NASCAR

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by NickelNine, Oct 19, 2005.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

Anything NASCAR related can be discussed here. So post away!

I'll set it off by asking a few questions:
    How many fans do we have on these boards?
    Or members that do not care for America's largest spectator sport?
    Do you like the new points format or prefer the old?
    Who is your favorite driver?
    Who do you think will win the championship this year?

I personally am a huge Tony Stewart fan and I am 50/50 for/against the Chase for the Cup and I think Jimmie Johnson or Greg Biffle will win it (if Tony doesn't!).

NASCAR NEXTEL CUP SERIES STANDINGS
    After: UAW-GM Quality 500

1. Tony Stewart Leader
    2. Jimmie Johnson Leader
    3. Greg Biffle -11
    4. Ryan Newman -17
    5. Mark Martin -51
    6. Carl Edwards -54
    7. Rusty Wallace -92
    8. Jeremy Mayfield -115
    9. Matt Kenseth -124
    10. Kurt Busch -142

Next: Subway 500 at Martinsville - Sunday 12:30 pm ET
    Bud Pole Winner: Tony Stewart

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I prefer the old points format. If they would've kept it the way that it should be, Jamie McMurray (my second-favorite driver) would've finished in the top five in points last year.

My favorite driver, though, is Rusty Wallace. I hope that he can pull off a championship win this year. That would be the greatest thing that's ever happened in sports. Seriously.

NickelNine

Rusty winning would be huge for the sport. There aren't many drivers that could do what Rusty can do for the sport if he wins it.

EDIT: Rusty should have put Jamie in his car. Jamie was/is the perfect fit.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Nascar fan since 1993 here. :p I'm kinda iffy on the Chase format, it makes things more exciting for the top 10 spots but it eliminates the race into the top 10 and who gets to be on stage at the awards at the end of the year. I don't watch as much as I used to, I got kinda bored of it but I still watch races every now and then.

NickelNine

I've been a fan since 1997. My earliest memory is of Rusty flipping at the start finish at Talladega. My dad was a huge Earnhardt fan so he watched NACAR all the time and I caught on. But I'm not sure what year that race was.. I watch old school races on ESPN Classic all the time and I try to never miss a race. I've seen every race but around 5 since the start of the 2001 season.

EDIT: typos

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Anyone who knows me knows I love cars, but I hate Nascar. Nothing puts me to sleep more than golf and watching a bunch of mullet-mobiles going around in a circle for 500 laps. Seriously, any schmuck can make a bunch of left turns. Add in some hills and sharp turns, and get rid of southern announcers who don't speak coherent English, replace the cars with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, ect, and I might be interested.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I grew up on Initial D, so I'm a lot like Todd except it's all about downhill drift racing.

Which I do often.

Whenever and wherever I can find downhill curves in Texas. :lol:

NickelNine

I grew up on Initial D, so I'm a lot like Todd except it's all about downhill drift racing.

Which I do often.

Whenever and wherever I can find downhill curves in Texas. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Initial D is pretty sweet! Drifting is cool! I actully got to ride in a 2004 Dodge Viper SRT10 on a drift course type thing and it was amazing!

Todd: :lol: That was a classic stereotypical comment. Do you like Formula 1 or any other form of racing?

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Not really :lol:

The racing I enjoy is going down to the local dragstrip and watching regular people with regular cars with some modifications go at each other. It's always interesting to see what people can do when they don't have the funding Nascar and the like have. Then, the racing I enjoy even more is when I race my car. Done it before, want to do it again and practice, even though my car is slow

NickelNine

Not really :lol:

The racing I enjoy is going down to the local dragstrip and watching regular people with regular cars with some modifications go at each other. It's always interesting to see what people can do when they don't have the funding Nascar and the like have. Then, the racing I enjoy even more is when I race my car. Done it before, want to do it again and practice, even though my car is slow [/b][/quote]
    That's respectable. I have a bunch of friends that do the same. But since you don't like other racing I won't attempt to defend/promote NASCAR.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I hate how corporate and politically correct Nascar has become, even if it is stereotypical, the whole redneck style is what made the sport popular in the first place. Now it's all squeaky clean and goody-goody. The only good races to watch in my opinion are at Daytona, Talladega, Indianapolis, Bristol, and the road courses. Atlanta and Charlotte (I still refuse to call it Lowe's) are really fast but they suck from a racing standpoint. It's just not as fun to watch as it was even 5 years ago.

NickelNine

NASCAR has gone mainstream. They want to compete with the NFL so they go for the entertainment side versus the racing side (Chase for the Cup) to get viewers. Also, they are making more and more cookie-cutter tracks for no reason. But I think Atlanta and Charlotte are some of the best tracks. The racing there is great (except this year at Lowes).

EDIT: How could I forget about the car of tomorrow?! Add that in there. And abou the drivers, they are way too passive. No emotion anymore (see Jimmie Johnson among many others).

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Personally I hate NASCAR but i do love the champcar racing.

NickelNine

Champcar eh? Were you a former IRL fan? Or do you like F1 as well?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

My earliest memory is Rusty flipping down the backstretch at Daytona on February 14, 1994. What a great day that was. I watched my first race and found my favorite driver. He's my hero.

NickelNine

:lol: My first race I went to, 2001 Daytona 500, Tony flipped. Later on, Earnhardt died. :wth: