Mike Shinoda Discusses Direction of LIVING THINGS with NME

Discussion in 'News' started by Benjamin, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Remember what Mike said at the middle of MOATS that they would not be making an album, They're making collections of songs and release it if they like it... and deliver album every 18 months gap... its pretty evident in LT, the gap from ATS til now.. But the question is, they gained lessons of Ups and Downs of all their 4 previous studio albums and smashed all of them to LT. After LT? what's next? back on experimenting again? OMG

2. _cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

I think its going to sound like LIVING THINGS: REPRODUCING :awesome:

4. RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Exactly. Coldplay's live performances are nowadays at par with live-legends like U2.
    Have you watched their performance @ Glastonbury 2011 ? :) They probably won the hearts of thousands of haters with that once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience. Mylo Xyloto was not even released at that time, but some people still knew the lyrics of the new songs and were singing along! Such was the power and intensity..

Linkin Park may manage to do the same with LIVING THINGS, if the songs turn out to be as anthem-ic and energetic as promised. :kicking:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, let's not go crazy :lol: - it's just that some fans have commented on how LP seemed to have just been going through the motions and not really getting into the performing during their "A Thousand Suns" run, partly due to a bigger emphasis on the production/multimedia aspect of the live show. Interaction with the audience was kind of, you know, lacking, and that's something we hope will change for the upcoming "Living Things" tours

6. RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Okay. ;) And yeah, I agree...

7. Dj-Jay

Dj-Jay Active Member

Pigeonhole smiley?..

8. Troll hard

Troll hard Active Member

01. "Lost in the Echo" 4:11
    02. "In My Remains" 3:45
    03. "Burn It Down" 3:51
    04. "Lies Greed Misery" 3:15
    05. "I'll Be Gone" (feat. string arrangements by Owen Pallett) 4:56
    06. "Castle of Glass" 5:02
    07. "Victimized" 3:34
    08. "Roads Untraveled" 4:05
    09. "Skin to Bone" 3:54
    10. "Until It Breaks" 2:59
    11. "Tinfoil" 2:07
    12. "Powerless" 4:45

9. Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

No one knows if these are real yet :WTF:

10. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is pretty much it. Mike's basically said that he feels they've ran away from the Hybrid Theory mentality (blending multiple genres into one unique sound), and that they wanted to recapture that this album. I happen to kind of disagree on that, as I feel like ATS not only had that Hybrid Theory spirit, but was the closest we've had to LP's original creativity in almost a decade. I felt ATS was true "Linkin Park" moreso than MTM or even Meteora.

But we'll see, the band seems to feel really strongly about this record so I will listen to it unbiased when it comes out and make my own opinion from that :).

11. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, track lengths are still unconfirmed

:toolbox:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  12. HazardousLP

HazardousLP B**** Please.

I saw that iTunes Festival one a couple of weeks ago and that was pretty damn good :D

13. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Before ATS came out Mike said the songs were generally a bit longer than before. Which ended up being true, 6 of the 9 were in the 4-5 minute range (Not exactly long songs, no, but there was a decided effort to give the songs breathing room to develop the ideas). Most of their songs before that were in the 2:30-3:30 range.

So when Mike is emphasising "shorter songs", (which has little to nothing to do with up tempo songs, btw, long up tempo/energetic songs are a real thing), & "using all the tools in the toolbox" but not heavy guitars, etc. it just starts looking to me like the main "old tool" they're using is formulaic songwriting. Of course I'm going to wait and actually hear the album before making up my mind, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

I actually think The Catalyst is a very acurate representation of ATS from an attitude & songwriting perspective. It was a statement right out of the gate of how the whole album would have very different sensibilities & goals to previous albums.

All of this^.

14. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Not sure if real (doubt it, given it was posted by Troll hard...) but if it is true, album would clock in around 45-47 minutes~ish.

I'd gladly live with these track times.

15. HazardousLP

HazardousLP B**** Please.

itunes has the track listing so my guess is it's pretty formalised

16. Derek

I hope Keaton's predictions are way off. Just saying. :lol:

17. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Kæton said it the best. I'm a little worried at this point and have lowered my expectations/excitement by quite a margin.

18. Richoguy13

Richoguy13 Then it slipped away...

If real, then NOW has my excitement kicked in, otherwise, TRRROOOOOOOOLLL IN THE DUNGEON!

19. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

With all due respect Keaton, I disagree. I don't think the single sounds that much safer than usual, and being it's a single it does make sense, doesn't it? I am still very excited about this album, and the fact that they say it's going to sound organic excites me.

Hell, even the folks at my Dream Theater forum are really pumped about the album. That's actually what I came here to post, and I think it's great that the news of a new LP album resonates even within other fanbases.

20. Derek

I have a feeling this album might divide the fanbase even more than A Thousand Suns. This is going to be an album where fans will either completely love it, or completely loathe it (moreso than ATS) with fans on both sides of the spectrum. I'm predicting an extremely divided fan reaction on this :lol:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.