More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Okay, so staff has decided to ditch the remedial sign-up sheet in favor of getting your opinion on the recent tension(s).

Please feel free to say whatever you want, within reason and taste; we'll listen, and try to stay out of the thread to allow you the most liberty without fear of reprisal.

Also, we'd appreciate goal-oriented advice as opposed to straight criticism. We're particularly interested in hearing about changes in rules, or execution of.

Thanks,
    - Staff

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Unfortunately I think the vast majority of all this 'tension' has been caused by outside events, though between forum members. I know, I'm privy to a fair bit of these back ground events, I just think it was unfortunate some of the shit made it's way onto the forums. As far as I can tell, there really wasn't much that could have been done on the forums to stop much of this.

So as for change of rules, I really have no suggestions, so you can feel free to delete this post if it's as unhelpful as I think it is. Reporting members and the like wouldn't really accomplish much seeing as how most of these events have been outside the forums. I will just say I feel as if this forum probably does have the best staff and rules in terms of strict-ness, they're fairly free to a reasonable extent. I just hope that doesn't change :)

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I think the staff has been lenient with imposing rules against certain members, hence giving them the confidence to say whatever they want and I believe that this is the core reason behind all these turmoil. So I'd suggest the staff members to treat all the users equally. If this is carried out consistently I believe there is no need for new rules and hopefully this'll also resolve the crisis.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I agree with Cartman, but I don't think that the enforcement of rules should be taken to an extreme. The name-calling and disrespctful remarks definitely shouldn't be allowed, but I wouldn't like to see people get entire posts edited out because something in there isn't exactly PG-13. Maybe just edit in a nice big NSFW or Not Safe for Younger Audiences.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Exactly. But well, I already PM'ed Andrea and told her all about it.

I'm really glad that more people think this. It's not because of 'the winter', no, it's because some people can yell things around here without getting warnings.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I don't see anything wrong with the way things are run around here. It's not staffs fault that people have problems with other people. The staff just has to step in if it gets to a certain point before it gets out of hand.

To be quite honest, the tension is self-induced and by no means a fault of the staff or the site as a whole. People are just seeming to be a lot more on edge and it seems some members think they are on a higher level than other members (not because they're treated different) which leads to some members constantly calling other members out for stupid reasons.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Us as posters should be able to stumble on here drunk in the middle of the night, break the rules, and be congratulated on a night well had.

I may post in here again.

Messy Marj

Yelling death threads with a big, really big ego. People have been banned for less than that.

It's stuff like that, that makes me sometimes wonder why I'm still here. But I'll patiently wait.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I agree with everything Daniel said.
    Seems to be the case to me, though I'm not so up-to-date on what goes on outside the forums.

I've got no problems with the mods at all.

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

Not entirely sure what I've missed here, and I daresay that I couldn't really care. To me this is another episode of the self-proclaimed LPA elite showing off their performance skills.

Nethertheless: A death threat is a death threat. The fact it's over teh intarwebs makes it have a little less spine perhaps - but it's still rather serious IMO.

Anyway. Yeah. Marj, Cartman - your posts have pretty much hit bang on what I've been picking up for some time now. Don't worry about it - I'll sort it.

I daresay that the approach was "for the common good", since these members that appeared to have leniency were considered 'popular' and banning them would have caused an uproar that I'm sure the staff would like to avoid. (I say "the staff" as technically: I'm not a staffer - however, this doesn't mean that I will be unavailable. If you have any problems, feel free to PM me). Unfortunately, this does lead to what you've picked up on. But yes, these decisicions were not made to annoy.

Following this, all members should expect a bit of a yo-yo until the staff have settled on a uniform way of handling infractions and what not. This might take a while, so please bear with them as it would be a real shame to lose some members who are valued for who they actually are, not just the size of their e-peens.

Cheers.

Or you could, you know - go outside and have your actual friends congratulate you for a good night, hm?

You're responsible for your own actions - hiding behind the "drunk" act? As fun as it is was for me, is not a valid excuse.

Messy Marj

Thanks Nikki. :)

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Amen.

People have a choice to interact with other members outside of LPA. Whatever negativity goes on outside of LPA shouldn't be dragged into the forums.

One thing I don't like is all this recent side taking bullshit. If a problem has occured between certain members then everyone else needs to keep their noses out of it and not all gang up on someone. I don't think I really need to go into detail about who I could possibly be talking about.

I've said it before. If people keep on complaining about how the LPA has become less fun over the past few months then it's only going to spread the negativity. If you feel the LPA has become less fun then do something about it. Evidently no one has up until now and look what's happened.

There are so many ways for people to tell the staff about any problems they might be having. Up until now I can see no evidence that people have actually done that so everyone who's been complaining is just as at fault for bringing this place down recently for not actually doing anything about it.

That's my two cents and I'll take whatever flaming people wanna throw at me but the fact of the matter is that if you leave a lit cigarette on a couch then it wont be long before the house is on fire.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I agree completely with Nikki's take on the matter. :)

With that said, the last thing I want to do is lay any blame on the staff members. Any time you have a large amount of people interacting with each other socially, there's bound to be some disagreements. Not everyone is going to get along. It's just a fact of life.

I don't think there should be any fundamental rule changes, since I
    think they're fine the way they are. I do agree that there should be a zero-tolerance for blatant and extreme rule-breaking (like death threats), regardless of the particular members status or post-count, though. Would some people complain about a popular member getting banned? Most likely, but I'd be willing to bet those same people wouldn't show the same leniency, or throw their support behind LPfanatik2730 with 20 posts, had said n00b posted the same thing. It's hypocrisy and elitism on the part of some of the forum members... plain and simple. The staff shouldn't take heat for doing their jobs.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

All I can say is, the offending post in which you and EVERYONE seems to be referring to in this thread, has already received a infraction (read: warning point), and thus has been taken care of to the best of our abilities. The person did not get away with the offense, and you can be sure that the member got the same treatment as everybody else, as well as an extreme verbal lashing over PM for what was said.

I respect your concerns, and we are now starting to give warnings (no points) for small offenses, and infractions (points...in which 3 separate points = a full ban) for severe offenses like the one you all have mentioned. We have listened to you folks and are trying as much as we can to keep the forums mature around here and maintain the peace. Please keep suggesting changes if you can think of any, and remember to hit the report a post button for anything you may find offensive so we can handle it properly.

We JUST banned Chris Luke (aka Franny), even though he was popular at one time...and a well known member here, because he brought trouble the forums and had received over 3 warnings to stop such behavior. Franny was an example of being 'too lenient' and you can be sure everyone for now on is getting 3 warnings, no matter what. 3 strikes, you're out, irregardless of the repercussions it might bring us. It's the way it has to be.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I have some things to say.

Although it's probably been said before, there's really one thing that needs to be done, and that is for everyone to chill out. The issue is that people are overreacting to everything, and as a result there is unnecessary tension and drama that's causing everybody more issues. And what I might say may come off as harsh, and forgive me if I say anything offensive. I'm just speaking my mind.

If you have your own personal issues, there is one place and one place only for that on this forum, and that's the Got Something You Want to Let Out thread. It's there so you can vent. Stop bringing your problems elsewhere so you can bring some heat with other members here. Even though you might not intend to do so, that's what is going to happen.

And there's also just the plain old fact that if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. There's no need to go tell someone something that's going to offend them. Keep it to yourself. You're just giving them attention. If they become ridiculously rambunctious, the staff will take care of it, I'm sure. The staff is here for a reason and they know what they have to do to keep things under control.

Another thing is that there are some people here who just sound mean and really need to start acting nicer. I won't say any names, but, I know there are people here who just act like jerks when it's really uncalled for. It's getting to the point where it's almost a sort of hypocrisy going on around here.

I'm really just sick of having to see this sort of shit on a forum of such decency. I like coming here because there are some really cool people here to talk to. It's not fun seeing people harass one another for the sake of just making the scene like, "Dawg, this shit is serious." It's unnecessary and really to put it simply, stupid. We're better than this. Let's act like it.

And just one last thing:

Everyone who is struggling with living life, I'm really sorry. I'm sorry you have shit to deal with. I'm sorry things are sucking. We care about you and we hope that things work out. But with everybody in mind, please don't let it affect how you treat others. We're here to be your friend, not your punching bag.

That is all.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

What he said X8000

Luke is totally right in everything he's said so far, IMO anyway.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Word, man.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Pretty much all I did was accuse someone of racism, and even if that wasn't the only thing the warning was for it was tipping point. And people still seem to be escaping punishment on the basis of how popular they are, or the fact that they're VIPs.

Luke. With respect, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. This has nothing to do with either the prank or outside matters. Ask anyone who's shown discontent recently and they will clarify that for me. Not to mention that you seem to have made at least a couple of posts about how people shouldn't take the board so seriously, when you're going to such lengths to assert yourself it could be said you're doing exactly that.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I understand that a forum isn't necessarily serious, but I still think that certain remarks do still hurt. That's all I have to say.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I dunno what the fuck your problem is Dean and quite frankly I don't care. The only thing I did was try to help the forums back on track by attempting to open people's eyes to the fact that these petty squables are pointless. Obviously I've just been an intrusion on you and whoever else has personal affairs going on with certain members of this forum thus wasting my time. Fine, I won't do fuck all next time. I'll just watch the shit go down so people such as yourself can spread negativity throughout this forum and ultimately bring it down.

Don't you dare try and turn my own point against me though. I love the LPA but the only thing I take seriously about is when people do things to fuck the whole place up. Instead of telling me I don't know what I'm talking about you should take my point in to regard and, quite frankly, grow the fuck up. I dunno if you've got shit going on in your personal life or whatever but that's not my problem if you do. As Louis said already, LPA isn't a place to use people as punching bags. So take your negativity elsewhere because as far as I'm concerned it's not welcome here.

To be honest you might aswell have left out the 'with respect' part of your post because it was nothing but disrespectful.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.