New Xero Information Unveiled: Mike Discusses Xero's Equipment & Recording Process

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Oct 11, 2016.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

To celebrate the launch of Linkinpedia (a worldwide fan effort that we both encourage, and plan to help keep as updated as possible), we here at the LPA are happy to provide to the fans some previously unknown Xero information, taken directly from Mike Shinoda himself.

Sat on for almost an entire year, this information was given to us around the same time Mike provided the LPA with the 'official' Xero Demo Tape lyrics. At the time this information was provided to the LPA, Mike had asked us to wait a few months before releasing it, and now...here we are! Enjoy this new insight into Xero, taken directly from Mike himself!

On The Possibility of a 20th Anniversary Xero Celebration/Official Remaster:

"We’re not planning to do anything with a Xero anniversary, since the start of the band was amorphous and didn’t really have a “start date.” It kinda vaguely came into being over the course of [a few] years.

Those recordings that you have [demo tape] are almost definitely the highest quality versions. "

Xero Equipment List (Complete with Commentary from Mike)

"For fun, here’s the FULL list of gear Mark and I had when we made the early demos. You’re welcome to include this list with your post. I had been collecting these pieces one by one, starting when I was probably about 13. Most of them were used when I bought them.."

Tascam Porta 07
    [​IMG]

"Everything was recorded on one of these. It had a max of four tracks; I would record on three and bounce those to the 4th, then record over the initial 3. Finals would be bounced out to a separate cassette recorder."

Yamaha PSR 510
    [​IMG]

"Used for keyboards, mostly bass."

Roland MS 1 sampler
    [​IMG]
    "Played up to 4 samples, didn’t have an internal sequencer, was meant to be played by hand"

Akai S900 Sampler
    [​IMG]

"A 12 bit sampler that saved on floppy disks. A classic. I still have it!"

Alesis HR 16 drum machine
    [​IMG]
    "I didn’t use this for its sounds; it was my sequencer, and was used to play the samples on the MS1 and S900..."

Shure SM58 microphone - "All vocals."

Fender Strat Guitar - "Mark’s first (and only) guitar."

Crate G20 Amp
    [​IMG]

We hope you enjoyed this special look into the history of Xero as much as we enjoyed learning about it! What are your thoughts? Do you own any of these pieces of equipment? Let us know in our forums!

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Good, now I don't feel so bad about what little gear I have.

TheInterframe and Captain-EO like this.
    TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

I mean, this just proves that the cost or amount of gear you have doesn't matter, it's really how you use it. It's pretty inspiring in my opinion.
    (Side note: I remember Mike mentioning Akai S900 Sampler before, I don't remember where though, I love old music gear, it'd be fun to play with this stuff)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I still use an SM58 for all my vox rec, haha, but I'm gonna look into getting something better in the near future

I really just have a computer, keyboard controller, audio unit, headphones and speakers (plus aforementioned microphone).

We might not have much but, now more than ever, you can do so much with a little. Largely thanks to good software. :)

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Agree. I used to have more instruments but had some circumstances where I lost all my things. I just write with a guitar and audio interface now. It's weird since I used to write everything on keyboard before. But the point is that seeing Mike's super modest beginnings puts things back into a clear perspective. At least I have something to use. I always thought that the LP guys always had decent money and good equipment, for some reason.

I wish more artists and bands would talk about and bring out their old stuff like Mike did here. It's humbling to a lot of young artists who have unrealistic ideas about what they need to make music. Many of us can't afford custom shop instruments and acclaimed studio equipment.

TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of this stuff was dragged out for Live Performances, stuff like the S900 seem like it'd be a bitch to haul around

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Since it doesn't seem Derek saw Kevin's shout in the shoutbox, I'll be the asshole here: HEY DEREK, FANCY UP THE POST AND MAKE IT MORE PRESENTABLE. AT LEAST CENTER THE PICTURES AND STUFF.

OR KEVIN DO IT YOURSELF I DON'T KNOW I JUST WANTED TO ALL CAPS.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I dig it. Nice post, guys!