Most Surprising Album of 2004

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Nov 28, 2004.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I got this idea from the "Most disappointing album of the year" thread. Have any albums been released in 2004 that surprised you? Say, you had low expectations because you didn't like the band or their previous effort was disappointing. I had a couple.

I never was a big Slipknot fan, but 'Vol 3. The Subliminal Verses' really impressed me.

Jimmy Eat World's cd also surprised me. I though they were just some pop-punk band, but 'Futures' has surprised me with how good it is.

I never was a big fan of Sum 41 either. But 'Chuck' was also surprisingly good. Maybe it's because it sounds like a bunch of other different bands. :lol:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Sarah McLachlan's Afterglow.

Going into it, I thought the only song I'd like is Stupid, but it turns out the whole CD is fantastic, not a band song on it. It's really a wonderful CD. Anyone who has any kind of taste who at the very least download a few tracks, if not flat out buy the CD.

Can't say enough about it. Easily one of the best CD's I've ever bought.

Evi

Evi Super Member LPA Super Member

Cradle Of Filth -Nymphetamine. I didn't liked "Damnation And A Day" much, and I wanted something else. 'Nymphetamine' is diffrent, and great.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

Last year if you askeded me my opinion on 'Cradle of filth', I would of said I hated them with passion, but I found myself falling in love with their new CD.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Papa Roach - Getting Away with Murder

I really didnt like lovehatetragedy as much as Infest, so my hopes we're pretty much shattered...I still wanted the album though! But I think what made the album so damn good was the fact that I just got out of a relationship a week before the album came out! This made the CD alot better!

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Eminem - Encore

I haven't really gotten into Eminem too much this CD is amazing. He's gotten so serious on a few of these tracks and I really like it.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Bjork's "Medulla". Only using human vocals and Pro Tools to make an album. It turned out more beautiful that I thought it would.

My Chemical Romance's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge". I didn't really like their choice for first single but I got the album anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised. While I don't like most post-hardcore/emo-core/screamo bands these guys kick major ass. From beginning to end.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Slipknot - Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses

I never thought I would become a fan of Slipknot. Never. When I heard this cd, it changed my mind. This cd made me a fan because of the different direction the band took on this album. :thumbsup:

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Yes, I know they're in my list of 40 Bands You Should Stay Away From, but Relient K's newest album, Mmhmm really suprised me.

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

Eighteen Visions - Obsession

After hearing 'Waiting For The Heavens' a few times, it did get slightly boring, but I decided to get the album anyway. It turned out better than I had thought. Truly amazing.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

Most surprising album of 2004 - goes to Jay-Z and Linkin Park ;)

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

id say Slipknot:Vol 3 (the Subliminal Verses) because i didnt really find their music appealing until this album.. after listening to their previous albums it seems like this album is not as hardcore as the other ones and is more mainstream.. i never thought id be listening to their music but i love vol3 and because of this i enjoy some of their previous work.. i guess im pretty much a slipknot bandwagoner but oh well.. i bought their record and support their music..

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

"American Idiot" - Green Day

I expected it to be boring...and it wasn't. (I can't think of anything clever to say)

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Waiting for the Heavens has to be one of the best songs out there...it's basically the reason why I got the album! Hearing "Tower of Snakes" was the icing!

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

The Rasmus-Dead Letters
    I didn't know of this band before but when I first saw In The Shadows on MTV i was truly amazed.I bought the album and the entire 29 minutes of music is so good.They have a mix of many gernes.And whats more their lead singer[Lauri] sings somewhat like Chaz and writes similar lyrics.The albums's so kool that i can't find words to describe it

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I was originally disappointed with Eminem's Encore, with singles like Just Lose It & Mosh, however, after several listens, I think it's a bit too humourous, but still quite enjoyable.

Here's a verse from Rain Man:

You find me offensive; I find you offensive for finding me offensive
    Hence if I should draw out or line any fences; if so
    to what extents if any should I go? Cause it's getting expensive
    Being on the other side of the courtroom on the defensive
    They say I cause extensive psychological nerve damage
    to the brain when I go to lengths; this
    far at other people's expenses
    I say you're all just too God damned sensitive
    It's censorship and it's downright blasphemous
    Let's end this shit now cause I won't stand for this
    And Christo-pher Reeves won't sit for this neither
    And let's clear this up too I ain't got no beef with him either
    He used to be like a hero to me I even believe I
    had one of those 25 cent stickers on my refrigerator
    Right next to Darth Vader
    And Darth must of put a hex on him for later
    I feel like it's my fault cause of the way that
    I stuck him up in between him and Lex Luthor
    I killed Superman I killed Super-man, and how ironic
    That I'd be the bad guy, kryptonite, the green chronic

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

:lol:
    But he used to write better lyrics than this

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The most surprising album for me this year so far is Chevelle's This Type Of Thinking (Could Do Us In), because I didn't think they'd be able to match what they did on Wonder What's Next. That album was fantastic and, while it's not better than it, This Type Of Thinking... comes damn close to it.

Vampire

Vampire Banned

The Blood Brothers - Crimes

I don't fancy their older stuff as much as I did this CD. This album knocked me on my ass -- it's very professional and they've finally pinned down their own fucking sound. Don't get me wrong here -- their older stuff is enjoyable but it's nothing worthy as Crimes.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Me too. It was the album that made me a maggot.

This album, compared to the rest of the albums, sounds more mature. Not that the rest were immature, it's just that the past albums, they kept on going " f-ck this f-ck that f-ck you all" (like in Surfacing : "Fuck it all, fuck this world, fuck everything that you stand for") , but in this album they delved into that word, and brought out the emotions : rage, sadness, regret, insecurity, obsession, loneliness etc. It's like the human life... and the albums are like the rites of passages. In early years (IOWA, s/t etc), the most vulgarity is used, and there is rage and rashness too, and a "fuck-everybody" attitude, like a teenager would. This album, however, it's like they are more mature, more understanding of the world and less rash, although sometimes rage bursts out. The most surprising thing is so many peaceful, tranquil songs were produced. Prelude, Danger-Keep Away, Vermilion Part 2, Circle...like a mature person who finally understands himself, and is reflecting on what he's done, so there is a sense of quietness in those tracks.

Overall, Vol.3 is a very wholesome album, very well rounded. That's why it's my favourite this year. :)