little more interesting at second half of the song (the first half is very boring and repetitive) but thats it really. They might surprise us with the rest of the album, but who knows?:(

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I listened to the song now and I don't think I'm ever gonna do it again.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Same here. I'm not interested in hearing the rest of this album either. I get that it's a concept album and cheers for trying, I just don't see it as my cup of tea... Nothing in this song excited me.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Lar's has always been overrated as a drummer in my eyes.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

True this is, yes.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I used to justify the fact that there really was no God by using the example of Cliff dying instead of Lars.

I'm joking, obviously, but Lars really does fucking suck as a drummer. I want someone to prove me wrong and post a video of a Lars drum solo live or something. And then, think about what you just posted and listen to it again. Yeah, I know. IT SUCKS!

:p

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I heard "The View" about 5 or 6 times across Sunday night and Monday. Liked some parts, didn't like other parts. Overall, didn't think it worked.
    Today though, decided to spin it again & for whatever reason it worked, everything flowed & I enjoyed it.

I think that's a pretty extreme reaction. It's [one song from] an experimental side project/collaboration. No matter how bad it is, it's hardly grounds to pack it in.

Incidentally, if anyone actually wants some insight into the plays this is based on, have a gawk at this review from last year:
    http://berkshirereview.net/2010/07/lulu-frank-wedekind-anna-ledwich-gate-theatre-london/

Sounds pretty fucked up, uncomfortable, intense & psychotic. The goal of the Reed/Metallica collab is to capture that. Looks like they're achieving that. Like I said before, this will require multiple listens to dial in to what it's about. Writing it off after one listen would be doing it a disservice. Again though, it definitely won't be for everybody.

Completely disagree. If you were following them over the past 3 years it's pretty clear that there stronger as a band then they've probably ever been.
    Death Magnetic & the following tour were a resounding success. They have a spark, a visible enthusiasm for playing together and they're kicking ass live. They're on another career peak right now.

They won't be touring Lulu, maybe they'll do a couple of gigs here and there. They have the 30th anniversary gigs coming up in December & it seems they've started writing the follow up to Death Magnetic in the last few months.

RE: Lars drumming ability - Once upon a time (late '80's- through the '90's) he really was a great drummer. He had a great ear/feel for playing to the song (more important than technicality, IMO). The problem is he stopped practicing, in the 2000's in particular is ability went way down. He's not a patch on what he used to be. Although lately he seems to have stepped up his game.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Lar's has had a ringing in his ear for years now, but he was awful even before that.

Dude should have just stuck with tennis.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I think people here are pretty acquainted with Lou Reed - I get the feeling itt that more people are shattered that Lou Reed is working with Metallica, rather than that Metallica is working with Lou Reed. If Lou Reed wanted to do some creepy half spoken vocals over slow metal riffs, I think I'd prefer if he was working with Boris or Melvins possibly.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hmm...a Lou Reed/Melvins collab actually sounds like a REALLY cool idea.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

This is REALLY BAD.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

It sounds like Lou Reed with Metallica as a backing band.

I don't know what people were expecting, really. I'm liking it.

Also, has someone read the lyrics to Dragon? They were posted recently, and man, that's how you write good lyrics.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I heard this and honestly thought it was terrible.

I want them to make another proper album, as Death Magnetic was awesome bar TDTNC and Unforgiven III.

Some awesome riffage on that album.

Moridin

They are. They've been writing for the past couple months.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I AM THE TABLE

Moridin

Anyone wanting to listen to this, do yourself a favour; wait until night, turn the lights down, get your headphones & give it you full attention. Treat it like you were sitting down to watch a movie. This is essentially the soundtrack to Lulu afterall. Streaming free here.

If you're looking to rock out - don't bother. If you are just giving it a cursory listen & aren't willing to give it you're full attention - don't bother.

Quick opinion of the tracks after 2 listens;
    B. Gate & The View - I'm pretty meh on these 2 tracks.
    Pumping Blood - Apart from Reed repeating "pumping blood" over the riff near the start, great intense build up in the middle, love this track.
    Mistress Dread - Way too much repetition, but decent.
    Iced Honey - Sounds a lot like Sweet Jane, probably the most conventional track on the record, decent.
    Cheat On Me - Good if repetitive.
    Frustration, Little Dog, Dragon, Junior Dad - Love these tracks, especially Junior Dad, beautiful song, although it could end 5 minutes sooner.

Overall, very good album. I'm happy Metallica are pushing boundaries again.

I might add more to this tomorrow, I'm knackered right now, gonna go to bed.