Midwest Emo

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by AThousandLivingTheories, Apr 23, 2018.

AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

[​IMG]

If you haven't ever listened to Midwest Emo, now is the time. This thread is here for Midwest Emo lovers like myself to discuss said genre.

FOR MIDWEST EMO STARTERS:

From Wikipedia: Midwest emo refers to the vibrant and influential emo scene that developed in 1990s Midwestern United States. Employing unconventional vocal styles, distinct guitar riffs and arpeggiated melodies, Midwest emo bands shifted away from the genre's hardcore punk roots and drew on indie rock approaches.

From the subreddit r/Emo: As time went on, Emo bands started to experiment more with loud/soft dynamics, intricate melodies, heavy build-ups, and twinkly guitar work.

Cap'n Jazz is usually cited as the original midwest emo band. Other notables include Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, Boys Life, and Mineral.

Recently, there has been a renewed interest in emo, especially midwest emo. These bands are heavily influenced by Cap'n Jazz and often have a strong bent towards math rock and post-rock in their song structure and guitar work. A few examples of these bands are Street Smart Cyclist, Snowing, Algernon Cadwallader, The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die, and Glocca Morra.

If you are new to midwest emo, I recommend this mixtape. It's full of great songs from the genre:

There are more midwest emo mixtapes out there on youtube, search for them!

NOTE: In spite of the term "Midwest Emo", bands do not necessarily have to be from the midwest to be considered midwest emo. As long as it has the general sound, it can check out. An example is The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die, a Connecticut band, or Chinese Football, from Wuhan, China.
    RECOMMENDED MIDWEST EMO ALBUMS:

American Football - American Football
    American Football (LP2) - American Football
    Chinese Football - Chinese Football
    Diary - Sunny Day Real Estate
    Whenever, If Ever - The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
    Harmlessness - The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
    Always Foreign - The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
    Inside Jokes EP - Midwest Pen Pals
    This Couch Is Long & Full of Friendship - Tiny Moving Parts
    Celebrate - Tiny Moving Parts
    Swell - Tiny Moving Parts
    The Albatross - Foxing

Anyways, happy posting! I doubt this thread will get much of a following, but I hope I can find other LP fans who are into this stuff, and introduce people to a great new genre.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Blake likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

You are real for that avy and this thread. I've seen Amefrican Football live and they are great, I've also seen Tiny Moving Parts live.

TWIABPAIANLATD is one of my favorite bands ever! Harmlessness is an insane album

AThousandLivingTheories

AThousandLivingTheories Mark The Graves

Glad to hear you love some of the same bands I do!

TWIABP is my favorite band, and Whenever If Ever is my favorite album. Harmlessness is also a great album!