New Disturbed Music

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Reed To Black, Jun 23, 2015.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, my opinion still stands. That song was just awful. It was bland throughout and I swear I have heard better lyrics come out of Meteora.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Meteora? Those lyrics make Papa Roach look like wordsmiths...

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

I love Disturbed, but I agree with what everyone's saying. Fire It Up is a terrible song.

Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

[video=youtube;Yvwo8f3SXKA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvwo8f3SXKA[/video]

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

On the scale of Disturbed songs, that one was on the "Better" side of things.

Bawa

So, it leaked.
    I wrote my thoughts alongside my first three listens.
    Disclaimer: Written on the fly by somebody who isn't terribly good at writing cohesive things in the first place.

The five words of Disturbed: Generic, bored, uninspired, safe, forgettable.
    1. Eye Of The Storm: An intro, essentially just someone playing with a guitar, sets the album up for a mood that definitely doesn't follow.
    2. Immortalized: Was one of the songs released before the album leak. I thought it then and I think it now, it plays the role of Indestructible and Asylum played on the prior two albums, being a hard-hitting intro that sets up a pro-violence theme. Although Indestructible set that up better, and Asylum was just a better track in the first place (imo). Feels weak.
    3. The Vengeful One: The reveal single for the album, a very generic Disturbed track. Only thing this track does notably for me is the rather pleasing pre-chorus bridgey section, which is a nice chill transition.
    4. Open Your Eyes: Another entirely forgettable generic Disturbed track. The bridge hits nice and hard?
    5. The Light: This is a surprisingly interesting track. The back synth elements are nice, it's a startlingly more positive track that slowly bounces forward with a airy and poppy effect to it. Most unique thing I've heard so far, but still not really anything special or memorable, just a slightly different take on the same thing.
    6. What Are You Waiting For: Another of the songs released before hand, ultimately forgettable, but as I stated when it first came out, it lays on the "better" scale of generic Disturbed tracks, for what it's worth.
    7. You're Mine: Whoa, for a moment I thought they were going to forego the guitars for a few moments, but half way through the first verses they fire back on and don't let up for the rest of the track, which is a shame as the track had quite a neat sound going on for a few moments. That aside, the verses are quite well done on this track, with a real nice stepping beat behind them. The chorus on the other side sounds like any other chorus from the band, but this track definitely lands on the more notable side, if only a tiny amount.
    8. Who: Uninspired, safe, generic Disturbed. Complete with title chanting, awkward throat-clearing between verses and a extremely forgettable chorus that drags on some very obviously bored writing.
    9. Save Our Last Goodbye: Completely and entirely forgettable, absolutely nothing notable or unique about it.
    10. Fire It Up: The final song that we heard before the leak dropped. Oh god, the pain. Probably some of the cringiest lyrics this band has written. The riff is kind of fun, but not very special.
    11. The Sound of Silence: Didn't expect that one, but it was welcome. A nice peaceful piano ballad that slowly climbs in volume alongside one of David's most calming vocal deliveries. I could perhaps call it a bit boring, but it feels more like a breath of fresh air from the mind numbing boredom from the rest of the album.
    12. Never Wrong: A "The Sickness" B-Side, perhaps? Sounds right at home, and actually makes this one of the more enjoyable tracks on the album for me (I definitely hold a soft spot for The Sickness). Actually a fun track, nothing too unique but something about this one keeps me interested.
    13. Who Taught You How To hate: *yawn*, sounds like Immortalized with less energy. Do I even need to repeat those five words?
      Bonus Tracks
    14. Tyrant: I give up. There's nothing to say. Judging from this track alone, the deluxe edition seems like a total waste.
    15. Legion of Monsters: Have I said generic, bored, uninspired, safe and forgettable yet?
    16. The Brave and the Bold: A fun solo resides in this track, but otherwise it sounds startlingly similar to Legion of Monsters.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Wow, so many harsh vibes in this thread! Everyone should smoke a peace pipe! Kidding aside, I listened to Fire It Up again and I still do not understand the major criticisms with its lyrics. It's pretty obvious that this was meant to be a lighthearted, fun song, so if anyone is taking it too seriously, they're missing the point. True, it doesn't have the greatest lyrics ever, but for a song with this kind of subject, what do you really expect? That hard-hitting riff is damn catchy, too! Also, the background colors reminded me slightly of Scooby Doo, probably something to do with the Mystery Machine's colors!

Really, I don't get what several of you are complaining about. Disturbed has plenty of serious songs with strong messages, so why can't they just let loose and have some fun for once?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Bawa

[​IMG]

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Uhh...that doesn't really answer my question whatsoever. I know what point I'm trying to make, so I'm not missing anything. I guess I'm just on a different page with other members when it comes to lyrics. Normally, I pay attention to lyrics more than other elements, at least when I'm first learning the message of a song. Some songs I tend to make exceptions for, like Fire It Up, if I understand what the song's purpose is. If you do a little research, you'll find that this was meant to be a fun song that reflects David Draiman's tendency to smoke when he's writing a lot of the band's songs. So yes, it really does puzzle me why many are so opposed to the lyrics of the song given the surrounding context.

Also, this isn't the first time that a band has written a song about this particular drug. I guess it can be said that pot's growing popularity isn't sitting well with everyone in the music scene. I personally do not smoke and probably won't until/if it gets fully legalized in the States.