Marvel's Netflix Universe

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by The Joesen One, Mar 30, 2015.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

No one ever said the shows can't or won't run concurrently. Since we know a second season of Daredevil is coming, it wouldn't surprise me if it premieres around the same time as Luke Cage (though obviously not too close, which would hurt Cage's viewership a bit).

Marco Ramirez was also a writer and I think producer for some of Sons of Anarchy, which is an amazing show. It can only be a good thing that he's involved and can bring his experience working on Sons to the table.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Hmm. I wonder if it actually would hurt viewership much at all. Unlike traditional television viewers don't have to decide on which channel to watch or how long they will want to stay up to watch a show since all of the episodes are released at the same time. They can view each show at their own pace without having to catch up with everyone else which means there's less of a reason to decide on one show more than the other.

Will

Well I don't know how ratings work for Netflix series, but I'd imagine releasing season two of Daredevil the same day as season one of Luke Cage would have to affect something. You'd have people watching one or the other, and I'd imagine that very few people would watch both at the same time. I just feel like that would have to have a negative effect somewhere.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Just finished the series last night.

Can't say that I'm completely over the moon with it. The first three quarters of the show set up for what could have been a far more climactic finale. Instead, the creators opted for a somewhat run of the mill superhero retread. The costume reveal was an unfortunate letdown and the sudden shift in soundtrack and camera angles in an attempt to emphasize that Murdock's transformation into a full-fledged superhero is now complete was cringeworthy. Not the smoothest of transitions; definitely elicited a collective sigh of 'wtf' amongst the most casual of Netflix viewers.

7/10

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Along with the fantastic casting of Jon Bernthal, there's a new logo and synopsis.

[​IMG]

Hmm... does that mean Ayelet Zurer and Vincent D'Onofrio won't be regulars anymore? :(

Will

I'd guess they'll have minor roles to play. Kingpin lived for a reason. He'll be back.

edit —

I've given it some thought, and I've got some ideas on how they're going to tackle season two.

Daredevil's going to be preoccupied with the threat of The Hand, which seems to be a given based on all the hints dropped throughout season one. However, he's going to cross paths with The Punisher at some point, obviously, who's also dealing with The Hand (although The Punisher won't know that's what's going on, I'd expect), and he's going to be confronted with the reality that The Punisher's a necessary evil: He'll kill where Daredevil won't. Assuming Bullseye or Elektra are cast, I can see Bullseye working for Kingpin while Kingpin operates behind the scenes, from prison (so he'll probably only cameo in a couple of episodes), while Elektra's going to be working with The Hand. Eventually, Elektra will be redeemed and she'll leave The Hand, and Daredevil will team up with The Punisher to stop Bullseye, but Daredevil will prevent The Punisher from killing Bullseye. The final few episodes will set up an impending war with The Hand, which I can see taking place during season three, or during The Defenders.

We're also going to see more of Karen's backstory explained, tying into Daredevil's Born Again storyline even more. I think that'll play an integral role in her character development and her relationship with Daredevil. And I think Foggy and Claire are going to end up being Daredevil's support team, patching him up and taking care of him and alerting him to threats and things like that, although that might be expecting too much out of them. Well, Foggy, anyway. I also think we're going to hear more from Leland Owlsley's son, depending on how old he is (it's not mentioned in season one). If he's old enough, I can see him being a co-conspirator with Bullseye, becoming The Owl during the season, or at least by the final episode, setting him up to be a villain in future seasons. By the final episode, I can see Kingpin being released from prison, where he'll have a much larger role during season three as the Kingpin proper. In all honesty, I can see the final episode setting up four things: The impending war with The Hand (which will continue throughout Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, culminating in The Defenders); Kingpin's release from prison, where he'll don the white suit and become the Kingpin proper; Bullseye's imprisonment (although I think the Kingpin will get him out); and Owlsley's son becoming The Owl proper; and finally, and perhaps the biggest one of all, Daredevil and The Punisher will agree to be "teammates" and work together.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about Marvel adding too many characters to season two, and their fear's that season two will end up like Iron Man 2 or even The Amazing Spider-Man 2, with too much going on too have a coherent, cohesive plot, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think they're going to be smart about it, which is why I don't think Bullseye will be killed off. Aside from Kingpin, he's Daredevil's most iconic adversary, so I think killing him off would be incredibly silly.

Of course, I could just as easily be wrong about everything, but we'll see. I'm excited for it and I'm pumped to see how it turns out. It sucks I've got to wait a year to see it, though. :lol:

edit2 —

As it turns out, the "new" logo was something made strictly for the news of Jon Bernthal being cast as The Punisher. It's not the official season two logo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    The Joesen One

Will

I hope she's awesome. I've never heard of her but Marvel hits it out of the park when they cast unknowns.

I was hoping they'd cast a Greek actress, though. I think it would've been a smart idea. But I'm absolutely sure this'll work out either way.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

She's a babe

Will

Would an admin be so kind as to change the title of the thread to "Marvel's Netflix Universe"? Personally, I think it'd be a good idea, but that's just me.

Anyway, news...

Speaking with ET Online, Melissa Rosenberg confirmed Rosario Dawson's (Sin City, Clerks II) character Claire Temple will be appearing during the first season of Jessica Jones. In the comics, Temple's known for being involved in a relationship with Mike Colter's (The Good Wife, Halo: Nightfall) character Luke Cage, who will also be appearing during the first season of Jessica Jones.

Steven DeKnight revealed, however, Dawson's character Claire Temple isn't the Night Nurse, as some theorized, because the actual Night Nurse will be appearing in Doctor Strange.

Additionally, Netflix COO Ted Sarandos revealed there will be a new season or series from a member of the Defenders every six months, and once each character has had at least one season, the characters will cross-over into The Defenders. However, he also stated some series will "selectively have multiple seasons as they come out of the gate," like Daredevil, and there will "probably be two launches a year." He also stated there's every possibility of the Punisher receiving his own solo series or film in the future, and any of the other characters could receive their own feature films.

( Sidebar: I think his choice of words here's interesting. He says there will "probably be two launches a year." Now, you don't "launch" something if it's already been launched. Therefore, I think we'll get second seasons of shows as well as premieres of shows; I think this means we may see a launch and a new season every six months, as opposed to one at a time.

Here's what I mean:

— Spring: Daredevil season one
    — Fall: Jessica Jones season one

— Spring: Daredevil season two; Luke Cage season one
    — Fall: Jessica Jones season two; Iron Fist season one

— Spring: Daredevil season three; Luke Cage season two
    — Fall: Jessica Jones season three; Iron Fist season two

— Summer: The Defenders

I can see it sort of working out like this, but I guess we'll have to wait and see, obviously. )

There are new rumors Marvel's planning on developing a Thunderbolts series for Netflix as well; however, these are just that – rumors, with absolutely zero evidence at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Luke Cage is about to start filming, supposedly August 18 is the start date with a March finish. Daredevil finished filming last December & was released in April, so LC will probably be released next July or so.

And I think it's more likely Defenders will drop after Iron Fist S1, in 2017.

With whats-his-face saying there's no guarantee that every season will get multiple seasons, and with no news on Iron Fist showrunners/lead, I think the slate would look something like this:
    -2015-
    Jessica Jones S1 - Nov/Dec

-2016-
    DDS2 - April
    LCS1 - July~
    JJS2 - Nov/Dec (If it gets a season 2)

-2017-
    Iron Fist - Feb~ (or maybe late 2016, depending)
    The Defenders - August~

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Done

Will

Thanks, Zane.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Quoting Will from the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 2 thread.

I get what you're saying, but personally I have not experienced any negativity or lamentations for Jessica Jones at all a part from a few people on this I think two total. Else where, and I admit I haven't really visited other places much but from where I have there has been excitement and the same kind of feeling that it could be Marvel's best show yet so when you say that people feel that Marvel should skip it, I'm not exactly certain how to feel since again, I've not experienced that sentiment any place else.

BTW, how dare anyone disparage Luke Cage!

:/

Some JJ pics here as well: http://mcuexchange.com/new-photos-of-krysten-ritter-and-mike-colter-on-set-of-jessica-jones/
    LQ logo: [​IMG]
    Dropped the AKA eh

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Will

As far as I'm aware, Marvel dropped the AKA from the title a couple months ago but never revealed a proper logo until now. Personally, I'm glad they dropped the AKA because it made the title of the show sound weird. No one was going to call it AKA Jessica Jones when talking about the show anyway; everyone would've just called it Jessica Jones. It makes things simpler. Part of me wishes they'd have been able to call it Alias after the title of her comic but that wouldn't have been possible because of that dumb Jennifer Garner show from a decade ago.

Like I said, I hope Jessica Jones and Luke Cage do well, because if they do well, that means we'll get more Netflix shows from Marvel, obviously. I go through the comments on the articles on sites like IGN and ComicBookMovie.com, as well as the subreddit, and I see people disparaging Jessica Jones all the time because they don't care about her character, since the other three are far more well-known. On top of that, a lot of people don't think Jessica Ritter's a good actress (I admit I've only ever seen her on Breaking Bad) so that's sparked some ire as well.

How long did it take for Daredevil to film? Eight months seems like a really long time. Jessica Jones is nearing its completion and it started only two, two-and-a-half months ago, if I remember correctly.

The Joesen One

I think Daredevil's renewal caught everybody by surprise. I was expecting it to be a miniseries, leading into Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist before concluding with Defenders. I think that's one of the factors why Steven DeKnight didn't return for season 2, which is why he had something else scheduled. I thought all four series would be shot simultaneously. Thankfully Jessica Jones and Daredevil season 2 are filming at the same time, so I hope we expect Iron Fist and Luke Cage within the next two years.

Will

I expected the same. I thought we'd get one season of each before The Defenders, and then a second season of each before another Defenders miniseries, sort of like how the movie universe (more or less) culminates in an Avengers movie.

They could've worked other characters into the fold, too, like Blade or Ghost Rider, allowing for a Midnight Sons/Marvel Knights arc to run concurrently, although then at that point it might've gotten to be too expensive.

Will

Rosario Dawson (Clerks II) will reprise her role as Claire Temple from Daredevil on both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Stephen Rider (Shameless) has been cast as Blake Tower for season two of Daredevil.

Tower worked with Jessica Walters (She-Hulk) in the comics, so I'm hoping there's at least some sort of reference to her. That'd be amazing.

Additional casting news for Luke Cage:

• Alfre Woodard (12 Years a Slave) has been cast in an unspecified role, although her role's rumored to be an adaptation of Black Mariah.
    • Mahershala Ali (House of Cards) has been cast as Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes.
    • Theo Rossi (Sons of Anarchy) has been cast in an unspecified role, although his role's rumored to be an adaptation of Shades.
    • Simone Missick (A Taste of Romance) has been cast as Misty Knight.
    I was hoping Mahershala Ali would be cast as Blade. I'm disappointed he wasn't, but I'm not disappointed he's joining the MCU, because he's a fantastic actor and was easily one of my favorite actors on House of Cards.

Given all this casting information for Luke Cage, I won't be surprised if we start seeing some casting information for Iron Fist in the next month or so.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Will

[youtube]ywZE-NEJ2Ik[/youtube]

20. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

That's a really cool teaser. I'm guessing the opening title sequence will be very much in that style. Loved DD's title sequence.

A little late replying to these but hey...

I think that all it is really, most people (including myself) aren't familiar with JJ at all, and as you say DD, LC & IF are a lot more well known so people already have a bit of a hook in them to look forawrd to.

Hopefully JJ's show will change minds when it's seen.

I think DDS1 started filming in July 2014, and finished up just before Christmas. About 6 months, and then released in April. (And it seems to be repeating the same schedule for S2)
    JJ started filming in February, finished in early August. So similar timeframe, around 6 months. Late Nov release. Looks like that'll be applicable to all the shows, although Defenders might be different, I don't think they're set on a specific number of episodes beyond being 4-8 so they won't be spreading the budget too thin.

-Yeah, I was expecting one season of each before Defenders, too. Glad to be wrong.

-Luckily Goddard had 2 seasons outlined before he left, so even with DeKnight leaving there should still be a strong through line.

-Luke Cage will definitely be out sometime next year, it's filming now so probably mid-late summer.

-Iron Fist, it's rumoured they're still trying to figure out how to approach it. We've yet to hear about a showrunner or a lead actor. But they could potentially be aiming for the same timeframe JJ had this year, ie. start filming Feb, release Nov/Dec. If that's the case then I'd expect a showrunner in the next couple months and a Danny Rand casting by the end of the year.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015