Mike's Headphones

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Yurieff, Nov 22, 2012.

Yurieff

Yurieff Meow. :3

Can somebody tell me what's the model of Mike's headphones he used here and here? I think that they could be those but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance! :)

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Holy shit, never saw that WFTE vid.

On the headphones, I think you answered your own question. Pretty sure those are the ones :)

Yurieff

Yeah they look almost the same but they could be another model. The ones that I attached a picture of are MDR-7506.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Mike discusses his headphones here: http://mikeshinoda.com/2011/04/22/my-old-headphones/

The model number is blurry, but I suspect you've identified the correct model.

Bare in mind that Mike has been using these for 15 years, and the primary reason for him continuing to use them (as opposed to a better model which he could easily afford) would be his total familiarity with them and his ability to rely on that. You may well be better off finding your own pair of good-reviewed, solid, reliable headphones which you can then get used to and become familiar with :)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The MDR-7506 are also one of the most consistently well reviewed headphones as well though. They're repeatedly praised for their ability to stand up to the test of time and for their very natural tone (pure natural sound without making tracks sound too trebley/bassey) and a lot of pros use them. The problem is that they're hard to find, and some places sell fakes.

Are they the best out there? No. But they're reliable.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I own the pair that's a step above what Mike uses. Honestly, in comparison to my Audio Technica's, they're a step down. These are more on ear feeling than over ear due to the thin ear cushions and the sound just isn't as detailed and crisp as my ATs. But for someone stepping up from basic in-ear earphones, they'll still be a dramatic increase in quality

Yurieff

Holy Shinoda. I need those NOW! :D Thank you, guys :)

m_macdonald

By all means check them out and buy them if you like the look of them, but I would caution against buying them solely because you see Mike using them! As I mentioned before, it's my strong opinion that it's Mike's familiarity with those particular headphones that makes him continue to use them rather than buying, for example, a $1000 pair of headphones which he could easily afford.

While I'm sure they are excellent headphones, in the whole 15 - 20 years since Mike purchased those headphones, there have been a tree-load of headphones, some of which will not be as good, some of which will be as good, some of which will be better, so I'd strongly recommend looking at your budget and checking out a few well-reviewed models, including those from Sennheiser and Audio Technica, as well as Sony.

Just to illustrate my point, Mike also uses an old MPC for making beats, since that's a platform that he's familiar with. However, here in 2012, I'm not going to say "I must have an MPC, Mike uses one!" when I believe there are now superior options which will work just as well (if not better) for ME (such as Native Instruments Maschine).

Hope that all makes sense, I'm not trying to dissuade you from spending your money the way you want to, but I would recommend hanging fire for a bit and just checking out what headphone models you can get for your budget :)

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

You want on the ear headphones for mixing. Over the ear headphones create audio buildup and won't be as accurate. There's tons of pros that use Sony MDR brands for a reason. They're relatively cheap, long-lasting, and they produce sound very accurately with no bias.

Yurieff

I will be using them both for music making and for listening. Are they good for that?

P.S. In my area they cost 200 bucks (~$130) so I am looking for headphones with that cost.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'd rather listen to music as the artist intended it to sound like instead of hearing it with boosted bass or treble. Crystal clear, neutral headphones are perfect for mixing and still good for casual listening I think.

Yurieff

I thought the same. Mike used those headphones while working on the albums so if I insert the ATS CD and listen it with those headphones i will be hearing the exact things Mike wanted us to hear.

m_macdonald

If it's of any use, there was a discussion here on LPA a few months back regarding headphones. Some of the headphones suggested in this thread (including my own suggestion) may be outwith your budget. However, it's possible that you may find some other suggestions that are worth looking into! Hope that helps :)

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36725