LPA Monthly Mix-Up January 2013: Drum 'n Bass

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jan 6, 2013.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Nice, Glen. I was working on a H! VlTG3 mix for this month, but I think I'm going to stop. Mine is on a sub-par level by far compared to what you've got going on here. Well done. ;)

Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Frackin Frackers (",)

Hey Hybrid. Don't stop, please finish your remix, i'de still like to hear it for sure. and hey there's still over a week to go, loads more time for editing.....lol, even mine (just done a cheeky edit) :)
    but anyway thanx for your kind words man

MarcMMP

MarcMMP New Member

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Hybrid

Alright... So I've decided to finish up my remix. Whether or not it fits in the genre of "Drum N Bass," I'm not sure, but I did only use drums and bass tracks to compile this. Anyways, Stagelight was giving me some crazy bad times while making this. It would shut off randomly and then I would have to do something again and again and again. Also, I decided I was done because the part where you are supposed to see the tracks disappeared. So basically the program told me I was done. Haha. If it sucks, know that I did my best with what I was given.

With this entry I drew some inspirations from asking myself "What would the song sound like if it was actually in a laboratory with high voltage popping light bulbs in the process of doing an expiriment?" This is the outcome of that:

Glen Orpheus

nice concept Hybrid, not so sure it fits with the D&B genre, but its all good practise.

i had never heard of Stagelight before, so went off for a look.....OMG its all endorsed by Linkin Park (WHY) ?
    a Digital Audio Workstation for $9.99, thats like £6.30 in the uk........lol i paid almost £500 for Logic.
    i think it boils down to - you get what you pay for, and what ive seen of stagelight its never going to win any awards......:(

sorry to hear your parts disappeared, god that would just be soooooooo frustrating, so big up you Hybrid for your perseverance to finish the track, surely you must win an award for that alone :)

Hybrid

Thanks, Glen. It's no secret I'm terrible at genres/sub-genres. I honestly didn't know "Drum 'n Bass" was a special genre of music. >_< I learned that after I was elbows deep in my remix. Well, if it doesn't qualify, I hope whoever listened to it enjoyed at least something in it. Anyways, as far as Stagelight goes, I'm not sure if it was my PC causing the program to hang up or if it was the program itself. I got the program for free, so it really won't matter much to me if I never use it again.

Glen Orpheus

I'm here mike, and already made my submission, how you been bro ? ;)

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

ATTENTION:

This is my new entry, overwriting the original which I had deleted in the post that I posted before

This one is called "SCREAMING AT SPACE". I named it that for a reason, and only hardcore fans will know why. Let me know what you think

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Glen Orpheus

if you have problems with genres then just google it....i found this on wikipedia :)

Drum & Bass is a type of electronic music which emerged in the mid 1990s. The genre is characterized by fast breakbeats (typically between 160–180 beats per minute,[1] occasional variation is noted in older compositions), with heavy bass and sub-bass lines. Drum and bass began as an offshoot of the United Kingdom rave scene of the early 1990s.

Opinions vary on what constitutes "real" drum and bass as it incorporates a number of scenes and styles, from the highly electronic, industrial sounds of techstep through to the use of conventional, acoustic instrumentation that characterise the more jazz-influenced end of the spectrum. The sounds of drum and bass are extremely varied due to the range of influences behind the music.

The genre places great importance on the "bass line", a deep sub-bass musical pattern which can be felt physically through powerful sound systems due to the low-range frequencies favoured. There has been considerable exploration of different timbres in the bass line region, particularly within techstep. The bass lines most notably originate from sampled sources or synthesizers. Bass lines performed with a bass instrument, whether it is electric, acoustic or a double bass, are less common but examples can be found in the work of bands such as Shapeshifter, Squarepusher, Roni Size and STS9.
    Of equal importance is the "808" kick drum, an artificially pitch-downed or elongated bass drum sound sampled from Roland's classic TR-808 drum machine, and a sound which has been subject to an enormous amount of experimentation over the years.

The complex syncopation of the drum tracks' breakbeat, is another facet of production on which producers can spend a very large amount of time. The Amen break is generally acknowledged to have been the most-used (and often considered the most powerful) break in drum and bass.

hope it helps a little :)

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

I'm happier with my new replacement entry.. wow I like it a lot. Good luck to everybody

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

This new entry of your's is pretty good, aside from some vox timing issues. You might wanna add what's required in the title. ;)

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Thank you I fixed the issues as well as the requirements. Close call, if it wasn't for you I'm not sure if i'd qualify.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Whether you'd qualify or not, the judges have forgotten about that requirement once or twice so you weren't completely screwed. ;) It's just something I personally find annoying 'cause I like meeting competition rules.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

I agree. I'm happy with this final choice for the competition. I'm going to sit back, listen to other awesome mixes, and let the judges do their work at the end of the month :)

Glen Orpheus

Glad I read this, had to change text on the title to qualify correctly. I must say though that if rules are made they should be add-eared too, or what's the point in making them :)

ShurpB

ShurpB Active Member

Glen Orpheus

DirtyBlup

DirtyBlup Well-Known Member

i posted my remix on youtube too, seems that the volume is higher there
    [video=youtube;mMrtQoq2Nf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrtQoq2Nf0&list=UUFr7z25hFiUCKl26Bar2tLg&index=1[/video]

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Loving that reinterpretation of the piano melody DirtyBlurp!