Movies: Are They Worth It Anymore?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Mark, Oct 19, 2003.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

If you've been to a theatre recently, you've probably seen this anti-pirating commercial which talks about set designer David Goldstein and how pirating is ruining his life. I've seen the preview so much that me and my friend always grunt everytime we see the commercial. I almost know it word for word. Basically, David talks about how he was a set designer for movies like Ricard Tracy and how he met his wife on another set later on. He talks about how "pirating, it doesn't affect the producers, well maybe in a miniscule amount, but the one it affects most is me, the set designer. now some of us can't put together 12 straight months, and alls I wanna do is work...". This guilt trip angers me. There's more than a few reasons people don't see movies as often as before.

Point 1: It may not be that bad here in Canada but I know there's people in places in the US and other parts of Canada which experience the troubles of skyrocketing ticket sales. Now pirating may contribute to the prices, but how does elevating movie prices actually help? Most teenagers don't have a stable source of income so to scrounge up $10CDN or $7US may be a tough enough job once every couple of weeks. How can they expect people like us to be able to see movies? Teenagers are the big demographic region who view movies in theatres. Hightening ticket prices just alienates all your key customers to the point where they may only be able to see a half dozen or less movies a year instead of more than one a month. Hell, maybe they'll boycott theatres altogether.

Point 2: Again, not a big issue here, but what's up with some theatres not allowing food from other places into the theatre? They're trying to run a monopoly on what we're supposed to eat, even though we're keeping them afloat by buying movie tickets? Popcorn and a drink here is $8CDN, $5.75US, it's asinine. I can get a fries and a burger from the Burger King and a drink from the drug store for $4 combined. How do they expect us to give out nearly $20 with taxes included for about 2 hours of entertainment?

Point 3: Technology is screwing over many aspects of the entertainment industry. MP3's have heightened cd prices, movie piracy has heightened movie prices, tv shows are getting ripped and are getting downloaded (even though at large filesizes) by internet users who don't even need cable tv anymore because of it. You need to cope with it instead of making life more unbearable for the consumers. How do these company executives expect this all to go away? With a few commercials they air before movies and during tv shows, they expect the technological revolution to completely go away? It's all supposed to stop because they're trying to make us feel guilty? It's not going to work. Half the reasons people download and pirate more is because of the higher prices. I don't have the resources to shell out $20 a week for that brand new cd every week with only half the songs being good, and many other teenagers have the same problems. Same with movies. What's the sense of going out anymore and spending $20 for food and a movie when you can download it for free and eat better quality food that you want to eat during the movie? I say, these executive know nothing. 50/50 draws have kept people going to sports games because they actually reward the consumer with a chance to make money because he came to watching the activity. Why not make movies more fun? I must say that the music industry is getting smarter. These bonus DVD's and booklets and coupons all make music more enticing to buy, but the movie industry are still complaining, and not doing anything about it.

I had to go on a rant, sorry. I think that was worthy of a good read, so please try to read everything I said before commenting. :lol: Thanks.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I agree 100% and I think everyone would agree about this problem... Unless you're like, some rich person.

I stopped going to theatres because I couldn't even scroung up about $10 to go to the movies... That doesn't include food. I remembered when movies here were like, $5, and I could easily get that from my parents. Now it's like... Seeing two movies at one time. A lot of my friends have gone to the point of downloading or sneaking into more than one movie.

I haven't seen a lot of movies due to the prices being risen so high... I can't afford to see the movies I want to see anymore.

I've turned to piracy once, but since then, I've been waiting for it to come out on DVD so I could go down to my local video store and rent it for about $3. The wait is usually not worth it now days, but I think all this junk that make movies such a hassel to see is annoying. The last movie I saw in theaters was Bulletproof Monk. Since then I haven't seen a movie in the theater.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Haha. Point 4: Bulletproof Monk is capable of making you never want to see a movie again. :p

I know that wasn't your point, but what a terrible terrible movie. :lol:

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Totally agreed. Now everyone wants to steal our (teens) money by a subtile way. CDs, movies, clothes, and the tobacco industry targeting their "new customers".

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

No. Case in point, Gigli.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Amen. Oh, and Cabin Fever. Dont see that.

Ander

from justin to kelly, the new texas chainsaw massacre, daredevil... hollywood's shitlist couldnt get any longer.

Hybrid Soldier

Hybrid Soldier Y2K

hey at least they're going down now thanks to mp3's. :) yep i dont go to the theatres anymore because we only have 1 over here and its one month behind. :mellow:

I agree with everything you've said. I don't live in the US but I can say I wouldn't mind paying US$7 to see a movie because here in the UK, they charge us about £12 for a ticket depending on the day of the week and the time of day. If you go with a friend, two tickets are £24 plus popcorn and drinks will amount to about £30 (which is well over $30 if you want to compare prices). That's why I don't go to the movies a lot. I go every other month but only if there's a movie worth watching. I don't resort to piracy because I can't so either I get a DVD or I wait for the movie to be shown on TV. But then again, DVDs (especially new releases) are so damn expensive here you might as well not watch movies altogether.

P.S. I thought MP3's and movie piracy are meant to lower the prices so that more people can afford CDs and movies?

Ander

prices increase in an attempt to make more money, though no one will go because of the high prices. so they download.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

Great points. As for the movie thing, I just walk in for free :lol: , i have several friends that work at a local one. Music...well...if they expect me to buy it then it better damn well be good. But I really have a problem with these rich music artists complaining that they can't go out and buy a new ferarri because I couldn't scrounge up enough $$$ for their latest album. I also generally get my cds from my friends who've bought them. What difference is me buying one, when most of my friends already have, going to make in the long run? Not too much. The argument then is "well there are millions of people like you who do not buy and it makes a big difference". Well guess what? There are even more people who go out and buy the cd still. Hell, you don't even need to buy cd's to hear songs anymore. If its popular, the radio will mutilate it by playing it every 10 minutes. I support a band by buying their cd if I believe they are truly worth spending money on. I better like pretty much every song on a cd if I'm expected to buy it. You could even call that encouragment for bands to produce good music :lol: .

Bottom-line: Piracy aint goin' away. The RIAA may monitor Kazaa all they want. What about streaming audio? Internet Radio? Do they realize how easy it is to record those streams? Hell half the bands out there release their songs on their website that you could just record then are there. This whole 'war on piracy' isn't going to do anything but piss people off and make them find more ways to pirate music. There has to be an incentive for people to go out and buy this music, otherwise there's just no point.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

You are soo right. I don't see the point of going to a theatre anymore. I would rather wait for the movie to come out on tv or go to a friends house and eat their food. :p (I'm waiting for Matrix Reloaded to come out on tv or something :D) I'm starting to think the only people who actually waste all that cash to see a movie is to be able to make out or w/e without their parents knowing. :p~ And the food. ARG ! Wasting so much cash on food when its not even that good. I only liked the nachos, but to waste that much money just for nachos? I'd rather go to some 7/11 or some ####. I'm gonna get a flashlight and make my own movie. *makes figures*

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

I seldom go to the movies. This way, i economise to go catch Matrix and LOTR! :p

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Well, I *coughcough* download my movies off kazaa. They may be crappy quality, but at least I don't have to pay.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

:lol: You really hate paying, huh?

crazy_dips:-)

crazy_dips:-) Member

I totally agree with everyone...it costs on average about $20 to go to the movies and get some popcorn over here and most of the time it's higher than that...... I definitely can't afford to go to the movies that much so I make sure that I do go to the ones that are REALLY good ......I mean seriously the ones that I'm dying to see like LOTR....!!! Whooo!!!!!! Return of the King is coming !! Anyways, does anyone seriously feel all that guilty about ripping off artists...??? Do you know what I find really funny?? Well, there's this Sony ad on TV for an MP3 player and they go on and on about the features and stuff and then for one millisecond they flash the SONY logo on screen and at the bottom in tiny print there's the words "Stealing music robs artists".... barely big enough to read........:) That just cracks me up ...If anyone here knows what I'm talking about, just let me know. :D