Musical genius

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Dean, Apr 2, 2008.

Iain

Iain i am a sloth LPA Super Member

I forgot Matthew Bellamy.

Nick595

Nick595 Well-Known Member

Respect -5, I listen (and like) both bands, but I don't see why everyone is saying that Muse is a Radiohead rip-off.

Muse is creating a real sound now, which can be most seen from Absolution and BHAR.

So please, say something useful next time, or simply admit that Matthew Bellamy is a musical genius.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Matthew Bellamy, hands down.

And they are not a Radiohead tribute band, considering that Muse has definitely developed a unique sound. You really have no idea what you're talking about, Cale.

Being a listener of both bands, it was only early on in Muse's existence where they were fairly similar to Radiohead. Origin of Symmetry and Absolution definitely removed that similarity, and Black Holes and Revelations is only taking the bands farther and farther apart. Muse is becoming a more successful and more talented band. They are the best live act in the world right now and honestly, it's hard to find a band that doesn't respect Muse.

But to say that they're a Radiohead rip-off is crap, because Muse is in their own league right now. Radiohead is a great band but Muse is nothing like them.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Matt and Thom have a similar vocal style, but that's where the similarities end as far as current-day Muse and Radiohead.

As for the main topic, I don't really know what a "musical genius" is to be quite honest. Sure, there's a few artists I look up to more than others, but I don't concern myself with whether they're musical geniuses. I just enjoy ze music.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
    Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yes Cale, that was quite a shitty post you made there. :lol:

I don't consider anyone a musical genius, just like Tim, I enjoy ze music.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I don't know about musical genius, but Mike Shinoda is pretty damn talented.

Iain

He's a damn good pianist, despite my sister's comments about him.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

I'm not going to admit Matthew Bellamy is a musical genius 'cause he's not. You don't see why people think they sound like Radiohead? Instead of dismissing the notion, why not think there might actually be something in it?

Making a different sounding record to the last isn't making there own sound. I've heard nothing to make me think they're in anyway unique to alot of the stuff out there at the moment.

lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

Mathew Bellamy, Trent Reznor, Jeff Buckley, Lil Wayne (love his lyrics) oh and I can't forget John Williams. This is of course my opinion but I believe that as far as modern music goes they are geniuses. It's true that Mathew Bellamy's vocals may resemble Yorke's but it's just a similarity. I believe that they have different styles. Trent Reznor, well he's kept the band alive for quite a while and done some pretty great things such as the viral marketing done for Year Zero, Ghosts (something I didn't really expect from him) and all the other Halos. Jeff Buckley, though he died early I believe he could've done some great things. After so many years I can still listen to "Grace" and be amazed at his vocals, lyrics, and guitar playing. Lil Wayne's lyrics just have a sort of FLOW to them, gotta give him props for being so innovative with them. John Williams, is an amazing composer, he's created the themes for some of our favorite movies (i.e Star Wars 1-6, Indy Jones, Jurassic Park, list goes on), it takes a lot of talent to be able to create such amazing scores. That's my 2 cents, don't like it then....I don't care. :p

Iain

Wow. I totally forgot John Williams. John Williams is probably more of a musical genius than anyone mentioned here.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I think I'm in love?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

what constitutes a musical genius? probably people's opinions more than anything else.

lachina128

lachina128 Well-Known Member

Lol I'm glad you agree, but I agree with The Chemist. A musical genius is determined by popular opinion as well as their ability to create something memorable as well as innovative. I think all of the people mentioned in this thread have exemplified this.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Its weird when you really think about it because someone can be a genius based on intelligence and that has nothing to do with opinion but because art in any form is such a subjective matter, opinion would have a lot to do with a decision on who is a genius and who isnt.