Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dragondust, Oct 23, 2017.

Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

hmmm...so I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I'll just come out with it...I'm sure I've mentioned this here somewhere before. I've been dealing with Schizophrenia for many years...I'm a disabled veteran of the Air Force.
    Some days are better than others. I deal with depression also as part of the illness. I wanted to share my story.
    I've read that women are far more likely to commit suicide than their civilian counterparts and even men of the military. I don't feel suicidal hardly ever but sometimes it's difficult to just get out of bed. I find that creating things, making artworks ...etc. is an outlet for me and it makes me feel better, even if people don't respond to it or like it. I don't have to see my therapist anymore unless I feel I need to...so that's good. I do have someone who manages my finances which....really ....really sucks. I try to focus on positive things and not let the dark in.

minuteforce likes this.
    ~Laura~

~Laura~ Active Member

Im not good with words, more of a listener, but its nice reading you are doing a bit better with not needing your therapist as much. I know its hard focusing on the positive things, but i'm hear if you ever need a chat, or just to let everything out.
    :hug:

Dragondust likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I'm sorry you go through that. I sometimes hesitate to respond because I think people may be annoyed I'm the only that does. Like oh him again. I also have mental illness and see routine help for it. Every day is a struggle. Don't give up... easier said than done but it's a commitment to live by. I don't know about the statistics of mental health but there is evidence that people in the military do struggle a lot. Whatever helps you, whether it's art or just talking to people on here, it'd be healthy to stick to it. You don't want to lose any positive part of your life.