LPU 9 Is Out: The Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

damn, I am relistening to the CD and it is making me like them even more. Someone with good audio editing skills needs to take the Faint demo and take Chester's part from the studio version and put it into this song for the chorus and I think we'd have an amazing song. (sorry, I think it might have been said, lol)

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Fixed. Thank you.

I wasn't 100% sure what you meant on the bridge, but I think I did it right..lemme know if I missed any whispers :p.

3. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Still think that the Faint verse should be in the final version

4. Jalie

Jalie Antebellum Cecity

The lyrics of Across the Line were soooo written by Mike ^_^

5. Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

My first thoughts on Across the Line, were that it kind of felt like a hybrid of Breaking the Habit and In Pieces. Did anyone else get that? But yeah very interesting cd. I feel this song really growing on me now, like as we speak lol

6. kenvy

kenvy Active Member

I was somewhat disapointed in the new CD.

TLTGYA is not really what I expected after watching the LPTV episode where Mike plays a small recording of himself singing the song. Same with Figure 0.9.

7. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Eh, I doubt it ... but, yeah, the drum programming definitely reminded me of "Session". :) I guess Mike might've been going through a mad drum & bass/glitch phase and came up with those sorts of drum ideas for those tracks and maybe more that we won't be hearing ...

8. Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

But Session is there. It's not that you were reminded the core aspect of "Session" is in Drawing. I guess it's time for me to pull out the magical Acid Pro and layer the things so you notice it.

Really it's Session is just at a faster tempo (well the whole part of the drum programming) the other half of Session with the DJ scratch you can obviously tell it was added on. But the whole interlude to Session with the drum programming (which to me is the ONLY PART that stood out to me since day one that I heard Meteora was the drum programming).

What I am saying at the end is that the mad drum & bass /glitch phase during that whole solo section of "Drawing" was the original "Session" but due to how loud it got (because at a point if you are not paying close attention it all sounds like noise) I am sure they tried to make a separate song out of it, which became the Session we knew. The slower tempo version. And breaking the habit instead of it being one layer, after another layer, to another layer.. until finally it was one big picture and suddenly stopped, got the layer, another layer.. then replayed that whole section then.. added a layer, then replayed that other section then added one more layer, then it got to the point it caught your attention.. and little by little each layer drifts off till the song comes to an end.

Its still a very interesting thing to see work from a Demo to final product.

I am just delighted we have "Drawing" and it sucks it would've never made commercial success but to me it's a master piece. Because the feeling I did get while I was listening to "Drawing" was that of a drawing session :).

9. Ant

Ant Ambient

Love "Across the Line" and the demos from Meteora. I don't agree that they're any better than the versions on Meteora, though. They're just different and just as good, but I don't know that they're any better. The instrumentals are interesting, too.

10. LinkinPark2002

LinkinPark2002 Well-Known Member

I hope they continue to release good LPU CD's like this one.

11. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Drawing has absolutely nothing to do with Session. Session was originally recorded on the back of the tour bus during 2001 by Mike, which was before the demo for Drawing was done.

12. Shadow

Mike did say Breaking The Habit was 6 years in the making.
    Also we don't know what the working title name for "Session" was back in 2001. And I doubt that was the Session that made it on Meteora, but the Session that was in "Drawing".

But we do know it was incorporated to "Drawing".
    And we do know it was finalized with the name "Session".

13. minuteforce

No, I still think it's just that style of drum programming/editing that was incorporated into that demo.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  14. Shadow

Alright, I'll be back later with an mp3 showing you what I mean.

15. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

There's no way to prove or disprove the two songs are related. The only people who know the answer to the question is the band.

16. minuteforce

^ Yeah, I'll go with this. ;)

17. linkinlovprk

linkinlovprk Lpfuse refugee

I see what shadow's saying, I could see it very likely for them to take session from drawing, they've used samples before right? so why not take the part of session from drawing and turn it into the song it is today?

18. minuteforce

But I've yet to hear definite proof. :) I'm more than sure that the drum programming on "Session" is, at least, influenced by the drum parts on "Drawing", or vice-versa ... but, yeah, I'm waiting on Shadow's MP3. ;)

19. Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I'm with Chem.

20. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

So just because two songs happen to include remotely similar Aphex Twin-like digitized beats means they're derived from the same demo now? I mean if you want to be completely wrong, that's fine, really, but...

The Session that Mike recorded in the back of the tour bus in 2001 was EXACTLY the same thing that wound up on Meteora, minus the scratching that Joe did, and some minor guitar and bass parts that Brad and Phoenix added to it. Read the notes in the Meteora booklet.

Breaking the Habit WAS six years in the making...in the form of numerous different songs/lyrical ideas, all of which were scrapped because Mike felt they didn't capture what he was looking for. Drawing wasn't initially going to be related to the Breaking the Habit lyrical idea, it was just going to be a standalone instrumental song, meaning it wasn't six years in the making at all, it's just something Mike came up with on a whim like any other demo, and he just happened to put the lyrical idea he'd been trying to finalize for six years to that particular music.

I can guarantee you with absolute 100% confidence that Session and Drawing are in no way related to each other. It's kind of impossible for a song recorded in 2001 to be derived from something that was recorded in 2002.

FYI, the name "Session" probably has something to do with the fact that when you save a multitrack recording in Pro Tools, it's saved on your hard drive as a "session file."

*Edit* Aaaand we're done here - http://forums.linkinpark.com/showpost.php?p=524985&postcount=5

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.