LPU 9 Is Out: The Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Trumtram

Trumtram Well-Known Member

and i really hope that no one comes along and bashes this cd because of the quality of certain songs. seriously, we knew that we'll get demos all along and demos don't necessarily sound perfectly produced.
    these demos are awesome because they give us a glimpse on either the development of a song or a song that did never happen. in fact we got 9 new songs!

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

And on the flip side, I have to laugh at anybody who says that "they should've put this version of x song on the album instead of the final version!" None of the 7 album song demos on this disc are even fully developed songs with finished lyrics, 3 of them don't even HAVE lyrics. Would people REALLY prefer a version of Faint with no chorus, a version of Figure.09 with no verses, or versions of Leave Out All the Rest and The Little Things Give You Away that are at least 75% comprised of nonsense vocals over the final album versions? Doubt it. Anybody who says otherwise is just impressed by the "newness" of these versions, as is typical with any new release.

If any of these demo versions had been put on the albums in place of their final counterparts, LP would've been blasted for putting "half-assed crap" on a studio album. That's exactly why these versions were left in demo form.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I don't think you are understanding these people at all Astat. None of the people here are saying "put half finished songs on the CD". Not at all. What they mean (or what I meant when I said the demos are better) is that they like the direction the songs were heading in more than what we ended up with. As I said in shoutbox, it's pretty pathetic when the UNFINISHED version of Figure.09 ended up being better than the overpolished, overproduced, rewritten Figure.09 that we got on Meteora. Don Gilmore killed that album. Butchered it.

I mean really...do you seriously think people wanted half finished songs on the album? :|

betterquitnow

betterquitnow New Member

Seriously guys, the figure.09 demo is so freakin' awesome! Too bad there isn't a "full" version of this demo, i love the chorus, it sounds so great!

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

No he didn't Darek. Don Gilmore is the best... i believe he is soooo much better than Rick Ruben. Meteora was such a great album, no matter what happened to the "unfinished" songs.

Derek

All I have to say is: :sick:

I don't agree..AT ALL.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No. Just no.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Don Gilmore's a decent producer but Rick Rubin is simply in a different calibre of producers.

Derek

It's like comparing a Toyota Corolla (Don) to a Rolls Royce (Rick); Rick is just in a different league.

Trumtram

exactly. at least that's what i meant when i posted my little review.
    if the "figure.09" demo had vers lyrics and would've been a bit more polished it would kill the final version. fro mwhat we can gather from this demo it would've been much better. didn't even think of the idea that people really prefer unfinished songs without vocals until you said it, astat...

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ay now, Toyota Corollas ftw. ( I just upgraded from a 1990 CE to a 2010 XRS :D)

A Brief review; nothing too insightful

01. A-Six -
    A let down,

02. Faint -
    A little overboard on the verses. It seems the final version is exactly where the band wanted to head with the track.

03. Sad
    Lovely instrumental emphasizing the background ambient melody of 'By Myself'.

04. Fear
    Would have been an interesting alternative to the final product that is 'Leave Out All The Rest', but not at all superior to final version even if they had stayed the course the direction implemented on this demo.

05. Figure.09
    Is it just me, or do I hear a 'Korn' influence? In any case, definitely a departure from what we got on 'Meteora'.

06. Stick And Move
    As stated, nothing too special.

07. Across The Line
    Definitely would have been one of the highlights on MTM.

08. Drawing
    I think Andrea(?) described it best, "it sounds like a transformer giving birth..".

09. Drum Song
    If only the demo was complete with an actual set of lyrics being sung.

I am truly grateful that the band finally started distributing additional unreleased material. Oosome. Hopefully, they'll stick with this trend with LPU in the following years to come.

Klootzak

Klootzak Well-Known Member

I like A.06 and the other instrumentals. I could have done without the rest. I think the final version of all of the demos are better. :rolleyes:

Figure.09 could have been a more interesting song, imo, if they would have done something with the "clean" guitar before the demo chorus. I don't particularly like the chorus of either version of the song, though, :p

They also could have written an entire new song with the 'glitchy' drum outro of Drawing. Which, I imagine, would have been awesome.:lol:

I'm not really feeling Across The Line. It's good they left it out.:unsure:

Derek

I just hope this is the start of something new. I think it was either Rob or Brad who said there is a LOT of unreleased demos/music in the LP Vault; lets hope LPU10 shows more of it.

Trumtram

wouldn't it be awesome if linkin park will release demos every year from now on? they have so many, even of unknown songs. why the waste if they are able to make us happy :).

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Solid disc. Very satisfied.

TIFFTIFF33LP

TIFFTIFF33LP Shut uuuuup when Im talking to you!!^_^

aww I cant wait 2 hear it!!!!^_^

Tomozaurus

Tomozaurus Well-Known Member

Needs a few listens I think.

I have no feelings towards Sad or Stick 'N Move. These are absolutely pointless imo.
    A.06 is pretty decent. Faint has better lyrics that the final version. Fear is awesome. Figure 09 is pretty decent.
    Drawing and Drum song are nothing really special.

Across the Line is the highlight for me. I really like it.

CureForTheSession

CureForTheSession Well-Known Member

The Faint demo sounds like Mike just took an unfinished version of the Faint instrumental and freestyled over it. hahaha but I really like it.

And I guess I'm the only one who likes the Stick n Move instrumental, probably just because I like the original version so much.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Figure 09 is the highlight for me. The stage this track was at on this CD is the direction they should have taken for the final track. The chorus, riff (albeit similar), vocals, everything is pretty much better in this version.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The CD is ok. Across The Line was a big surprise to me, I love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.