New Apple Line.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Aaron, Jan 10, 2006.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Apple has shown off the first of their new computers to run on Intel processors at MacWorld today. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Also, they have shown the new/upgraded iLife, iWork and .Mac.

check them all out at Apple.com

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i quite like them too - impressive :)

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

:lol: I love that line on their site.
    "What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A lot more than it's ever done in a PC"

Oh man, that was a great punch at Microsoft for not using hardware properly. xD

I want a fucking MacBook now, no matter how fucking stupid it sounds, it definately pwns.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I want a MacBook too :D

The only new product from today I can afford is OSX 10.4.4, and thats because the update is free :lol:

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

*drools* (slightly)

ultramar

ultramar Well-Known Member

Nice, now all they need to do is get decent games to run on them and im might consider one.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Seeing that the new iMac and MacBooks are Intel-based, there's a possibility, I'd think. :)

ultramar

ultramar Well-Known Member

It's mainly the operating system they have to program for, lynix uses exactly the same hardware as windows but still doesn't have as many games available for it. it comes down to wether the devolper want to spend time and importantly money making ot work for another operating system.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Linux.* >_<

Yes, it is up to the developer, but now, they might be more motivated to develop for the Intel-based Macs now because they're not too far from being similar to Windows. Just wait for the Apple computer userbase to rise, then that'll get more devs interested in dev'ing for Macs.

Aaron

Hate to blow your hopes, i love Apple as much as the next guy, but that will be a very long time happening. Windows almost owns the market, whiel Apple pretty much owns the portable player market(which Microsoft is going to take a big stab at with a rumored handheld that can play games, video, pictures and music.)

The most you can do really is jsut keep spreading the word and hope people switch.

Todd

Apple's market share is rising, there's no denying that. Its just going to take awhile, not overnight like some people expect.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Yes, I agree with you, but the "X-Player" is a Microsft product, unlike the iPod, it'll be full of bugs. ;) :lol:

And yeah, like Todd said, the market share is rising, although it'll take a very long time to take a larger percentage.

Aaron

Oh I didn't say that they're shares weren't rising, I know that. They just can't take a giant chunk out of Microsoft shares in terms of the computer market, they have to nibble away at it.

Microsoft already have a portable gaming, video, internet, music device. It's called the laptop. And there are millions of them already.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Yeah, that's what I meant too.

Well, it's not exactly Microsoft's fully, but yeah. So does Apple then. ;)

Todd

Laptops aren't portable in the same way PSPs and iPods are. Sure, you can take them places with you and they run off batteries. But you can't walk around with them, stick it in your pocket, ect. Plus, could you imagine playing an FPS on a laptop with a trackpad >_< As far as an actual portable device goes, Microsoft really doesn't have a damn thing. The best they've got are contracts with other companies to produce some crappy WMA players.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

They need AMD in mac. That would kick ass. Intel are inefficient as goes clock speed and such.

Todd

For PCs, I'm partial to AMD (I've always used AMD in any PC I've built due to cost and performance). But, IMO, they're not as big of a company as Intel and possibly could not support Apple's demands....which was the problem they had with Motorola (G4) and IBM (G5). Intel is a bigger company than AMD. Yes, Motorola and IBM are huge companies as well, but Motorola is known for their (shitty) cell phones and IBM is known for their computers and servers. Processors weren't what either specialized in. Intel's main product is processors and is all the company really focuses on, so I think they're a good choice for Apple.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i never heard of amd until i got a laptop and that's the processor in it...it's really fast so i am assuming it is a good thing. better than intel, i think.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

It's always the great big battle between AMD and Intel. What's stupid is that if I remember correctly, Intel forces some vendors to sign a contract to sell only their stuff, and not AMD. Pisses me off.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Okay, so now that I'm working, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a Mac. I know I've said it before, but I'm serious now. I've been using them at school, and I really enjoy working with them.

That being said, I need to know something.
    When exactly do new Apple products come out?
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac Mini, iBook, or possibly an iMac/PowerBook.
    None of these (except the iMac) have, to my knowledge, been updated to the Intel chip. Will they be?
    If I'm going to spend this amount of money on a computer, (it's quite a bit for me) I'd prefer to be up on the latest technology for that system, if only for a short while.

Also, what do you think is the better deal here?
    The way I figure it, if I purchase the second-tier Mac Mini, it'd cost around $859 including a MightyMouse, keyboard, and LCD monitor from NewEgg or Bestbuy or something. Now it has some pretty good specifications, at least to my standards, but it's not exactly portable.

I've been using my school-issued (i.e. piece of junk) laptop quite a bit at home lately, and I really enjoy the laptop. That's what made me think of getting an iBook. The only thing is, that with an iBook, the specifications aren't as great as I'd like them to be, and I'm afraid I'd be disappointed. I'm planning on using this as my main computer. And it's $100 more than the Mini.

I'm just not sure what to do.
    Also, I see this AirPort advertised, do I have to have that? I know the Mini I was looking at comes with the AirPort installed on it, can I use that with the router I have now?

And my family will still be using the PC, so if not, will the PC be able to get internet access from AirPort?

Thanks.