LP, Warner Brothers and the future...

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by JZee, Feb 8, 2017.

JZee

JZee New Member

While everyone is excited about the news of upcoming Linkin Park single and album, maybe it is time to step back and think about the band's future as a whole. Specifically, I bring this up for a number of reasons but most importantly because this is potentially the last album under the Warner Brother's label.

In 2005, the band signed a new record deal with WB that had them deliver 5 new albums. Now, considering this was a new deal and Minutes to Midnight did not fall within that contract, the following would be included:

1. A Thousand Suns (2010)
    2.) Living Things (2012)
    3.) Recharged (2013)
    4.) The Hunting Party (2014)
    5.) [Untitled Release] (2017)

Therefore, before the album and touring cycle begins, could this be the short-term end for the band? We all know they've put an enormous amount of time into this album, so what could we expect in the future? In addition, since this is the last album on their 2005 announced deal, could we see more studio influence (mainstream releases, marketing, touring, etc.) involved in this record than any of the previous? For example, the lyrics, vocals and release information for 'Heavy' imply it will be a slower, mainstream contribution from the band. Different than other lead singles in the past:

-Hybrid Theory - One Step Closer
    -Meteora - Somewhere I Belong
    -Minute to Midnight - What I've Done
    -A Thousand Suns - The Catalyst
    -Living Things - Burn It Down
    -The Hunting Party - Guilty All The Same (featuring Rakim)

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

A Thousand Suns was released in 2011? Wow! Every day you learn something new.

JZee

JZee New Member

Update: 2010 - the correction has been amended.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

This could be their first step in going indie route? I don't know but they have Machine Shop as well. They can release it under their own label, maybe?

LP is an established band and WB is not dumb enough not to renew again their contract.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I really hope that LP establishing their Machine Shop label. and tell Warner "go fuck yourself"

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I feel like Warner's just kind of letting the band do whatever they want now, in terms of the sound of their albums.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'd be shocked if the band hasn't signed another extension with WB at some point in the last decade. Generally contractual stuff like that isn't made public, the only reason we found out about the details of the new deal before Minutes to Midnight was because it was essentially the terms of a lawsuit settlement.

TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

This. We have no clue if the band has signed a new contract, and in all honesty, I doubt LP will leave Warner. Warner seems to let them have creative freedom and supports their ventures (The Hunting Party was an example of this). I think leaving Warner would be a bad decision for the band, mostly cause they would most likely loose some amount of royalties from the entire LP back catalogue (All songs made under Warner, belong to them) and considering that Machine Shop is a Warner subsidiary, I don't think even if they wanted to go indie, could easily JUST by releasing on that label alone.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Personally, I have no idea how LP would fare as an independent entity. Also, from my understanding, their current partnership with WB really allows them to do whatever they want

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Honestly, I'm worried if LP goes indie. I know some music acts who do amazing work when they go independent, but at the same time, other acts do even more generic work or maybe even music that isn't special. Usually it's the latter for the bands that I know but who am I to know? :lol: It was surprising that Warner even released THP in the first place.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's considered a risk for a reason: because it is one. I would say, as a fan who doesn't know the ins-and-outs of these things, they'd really lose more than they'd gain. Shinoda elaborated on the band's relationship with their label when he guested on the LPA podcast last year and that's my basis

That said, it could be done. As a touring entity, they'd probably have to scale back a lot to make it work