LP Remix Guide

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Reflectionist, May 27, 2013.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Hey, guys.

So I'm wanting to make a Google Doc Spreadsheet as a quick reference guide for Linkin Park fan remixers. You want to know the tempo of a song? Here you go. Key? Here you go. Curious if there are stems? This'll tell you what's out there. There have been so many times I've just wanted to sort my tracks by tempo or key and then decide if I want to do a mash-up, instead of getting excited over an idea and once halfway through it realizing it's just not going to work.

So that's the point of this project. It's a Google Doc spreadsheet that lists all Linkin Park, Fort Minor, and Dead By Sunrise songs, their keys, tempo, availability of stems, and of course title and album. As of right now, I've only got the five studio albums listed, with a good jumping point for formatting certain things. Not all of the information is complete, though! And that's why I need your help!

Some things to note:

1. There's no need for live tracks, unless it's something specific like an IEM recording that can be used. So there's no use for putting in Live In Texas or Road to Revolution.
    2. Time Signatures do change. In Burning In The Skies, for example, the verses are in 6/4, while the chorus is in 4/4. So I notated that by putting it like this: "6/4(v) 4/4©".
    3. Some of the songs might not be quantized (or they weren't recorded to a click track). An example would include The Messenger, which I know is around 125, but not 125-exactly-on-the-dot. I notated that with an "almost-equal-to" sign next to the tempo. Like this: "≈125".
    4. There are a lot of interludes on A Thousand Suns. If you know any other interludes (like Reanimation), just copy that formatting. The formatting there is more useful for Reanimation than ATS, since there is a key, tempo, and time signature for Wake, The Radiance, NTR/mssn etc.
    5. To my knowledge, Until It Breaks is the only song with an actual tempo change that I've come across. There's a change from 80bpm to 85bpm at some point (I'll have to check for those values). I haven't gotten there yet, but I'll probably notate it like this "80(v1) -> 85(v2)" Or something like that.
    6. As far as the Stems column goes, it's a bit more complicated than just a Yes or No. Yes would be that the song has stems, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't say something about that Make Your Own Mash-Up contest LP had around 2008 or so. They may not be super high quality loops, but I know there are partial bits of Leave Out All The Rest out there to use. There's also some fan made stuff, some of the songs have incomplete stems. There's a turntable track for It's Goin' Down floating around out there. I'd like to account for all of that.
    7. Some tracks were released as b-sides. My December and High Voltage should use Hybrid Theory's formatting, while Blackbirds or It's Goin Down should use a formatting of their own, since they don't really belong to an album.

What I really need help with right now is putting in rows for Hybrid Theory EP, Reanimation, Collision Course, LPU cds, collaborations, and b-sides. I might also include links to lyrics (try to use an official source, if possible).

At any rate... for now this is open for people to edit. You guys have the link. Please don't be a dick about it by deleting everything, and don't be upset if someone else corrects you if you're wrong. That's just how peer review goes, and that's the best way to ensure accuracy.

So, what do you guys think? Good idea?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

BPM info: tap tempo and cross-reference with (admittedly unreliable) Google search results, people.

Reflectionist

That's... why... this?

Tap tempo is unreliable, because not everyone can tap to a click. It can get you close, but not accurate.

Could you tap tempo to Last Night In Brooklyn?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    minuteforce

Yes, you made this thread because your spreadsheet is incomplete.

Unless there's an existing + accurate database wherein all of this missing information can already be found, we actually need to determine BPM information ourselves.

Reflectionist

Once it's complete, open editing will be removed. :)

I only need help because it's stupidly ambitious.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I see nothing wrong with the existence of this thread. We are the only fan site for LP that has a monthly remix contest so we should have a remix guide to go with it. It would make things a lot easier for the fans. Telling someone to simply google something is being incredibly unhelpful.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This. Great idea, Reflectionist. Very helpful.

minuteforce

You misinterpret what I said but I do apologise for being an idiot by not making myself clear.

We have to provide whatever BPM information isn't in the spreadsheet. Jake needs our help to complete the spreadsheet, hence this thread. I'm not at all saying that this thread shouldn't exist and I never did. I'm saying that we have to find the information ourselves in order to fill in the blanks, specifically when it comes to tempos. Sometimes, that involves actually figuring out a tempo ourselves with whatever method we favour.

Now, a method (one method, the only one which I know and rely on) of doing that is to, firstly, tap to estimate the tempo and, then, cross-reference the result with the results from a Google search. In my opinion, all the methods at our disposal for determining the numbers are equally accurate (and, thereby, also equally flawed). Short of the band giving us the official word on the tempos for all of their songs, they're the only ones that we have.

Sure, you can rely solely on your DAW of choice to figure out the right numbers - I know that you all use FL and I've heard nothing but good things about how good it is at that - but it won't be perfectly right 100-percent of the time. A Google search to see what others' attempts have yielded can be useful as well.

This spreadsheet will be helpful to all of us, but we have to do what we can to fill it up with accurate information first. Once that has happened, then, yes, searching elsewhere for key and BPM information for Linkin Park songs may well become a thing of the past and, yes, that would be great. A database like this is a great idea and such logic is obviously one of the reasons behind LPA starting its own wiki.

But I digress; I certainly should've put more thought into that first reply I made. I shouldn't have replied to the thread in such a rush when it obviously warranted a little more than a vague half-sentence. I'm seriously sorry.

Reflectionist

I use ACID Pro, but I don't use the Beatmapper.

I open the track as a one-shot (which means if I change the tempo of the project, it won't change the tempo of the track). Then, I set a strong downbeat that I can see in the waveform to the downbeat. Then I move the tempo slider until the grid matches up with the waveform. It's 100% effective unless the track isn't quantized (or has a tempo change--UNTIL IT BREAKS--but that's an easy fix), I don't have to fudge a bpm by setting the click to the dotted eighth note for a 6/8 track. It just works.

(I'll take some screen caps to help explain that process better, in the name of good science.)

As far as another concern you mentioned to me, I DID go ahead and make it more of a private thing instead of letting it be edited by just anyone. I gave editing rights to a few people I trust. Astat put in all the key signatures for HT and Meteora off the top of his head one day. That's also the point of the thread. If anyone sees anything completely off, just bring it up here or in the same thread at LPL, and it'll be looked at. Once I'm confident everything's correct, I'll probably make another thread here and on most of the LP fansites and try to get it stickied. There won't be any editing at that point.

(Don't worry, Tony. I'm a philosophy and science nerd. I completely understand the importance of objectivity and peer review.)

So thanks for the support! I'm glad I came up with the idea. I've been wanting to do it for a really long time.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    minuteforce

Well, the way in which you go about it, as described, is probably a step above "just throw the track in and read the number!" so, okay. My approach sounds downright primitive by comparison :lol:

:wub: Do tell me more

Reflectionist

Well, it's off-topic, but here's a start.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

AliHassanJ's claim that "all tracks are official" on his channel is an EXTREME exaggeration. I'd say about a third of the stuff he posts is fan-made.

roBot

roBot Well-Known Member

great idea... I wanted to do something similar and started to create a lpa.wiki article with a table of the BPM and key values... Until now I only copied what I could find in the wiki...
    Maybe we could combine the two and have it listed there?

anyways, here is the link to the Key / BPM Index

keep in mind that this is really only the work of a few minutes of copy&paste-ing AND it is very incomplete and maybe wrong^^

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Reflectionist

Oh, boy. Those Cure For The Itch stems I made in like, 2004 are still floating around. Whooo....