Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

" Sony bosses in Japan are obviously furious about how this hacking scandal has played out, and aren't happy about the way Spider-Man has been handled regardless. They feel that they need to start producing more profitable "quality" films, and as a result, "Sony Japan thinks the Marvel deal for Spider-Man is still on the table and they want to renegotiate as a return to quality, the 60/40 split is can be negotiated and Sony Entertainment’s October hard-line stance of wanting creative control is now mostly moot in the eyes of the higher-ups.""

That would be fucking glorious.

I would be fucking delighted if Sinister Six got cancelled and Drew Goddard came back to write/showrun one of Marvel other Netflix series. He was originally on DareDevil until Sony pulled rank on a previous deal and made him leave DD for S6.

Or better yet he could write/direct a Spidey reboot in the MCU.

2. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Sony is such a joke. Half of the population could have written a better movie than The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Just sell him to Marvel and buy better employees.

3. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Please let it happen.

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Apparently the Sony hacks "confirm" that the Russo brothers are directing both parts of Avengers 3.

5. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

How about Wolverine? I hope Wolverine will make an appearance also in the MCU.

6. travz21

Marvel says they will move forward with a different actor for Spider-Man if they acquire the rights. Not upset about this.

7. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I've got mixed feelings about this. Andrew Garfield is a fantastic Spider-Man, but, it would be great for Marvel to have a fresh start. I would be really interested to see who they will cast if they get the rights. I hope it is an unknown. All too often, already established actors get judged even before their performances are seen (Affeck, Ledger, Leto, Gadot, Eisenberg, etc).

8. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Lmao those are all DC actors now. Anyways, while I would certainly feel heartbroken for Andrew Garfield to lose his role as Spider-man, a fresh start would not be so bad for the series. AMSM was good and the second was decent (it had a good cast but the way everything developed was too broken). I am a fan of Sony but not for their movies. I think that if Feige thinks that a new Spider-man is necessary, then so be it.

9. Gibs

The difference is that if Spider-Man were to be cast for the MCU, there would already be preconceived notions on what the character should be and look like. Marvel has never really had that problem, since the majority of their characters that exist within the MCU currently were never brought to the big screen before-hand.

10. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I don't know, I quite like Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, although the second movie was kind of a trainwreck (I didn't mind the movie, though).

I liked the idea that if Marvel reacquires the rights to Spider-Man and feature him in Captain America: Civil War, he'll already be an established character (i.e. no origin story) because we've already seen his origin story twice.

11. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Yup. Love Andrew Gafield as Spidey. You messed up, Marvel.

:lol:

12. Moridin

It looks like, from the leaked emails, Garfield has already been fired by Sony. So whether Sony keeps the rights or they make a deal with Marvel it'll be a new actor.

Which is music to my ears, I don't like Garfield at all. He's really irritating in general, but his Peter/Spidey is an obnoxious, entitled douche who never learns anything.

Even if Sony haven't fired Garfield, if they make a deal with Marvel that deal will not include the TASM series and it will not have Sony in creative control. There's no way Marvel will want to fold that clusterfuck into the MCU. Marvel are in the power position, they're dominating the Domestic & Worldwide Box Office, they're brand is basically the Pixar of superhero movies, & don't need anything Sony has.

Sony is floundering, not just with Spider-Man (TASM2 if it made any profit, it wasn't much, and the very negative reaction will affect the next movie's BO) but they been bleeding money for years, and now with the news that they knew their security wasn't up to snuff in going to be vulnerable to massive lawsuits from their employees. They have zero negotiating power with Marvel.

They'll crunch the numbers and figure out if they can make more money off of 100% their own Spidey film (even if they manage to pull their shit together and make a good film the damage from TASM2 will spill over to the next & that'll probably make less than $700m WW), or if they make more money from a co-production with Marvel which could very well make Iron Man 3 type money ~ $1.2bn.

13. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

This is true. DC's characters were more established than Marvel's before MCU and arguably still are. DC really has to bring their A game if they want to succeed. I don't think a good Batman vs Superman movie will be enough to bring them to the forefront. Honestly, its going to have to be amazing if they want the traction to support their movies all the way to 2019.

As for Garfield, I mean I like him. Albeit, he was a better spiderman then he was a Peter Parker which might have been the problem. I know a lot of people didn't like Mcguire but he definitely played the better Peter Parker. Honestly, if Marvel does indeed decide to recast him, which it is happening, I as a fan wouldn't be that disappointed but I would feel for Garfield because I remember when he was first announced as Spider-man and he was just so happy. However, Marvel so far has re-casted their characters with better actors 100% of the time so if they believe they can find someone better then I say let them.

14. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

lol, are you fucking kidding me? TASM2 (regardless if you hated it or not) didn't lead to any damage whatsoever. The film itself had $200 million invested into it and came out with $709 million, an obvious high trend all the films seem to have. By your logic, Nolan's trilogy should have been a major flop as a result to Joel Schumacher's universally hated Batman films, or better yet saying Raimi's third Spiderman film would have damaged Webb's first TASM.

15. Gibs

TASM2 has made the least of any Spidey film to date, and is the least grossing superhero film of 2014. When fucking Spider-Man isn't the top performer at the box-office for heros, and Guardians Of The Galaxy is (a group no one knew two shits about), there's a problem.

16. Moridin

$709 million is a shit-ton of money in a vacuum. However it's all relative to budget & studios don't get 100% of Box Office takings, overall they get roughly half of the Worldwide take (about 60% domestic, 40-50% internationally, 30% from China -- the rest goes to cinemas). A good formula to use is to multiply the production budget by 2.5, (to account for theatres share & covering marketing -this is straight from the guys who run boxoffice.com), to see where the break even point roughly is.

TASM2 also didn't cost $200m, the production budget was widely said to be closer to $250m, plus another $100m+ for marketing. It's the most expensive Spider-Man to date. Do the math.

With that in mind, and as Gibs already pointed out, it's also the lowest grossing Spider-Man to date:

Domestic Worldwide Total
    Spider-Man (2002) - $403.7m - $821.7m
    Spider-Man 2 (2004)- $373.5m - $783.7m
    Spider-Man 3 (2007)- $336.5m - $890.8m

TASM (2012) - $262m - $757.9m
    TASM2 (2014) - $202.8m - $708.9m

http://boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=Spider-man

Taking into account years of currency inflation, addition of 3D surcharges that's about a 60% drop in attendance in the domestic market. Overseas markets are also currently way bigger than they were 10 years ago (hell, even 2 years ago) and still expanding. Sony wanted 1 billion+ from TASM2 (a studio head was actually quoted as saying that). AND it was critically panned, meaning the next film will suffer further at the box office even if it's really good.

The Winter Soldier made not much more than TASM2 worldwide ($714m), but it cost a lot less to make & market, it nearly doubled what the first film made and it's critically acclaimed (not to mention made a good $50m of that domestically where the studio gets a higher %). All rosy.

It's funny you mention Nolan's Batman series coming after the Schumacher films because Batman Begins didn't make much money at the box office, people tend to forget that after the run away successes of TDK & TDKR.:
    Batman Begins:Domestic: $206.8m Worldwide: $374.2m

On a production budget of $150m (plus marketing). That is absolutely as a result of people hating Batman & Robin (Same thing will happen to a TASM3 if Sony go ahead with it). The main reason they went ahead with TDK was because BB had fantastic home video sales.

TL;DR - If TASM2 had done well Sony wouldn't be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Seriously, have you read any of the leaked emails? Jobs are actually on the line & they're scrambling hard right now.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  17. travz21

I didn't think cinemas got anything really for ticket sales. Like pennies on the dollar, while the rest goes back to the studio.

Anyways, how about hiring a Spider-Man that's actually 15-18 years old when Peter Parker is in high school instead of a guy in his late 20s. Garfield is 31 now and never looked super young to begin with. Get some actual kid out there who's kicking crime's ass.

18. Gibs

Having caught up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I'm really starting to wonder where in the hell Hawkeye is, his whereabouts not being accounted for in neither that show, or Cap 2. Age Of Ultron better provide a good explanation for his absence.

19. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Hawkeye was supposed to appear in The Winter Soldier but due to scheduling conflicts, Jeremy Renner couldn't shoot the scenes written for the character. (This is mentioned in the director's commentary on the Blu-ray/DVD release.) What he's been up to is absolutely going to be addressed in Age of Ultron, and there are a lot of rumors that he's going to appear in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Personally, I think it'd be awesome if he appeared in AoS, especially considering the character's relationship with Mockingbird.

20. travz21

I'd rather he appeared only on the show since he's easily the worst character in the movies.