Medal of Honor/The Catalyst Trailer Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Kæton, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PFortyy

PFortyy Banned

lmao

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

See as much as I understand what you're saying...and agree there's been a lot of negative opinion, in the same light...the LPA is a good community because we allow those very opinions to be posted. Sure some of us here may not agree with what's being said, but I'd rather be a community that welcomes free speech rather than force the comments to be overwhelmingly positive.

3. LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Yeah I guess. I'm just having a bad day. Sorry.

4. ricky34024

ricky34024 Well-Known Member

This is sort of what happens when reading great literary works, watching a classic movie, or listening to MTM. It takes more than one try to start to appreciate the beauty and scope of the work. I have a feeling ATS will be like that as well. Personally, I enjoyed this clip a lot. For everyone who's complaining about this song: this was not meant to be LP showcasing their lead single. This clip was meant to be listened to while watching the trailer, and not solely as a listening experience by itself. Parts of the song were most likely edited in order to fit the scenes of the game trailer. The full single doesn't come out till tomorrow you guys. Even if The Catalyst is crappy, we can't automatically pass judgment on the whole album. LP wants us to listen to the album from start to finish because they want us to appreciate the album the as a whole and then to appreciate the individual tracks.

5. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

From phoenixlp's twitter: "Clarification: Medal of Honor trailer is not official song or video... Discuss"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

We have been deceived!!

7. Spin

Spin Chaos that defies imagination

Phoenix says it's not the official song...? What does this mean for us? XD

8. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

It basically confirms what Derek and others have been saying for hours now. The trailer was edited and put together hastily so that they could promote the game with Linkin Park's name and new single on it while also promoting the new song. It is not however the full, final and complete version of The Catalyst that the members of the band would like us to review or judge. That's most likely why Phoenix was so quick to ask where people had gotten a leak and when he found out it was only the MOH trailer he confirmed it was not the full official song.

9. ricky34024

ricky34024 Well-Known Member

I knew it.

10. thor

thor Well-Known Member

i dont know why some people are still hating on MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT. its been 3 years already. i dont care how much they change. im just greatful that their still around making music. i bet when these guys decides to call it quits, people will be begging for them just to write any type of music just to hear them again.

11. LP4Hope

LP4Hope ROCK & ROLL!

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    You Are So True!

12. Moviten

Moviten [Teh Unknown]

Alright, before I go on let me just say a few things I'd like to get out of the way. First off: I understand that this might not be the best thread or time to be making my first post, but I would like to assure you all that I am in no way an alt account or troll or anything of the like. I've lurked these boards for quite some time and have read through this ENTIRE thread. Secondly, I am a huge Linkin Park fan. They are my #2 played artist on last.fm, I have been listening to them since I was 10 years old (when Hybrid Theory came out) and have been behind them completely since. Originally when Meteora was released, I was really really impressed with it. It wasn't until years later (a little bit before the release of MTM) that it kind of struck me that the band seemed to be pretty much forcing themselves to replicate what was done on HT. I always knew I liked HT more, but I could never put my finger on it.

So when talk of MTM began, needless to say, I was excited. I joined LPU, I looked up every little bit of information I could and was incredibly excited at the idea of them departing from the sound on Meteora because I was afraid it would feel as hollow as Meteora did if they kept at that style. When What I've Done was released, I had a very luke warm impression of it. Then again, up to that point, My December (my favorite LP song btw) was the only "softer" song of LP's that I really loved. So I reserved my hope for the album and when it came out, I dug it.

It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I thought it had a lot of good moments. The only disappointment: The lack of Mike's rapping. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting nu-metal, but just the sheer exclusion of Mike in the majority of the songs came as a big blow to me. He was the reason I loved LP. He's the song-writer, the founding member (more or less), etc... I wanted more Mike and MTM didn't have it. But I grew to accept that and as the numerous play-throughs of MTM passed I began to realize what the album was: A stepping stone.

What I mean by this is that MTM was kind of an interim album for LP as they began to clearly shift their style and begin to change who they were. This helped me appreciate the album all the more. Given Up and No More Sorrow were my favorite on the album originally, but I soon began to appreciate In Pieces and the Little Things Give You Away a lot more. Reason being is that they both showed a very strong "progression" in terms of LP's musicianship. With In Pieces having their first solo and Little Things being their first acoustic song. I began to "just know" that this was sign of things to come for LP, so once all the clues began to pop up indicating their album was coming this year (due to support), I was ecstatic. Everyday I'd check Wiki, LP.com, LPA.com, etc... looking for whatever little news I could on what was to come and eventually I knew what I was waiting for: The Catalyst and A Thousand Suns.

The previews of the Catalyst threw me off. I was impressed with the lyrics and was looking forward to more of them, but the electronic drums just didn't seem to have any "power" behind them. They felt hollow, uninspired and just didn't do the things I could have hoped. But I didn't care too much as it wasn't the whole song and I figured there was a lot more to be heard.

Now that I've heard the majority of the track, I have to say: I'm unimpressed and even disappointed. There are a few things that the song does write, but the music itself is very...plastic. I know LP has been very refined/produced their entire WB career's, and I am fine with that, but the lack of instruments aside from all the electronica stuff going on, leaves a lot to be desired. Could you imagine how amazing this track would be if all the electronic drums were done on a real kit? Even if it couldn't match the spastic rhythm that is in place, it'd probably be for the better because the song feels as though it's rushing itself a lot of times. Imagine if the rest of the stuff (scratching aside because that is awesome) was done by guitar/bass? It'd be incredibly progressive, unique and unlike anything LP has ever done...but it would bring along "power" and depth that cannot be found in what is currently available.

This song, to me, sounds as though it is some kind of place-holder for what LP should be doing. Like they fooled around with Pro-Tools deciding what they should be playing themselves...but never took it out. To make matters worse, the lyrics follow an all-too-familiar pattern (in respect to themselves) and are a bit to repetitious for my blood. Not to mention that the effects done on Chester's voice are obnoxious and only take away from how good he actually sounds.

I'm not asking for another HT, Meteora or MTM. I am glad LP has grown up with me. But instead of becoming better musicians...they give us this. And I for one am not going to let my loyalty and fan-status stop me from saying that I think it's bad. Hell, I think it shows that there is still plenty of things they are not capable of as musicians. Because if they were, I'm sure they'd realize how much better the song could be if it were done naturally as opposed to electronically. This song basically takes the pace and fun of a song like Given Up and force-feeds it the styling of In Pieces, Shadow of the Day, etc... And that is a step forward, but I just don't like it. I am sure plenty of people will, but it's not for me. I would've much preferred if they done it in reverse and took stuff like In Pieces and made it more instrument-based. I feel that would result in much better songs.

Now don't get me wrong: I'm still reserving hope for the album. I am hoping for excellent work through-out and maybe then I will appreciate the Catalyst for what it is. But until then, as an individual song, it doesn't do it for me. I'll anxiously await for snippets from the rest of the album and hope that they do not disappoint, because I would hate to stop liking LP after all these years. It has been a crazy ride and I want to be aboard for the rest. But I have never, and will never support music that I do not like; I don't care who it is by. But here's hoping!

13. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

akira: You are the most disrespectful, egotistical, arrogant excuse for a member on these boards. Ever since you have signed up, you have not only made yourself look bad, but you are beginning to make these forums look bad, and this is where the line gets drawn. We've (and by that I mean every member on these boards) put up with your comments for the simple fact we like to be fair, and give people a chance. You come here time after time with no change in attitude despite being warned. Well buddy, the time has come for you to take your one sided / condescending views elsewhere because the LPA is a friendly community that doesn't tolerate people like you. Your holier-than-thou attitude combined with your unjustified, unconstructive criticisms just went hand in hand with your troll like behaviour, and because of this you are now banned from the LPA. I'm sure nobody will miss you and your antagonizing attitude. I'll rate your time here a 7.5 after thinking about it a couple of times. Good day, sir.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Welcome to LPA. But I can't resist....we haven't heard the song yet. I'll leave it at that.

15. OkamiSensei

OkamiSensei gas.mask.angel

Joe. I love you. Have a Seaman for your efforts: :seaman:
    But in all seriousness, hopefully this kind of thing won't happen again.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  16. Moviten

Moviten [Teh Unknown]

Well, we have heard the majority of the track. Which is what I said. My complaints about the music found in the song isn't going to magically change once more of it is added. It is what it is. But thanks for welcoming me! =)

17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Welcome to LPA, Moviten. Thanks for joining!

And thank you Joe for handling that troll.

18. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

This.
    Spot on.
    I did not expect to hear screams and amped guitar. Oh wait, did they say this record is nothing like HT and Meteora?
    I also welcome the layers, melodies and electronic stuff. Melodies =/= to pop.

And this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  19. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

+∞

Thank you, I commend you for your efforts. :)

20. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

You may be right but who knows? Perhaps the clip wasn't just shortened, it was edited completely. Meaning maybe these choruses won't be as repetitive as they appear. We may even get unheard verses. I for one am beginning to not care because the vocals are just so moving and catchy.

But if you strongly dislike the clips instrumentally and vocally, then you're right. You will not magically like it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.