New EP Titled 'Post Traumatic' Released from Mike Shinoda, Includes Three New Songs

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ChesterFan

ChesterFan New Member

I hate to bring it up, but we have learned since July 20th that Chester had suicidal thoughts as far back as 2006, and even attempted suicide in 2016. Chester also mentioned that he thought about suicide during the making of One More Light, which was revealed in the Upset Magazine featuring Mike and Chester in 2017. I didn't want to bring it up, but I felt like it was a point that should be made, because I don't think Chris Cornell's suicide was responsible fully. I'm not saying you said that at all but I've seen a lot of people say that, whether it be online or in my actual life. Now, I do think that Chris Cornell's suicide surely may have pushed him over the edge a little bit, since he was already struggling with suicidal thoughts of his own, and he was a really good friend of Chester's. We can never know if Chester was planning it or not, but it was strange that it happened literally on Chris's birthday. Maybe he got really depressed the night before, he was drinking and he was alone in his house for the night before and morning of his suicide, you can piece the rest together. Again, I didn't want to bring up such a sore subject, but I think it was worth mentioning.

About One More Light being sad lyrically, as many people have pointed out, it had some optimism in the lyrics at times. It was still sad and dark, but it had it's moments. I personally think that Minutes To Midnight was their darkest album lyrically, but One More Light is probably close behind. A Thousand Suns was very dark too, but in a different way than those two. But anyways, it's no secret that Chester was going through some serious shit during the writing of One More Light, as well was the entire band, according to Mike. So naturally, the album featured some of that stuff lyrically. I don't think Chester's suicide in 2017 was something that just happened randomly, he said in many interviews that 2015 and 2016 were the worst years of his life and we know that he tried to even take his own life in 2016, etc. It was building for a while, he was going through it for a while. We'll never know exactly what happened that one night in 2017, I don't think anybody will, because he was alone, etc., but we have learned about why he considered it in the first place.

And lastly, I commend Mike for writing this Post Traumatic EP. You can hear the pain and hurt within him, and these are beautiful songs in their own way. I think it will also help the fanbase heal a little bit as well, even though we might never fully ''heal'' from it, but I think Mike is taking us under his wing with him during these times.

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

While I agree with everything you said, I think we should try and avoid diving into discussing Chester's potential motives, or previous attempts. While it would help some people to understand what happened, in the same light it also could cause some people to be triggered and we don't want that. In time it may be more okay or acceptance to discuss that, but for now...with it only being 6 months out, lets try to avoid going into the "how" or "why" if we can. The wounds are still fresh for many.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  3. insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Oh God no I don't want anyone to be triggered Derek. I'm sorry I guess I didn't think before I posted. Sorry people.

I have to mention I wasn't aware Chester attemped suicide in 2016 I must've missed that. Did he talk about it when he discussed breaking his ankle?

Yeah I agree with others some songs on OML were motivational and uplifting to a degree. Like Sorry for Now and SE. Two of my favorites on the whole album. I have a question about Sorry for Now, at about the 1 minute mark, what is up with that strange part that Black Bear was involved with that sounds like a high pitched voice going "whoa whoa wow whoa"? I haven't seen anyone mention it and am curious what other think. Trying to end my post on a positive to make up for my mistake earlier sorry again.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

You’re not at fault for anything, it’s just a sensitive time still, that’s all. Derek was just being conscious of a situation that’s still fresh.

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

On topic, what are the odds we get a full album yhis year or next year?

I want more music from Mike after hearing these 3 songs. It would be cool to see what he could come up with.

about2break likes this.
  6. StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

While the band supposedly said that they planned to release an album every two to three years starting with THP almost four years ago, this time around I think they should not rush into releasing a follow-up to OML. Each of the five is dealing with the loss of Chester differently. We have an idea of what Mike went through. It'd be interesting to hear the others' perspective(s).

7. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Uhhh...yeah...I think it's obviously safe to say all prior rules this band established are LONG out the window. The 2-3 year thing definitely doesn't apply anymore.

I think the five of them need a long time before they're even ready to TALK about getting back into the studio. After that, it could be another good long while before they have ANY idea of what Linkin Park's music is going to sound like now.

I think it's probable that we get more stuff from Mike every now and then...and possibly a single or two from the band after a year or so. Another album? I don't see that happening for a while still.

minuteforce likes this.
  8. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Mike said in a tweet that they all have intentions of continuing on the band but it is going to take time. We need to be patient. It will happen when it does. As far as Mike releasing music, Take it with a grain of salt. He's doing this as an outlet. I fully support him writing and releasing songs that deal with the subject PT dealt with considering this will take less pressure off of the next LP release to focus on it. I wouldn't expect anything more from him, but if we do, take them as gifts.

about2break and Blake like this.
  9. Blake

I meant a full Mike Shinoda album not a Linkin Park album but thank you for the replies :)

Hybrid likes this.
  10. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

These three songs come close to having more sincerity and being more accomplished than the entire One More Light. For one, they don't sound like they came out of a robot-operated assembly line. I'm still kind of embittered by the fact that Chester's final album was his, and his band's, worst.

Michele likes this.
  11. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah, i see it also this way.

lime treacle likes this.
  12. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I absolutely disagree with this comment in every way shape or form. Yes these three songs are very sincere and sound very accomplished, but I disagree considerably with the notion of OML songs being 'robotic' feeling or 'insincere' or 'Chester's worst'. But I'd rather not debate with you in a thread concerning an EP written about Chester's passing. So I'll state that I disagree with you and leave it at that.

13. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

I'm going to get hate for this, but what you just said is highly disrespectful imo. It seems like some people still don't get it and they are once again being opinionated about this particular album. I'm sick of people taking every release as a chance to bash OML and put it once again under the label of " Worst Linkin Park album". Guess what ? many people think it's not, these people actually exist. "Sincerity" is subjective, you can't just assume these things in a situation like this. It's funny that people's major criticsm is that it sounds robotic and overproduced when album like Hybrid Theory exists. I think songs like "One More Light" and "Nobody can save me" prove that there is at least some sincerity to it. It's good to be respectful sometimes towards a deceased singer's last work even if you still think it's bad.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Sasuke likes this.
  14. blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

"One More Light" is my favourite Linkin Park album. :)

lime treacle and zazofazo like this.
  15. lime treacle

Of course my post was subjective. It's all my opinion. This is a message board, I don't think a disclaimer is necessary that what I'm saying is what I think.

I know, I fully respect that, and I didn't imply otherwise.

What I meant was not the inherent sincerity, which is hard to dwell upon, but the sincerity that I feel comes out in the songs when I listen to them.

I don't think Hybrid Theory sounds robotic or overproduced. But it's okay if you don't agree, dude!

Those are places where I can really hear it, as well as "Sorry for Now" and "Sharp Edges" which are my favourites (and the only tracks I fully enjoy) on the album.

I wouldn't say that I disrespect it. I certainly think it's their worst album, though, and I don't see how it's wrong of me to say so. I'm not going to sugarcoat my opinion because Chester did what he did. It affected me like it did anyone else on this forum.

minuteforce and Michele like this.
  16. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah, i guess sometimes its really hard to get someone in a non-verbal way. But that is the way i read your opinion.

lime treacle likes this.
  17. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Fair enough, it could have been worded much better though imo of course. I thought at first that you are stating your opinion as a fact, like those people who call OML "objectively bad". Thank you for clarifying :)

Michele and lime treacle like this.
  18. lime treacle

Yeah, I see now that it doesn't help that I literally used the word "fact," but I blame that partly on the English language :lol:

Michele likes this.
  19. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I think these things are always changing. Sometimes albums I hated from certain bands at first listen are now among my favorites, these include albums like Sempiternal, Phobia, Science Fiction by Brand New, Hiss Spun by Chelsea Wolfe, Once by Nightwish. Even Post by Bjork I found very quirky at first, but I think her voice is not quirky, just unique. I think it happened with Hybrid Theory too because from what I remember I listened to it when going back to the catalog after having bought LT, but I had heard some of the biggest songs even before HT. Music is one of the most subjective things, if not the most. With HT it was good I lstened to it way after it was played everywhere, so I didn't call it overplayed :lol: It depends on the countries too, here in Portugal I only heard about LP on Minutes because the other didn't get much airplay around 2004/2005. Even Numb/Encore got much more airplay than HT. Bands like Within Temptation are quite big here, but never blew up in the US, not even when Evanescence helped these bands grow in Europe.
    Speaking of Evanescence, it was gigantic here, 71 weeks on the charts and 80k copies sold, 2x platinum then, now would be 8x platinum. The highest charting LP album was Minutes with 37 weeks, don't know how many copies, but should be around 30 or 40k.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    lime treacle likes this.
  20. Blake

One More Light ia my 2nd least favorite Linkin Park album so I understand where Robert is coming from.

I enjoy One More Light though just not as much as the first 5 albums.

I do agree that Mike nailed the Sincerity in the lyrics that they were trying to hit with One More Light. This EP takes that concept and evolves it to perfection.