NHL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Mark, Jul 13, 2005.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yah I know that it probably won't happen but it has happened before. But yah if all goes well he should be cocered into the NHL like Joe Thornton or Vincent Lecalier did. He's not expected to put up huge numbers in his first season or two but gradually he will adjust and get used to the style of game and will be a top guy in a few years. [/b][/quote]
    Most definately. I'd be shocked if he doesn't win the Calder trophy and get at least 40-50 points, though.

Anybody want to start guessing on who gets Crosby? I've got a weird feeling with the New York Rangers. I'm going with them.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Everyone's saying the Rangers.... but then again, they're the best bet since they still have all their balls ( :lol: ). I'll make a completely wild guess and say the Blue Jackets.

Edit: Wow, Mark, you're really putting all your money on Crosby. You do realize he's extremely non-NHL proven, correct? I think he's a safe bet for the long run, but not for the short run.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hockey is back! There is a god!

I find that hockey is the only watchable sport...

Mark

Two words: Michael Ryder.

Two years ago, he was paying his dues in the East Coast Hockey League, the lowliest of junior hockey leagues in Canada. He's from Newfoundland, where I live, a place virtually unknown of producing viable NHL stars. Montreal drafts him as a low-rounder. He scrapes his way onto the Montreal team. By the end of the year, he's the league leader in scoring. If someone like Ryder who had no records in junior, no MVP awards, no playoffs experience, and no recognitiopn can do it, Sydney Crosby can. You haven't seen him do the things I've done. He's absolutely incredible. He's a twenty-five year old player trapped in an eighteen-year old body.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Two words: Michael Ryder.

Two years ago, he was paying his dues in the East Coast Hockey League, the lowliest of junior hockey leagues in Canada. He's from Newfoundland, where I live, a place virtually unknown of producing viable NHL stars. Montreal drafts him as a low-rounder. He scrapes his way onto the Montreal team. By the end of the year, he's the league leader in scoring. If someone like Ryder who had no records in junior, no MVP awards, no playoffs experience, and no recognitiopn can do it, Sydney Crosby can. You haven't seen him do the things I've done. He's absolutely incredible. He's a twenty-five year old player trapped in an eighteen-year old body. [/b][/quote]
    I think you just proved that you can't compare Crosby to Ryder yourself by stating everything he had to overcome.

Like I said: Crosby will be amazing, but I think people are going to be in for a rude awakening if they think he's going to be amazing the first two seasons. I think he'll have an average or decent rookie season and sophomore season for sure, but I think it'll take him 2 or 3 years to be anywher near the top of the league.

I think Washington's Alexander Ovechkin is much more NHL-ready, it's just that he's not Canadian so he wasn't getting the massive hype (although he was getting quite a bit) that Crosby was. Ovechkin and Crosby are the NHL's future to be sure, however.

lp_sk8ergurl

lp_sk8ergurl Well-Known Member

Some thought TV was boring without the NHL.

Glad it's back.

Mark

I think you just proved that you can't compare Crosby to Ryder yourself by stating everything he had to overcome.

Like I said: Crosby will be amazing, but I think people are going to be in for a rude awakening if they think he's going to be amazing the first two seasons. I think he'll have an average or decent rookie season and sophomore season for sure, but I think it'll take him 2 or 3 years to be anywher near the top of the league.

I think Washington's Alexander Ovechkin is much more NHL-ready, it's just that he's not Canadian so he wasn't getting the massive hype (although he was getting quite a bit) that Crosby was. Ovechkin and Crosby are the NHL's future to be sure, however. [/b][/quote]
    I'm just saying that if some unknown player like Ryder, who completely pales in comparison to Crosby, can come out with a rookie scoring title (or close to it, I'm not sure if Hunter won that), then surely the best prospect to come out of junior hockey in a decade can match and surpass what Ryder accomplished. He's had pressure on him for the last 3 or so years and he just consistently thrives from it. From two straight years being the QMJHL's leading scorer, and leading Canada to a silver and gold medal at the World Junior Hockey Championships averaging well over a point a game, I can see Sidney doing amazing things. Would they be on par with what Gretzky did? Of course not. But I'm just predicting that he will not disappoint and he will be the league leader in rookie scoring by the end of the year. He will make an impact from the get-go, that's what I'm predicting.

Ovechkin, on the other hand, does not seem like the next Fedorov or Kovalchuk. If he keeps acting up in the NHL with his flambuoyant fist pumps and mocking of other players, he's going to be the one with a rude awakening. He tried to be a hot dog at the 2005 World Junior Hockey Championships and Canada checked the living hell out of him and sent him out of the game as punishment. He's got alot of maturing to do, and if he doesn't mature, you'll see him on an injured list in no time. :lol:

I think it's quite evident that we have differing opinions on whether Crosby will perform excellently (for example, by winning the Calder trophy or rookie scoring race) in his first year. We'll just have to agree to disagree and see who's right when the season starts and progresses.

Meanwhile, I'd like to go on a rant on how stupid the NHL is for not hyping up this draft lottery. Here we are with the NHL's brightest star in over a decade going first overall in the first major event in the NHL since the lockout began, and there's not even live TV coverage? They should be pimping out Sidney Crosby to American television networks and talk shows! Create a little excitment in a snoring American market by showing a highlight reel of some of his best goals and whatnot. Surely, there's better ways to market this event rather than having the draft lottery behind closed doors.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Ryder came out from nowhere. If you're going off of the rule "well, if a late round prospect can make it then everyone is going to make it" then you're far off. By that logic, Alexander Daigle should be leading the league in pretty much every offensive category.

I don't know if I'd predict Crosby making much of an impact from the get-go. Yes, he'll have an impact, but I doubt he'll lead rookies in scoring. We'll see if he does, but I think he'll be in the top 5 for sure, but I don't know about number 1. He's got a ways to go, if you ask me. I've seen his stuff, I know he's amazing, but I also think it'll take a little bit of time for him to adjust (I know he's on a high minor league level, though, don't get me wrong).

Ovechkin is acting like any other Russian player does (or European, for that matter). Fedorov, Bure, Kovalchuk all did that when they got in the league, and all of them turned into absolutely amazing players -- and they all made an impact from the get-go. It really doesn't matter if he's mature -- Bure still hasn't matured that much, in fact. Fedorov and Bure still celebrate goals wildly (mainly Bure). They both pumped their fists, "sheathed" their sticks, etc. Do I like that they do it? Nah, it's unsportsman-like. Do they have targets on their back, though? No, everyone on opposing teams know that their teams have their backs (and in the case of Fedorov, know that he's got his own dang back! :lol: ).

Ovechkin is similar to Bure in that he can outskate most anything opposing teams throw at him... so let opposing teams keep trying to check him -- as soon as they do his team is going to take action. The NHL is vastly different than the minor leagues. Players don't like it when others celebrate, but they're not going to put a target on that player's back unless it's extremely rude, or if they go after one of their own players.

But, yes, agree to disagree, as they say. I think Ovechkin and Crosby will both have great rookie seasons, but I don't think Crosby is going to be the God-send everyone's expecting... for the first year or two. He'll explode soon after, though.

Oh, and you beat me to it... I was just going to say how stupid the NHL for not allowing draft coverage -- when stations were BIDDING for the rights to it! That's one of the few times you'll have stations bidding for the rights to anything NHL in a long while.

Mark

Yep. ^_^

I never knew stations were bidding for rights for it. Do you have a link? I think they shoudl try selling it to SpikeTV. What sport is more exciting and physical than hockey? (Football may be physical but it's only exciting in small minute long bursts, hockey is usually on-edge for the most part of the game). They say it's "television for men", and men love physicality in a sport that's exciting. It's perfect for their scheduling.

Looks like Canadian television network TSN will be getting exclusive rights to the draft lottery, actually. TSN is owned by ESPN, so maybe they'll carry it as well. Not sure, though. Source

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Anyways, not just casue i'm an Oilers fan I'm saying that they are gonna get the first pick but rather becasue I dont know when the last time they had a high pick in a draft let alone the top pick. I got a good feeling they could strike gold. As for the Crosby situation i wold be willin to put money on it that he wont win the Calder. The Calder always goes to some surprise player every year. Gretzky didn't even win the Calder, but that was kinda a different situation.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Yep. ^_^

I never knew stations were bidding for rights for it. Do you have a link? I think they shoudl try selling it to SpikeTV. What sport is more exciting and physical than hockey? (Football may be physical but it's only exciting in small minute long bursts, hockey is usually on-edge for the most part of the game). They say it's "television for men", and men love physicality in a sport that's exciting. It's perfect for their scheduling.

Looks like Canadian television network TSN will be getting exclusive rights to the draft lottery, actually. TSN is owned by ESPN, so maybe they'll carry it as well. Not sure, though. Source [/b][/quote]
    I saw it on an NHL message board... I'll try and find it, but I may not be able to.

Mark

The players ratified the deal today with an 87% majority of 550 voters. The league is officially back in business.

Tomorrow, the GMs will ratify the deal and then have the draft lottery at 4pm EST on TSN. They'll also announce the new rule changes.

forgottenlp52

forgottenlp52 Well-Known Member

Please tell me the Flyers are playing.

Mark

:wth:

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

So who's watching the draft lottery tomorrow then? :lol:

I'll just have to at least watch who gets Crosby, I wasn't until I got an unexpected call saying I'm off work tomorrow...so bring it on.

I am also hoping that Gary Roberts will go to Ottawa, that would piss my Leaf-fan brother off so much :D

Mark

Fuck that. Roberts' heart is in Toronto and he wouldn't go to the enemy and play with the likes of Chara and Alfredsson, who he despises. :lol:

I'll be watching. I'm highly anticipating it.

Looks like Jeff O'Neill, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, and Scott Neidermayer have their eyes on Toronto. I hope we only get Allison and Neidermayer, resign Roberts and Nieuwendyk, and buy out Nolan. O'Neill's overrated and Lindros is one hit away from having his career ended.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Roberts' heart is in Toronto and he wouldn't go to the enemy and play with the likes of Chara and Alfredsson, who he despises. :lol:

Looks like Jeff O'Neill, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, and Scott Neidermayer have their eyes on Toronto. I hope we only get Allison and Neidermayer, resign Roberts and Nieuwendyk, and buy out Nolan. [/b][/quote]
    I think he will stay in Toronto too, unfortunately. But about the free agents looking at Toronto...how many dozen free agents say they want to play in Toronto every year? Nothing ever surfaces really, but I guess with the whole financial reorganization there is going to be a lot of movement in the league as of August 1st.

I just like that the NHL is back. One thing that really pisses me off with Toronto is their ticket prices, and that they didn't lower their prices after the cap came on. I hope that there are more St. John's Majors games (OHL) at the ACC. Great hockey and close seats are only like 35 bucks, compared to 200 for a Leaf game.

Mark

I think he will stay in Toronto too, unfortunately. But about the free agents looking at Toronto...how many dozen free agents say they want to play in Toronto every year? Nothing ever surfaces really, but I guess with the whole financial reorganization there is going to be a lot of movement in the league as of August 1st.

I just like that the NHL is back. One thing that really pisses me off with Toronto is their ticket prices, and that they didn't lower their prices after the cap came on. I hope that there are more St. John's Majors games (OHL) at the ACC. Great hockey and close seats are only like 35 bucks, compared to 200 for a Leaf game. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah. :lol: But I think we'll get at least one of them.

And yeah, it's ridiculous how the Leafs won't lower ticket prices. but they know they could charge $300 for every seat and they'd sell out every game.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Looks like Jeff O'Neill, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, and Scott Neidermayer have their eyes on Toronto. I hope we only get Allison and Neidermayer, resign Roberts and Nieuwendyk, and buy out Nolan. O'Neill's overrated and Lindros is one hit away from having his career ended. [/b][/quote]
    I have to disagree about Jeff O'Neill, personally. He is an amazing scorer, and I think he's underrated if anything (he's not exactly in a large market).

No one should go after Lindros unless he agrees to play for an extremely miniscule amount... his career is almost over, and he's not even the player he once was, or anything near it.

Mark

I have to disagree about Jeff O'Neill, personally. He is an amazing scorer, and I think he's underrated if anything (he's not exactly in a large market).

No one should go after Lindros unless he agrees to play for an extremely miniscule amount... his career is almost over, and he's not even the player he once was, or anything near it. [/b][/quote]
    I think he's considered to be one of the best players in the league because he's the best player on a lowly team like the Carolina Hurricanes. But who knows, if he came to Toronto for a low price and felt motivated by playing for his favorite team, maybe he'd do great things.

Reports have Lindros offering to play in Toronto for $500,000 plus bonuses. I still think there's better deals out there (namely Allison for about 1 million). Would I complain if he came, though? No.